What should a Dealer do to a new saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dealer does pretty much the same thing Lake and BloodontheIce described. However, when I bought my 361 he put a tach on it and spent quite a bit of time adjusting the carb. He said it was at the high end of the factory spec when he first started it, so he richened it up to slow it down some. As with my other saws, he told me to bring it back once I'd run a few tanks through it and he'd readjust the carb if needed.

Bought a 353 last yr. from a Hq/Stihl dealer. He never offered to fire it up and I had to insist on it (sounds like your dealer Longwood) . He did give me a break on a couple of loops but no hat. :cry:

My dealer told me on the 346xp was set to run slightly rich. Run 5 tanks through it then bring it back for readjustment. Got power box for $25, 2 chains. 18" husky bar, oregon file, and hat. Also 6 months same as cash using husky credit. That husky card could get me into trouble.

I will be picking up my first saw this afternoon, a Stihl MS 260. The dealer said he will put a big of oil/gas and bar oil in for me. Start it up and run through it with me.

Not sure what else I should expect. I'll let you know what else he does.

I am getting a free woodpro kit with the saw (fall promo) includes case, cap, chain & DVD. Only b/c it was originally purchase backed in Nov when Stihl had a sale promo.

Anything else I should ask him to go through with me. I'll make sure the chain break works.:monkey:

It depends sometimes on the worker at the store. My local shop is also a hardware store and the service depends on who you are dealing with. When I bought my ms270, the guy gas started it and reved it a little and handed it over to me. He said that the mechanic always starts the saws up before putting them up on the self. I was fine with it because I have experience with chainsaws but if I was a newbie, I wouldn't have been happy without a little bit of teaching.

When I bought my first Stihl [moving away from my old Echo], the dealer asked me a number of questions, conversationally. I think he was checking out my experience, since he'd never seen me before, plus my needs. We discussed it all and decided on the saw right for me [I had some idea already when I went in, he went over the options in my power/use needs]. He went over the saw with me completely, filled the oil/gas, showed me the chain-tightening stuff and the safety features. Only took a few minutes. He fired it up, made sure the carb was adjusted right, ran it thru a log he kept out back. Asked me if I had any more questions.

Next time I went in there for a new saw, by which time he knew me since I'd been going in there for various things since the first purchase, he checked out the saw but there wasn't anything to show me about operating. By that time, he knew I knew what I wanted and was educated and experienced in using the saws. However, had I needed more of his time, I know he'd've given it to me. Doesn't hurt that he likes to lean against the counter and visit.

Last edited:
Given the choice, I'd want the saw to be handed to me still in its unopened box. But that's just me.

Not only you, that's my preferred way too. With my 2147 I even got to choose which unopened box I wanted to take, so even the box was mint. The 250 on the other hand, came thoroughly scratched underneath from being properly assembled, tested, adjusted and demonstrated directly on the ground. Tom, could you make it a requirement for Stihl worldwide to use one of those little carpets you yourself use with new saws? As a Stihl customer I would appreciate it, thank you.

Owww, ok, I will not be be unfair, what (little) I know of saws that I haven't read here, comes from that dealer, he does an excellent job of selling Stihls products as Andreas and Hans-Peter intended. It's just that I like to do my own scratching...

:cheers:

So I picked up my saw yesterday afternoon. :biggrinbounce2:

I arrived at the dealer and they had it ready and waiting for me. They took it into the back filled it up and gave it a test start. Then they brought me into the back area of the shop.

He went through the starting up process then through some of the different safety features. Seeing as this was my first saw I had all sorts of questions, he happily answered them all. He was quite adament about maintaining the saw and with good reason. He showed me some of the different maintence I should preform. I guess it will take about 5 tanks of gas until the saw starts to break in he said.

I'm going to buck up some wood this weekend and see how she performs.

:blob2:

So I picked up my saw yesterday afternoon. :biggrinbounce2:

I arrived at the dealer and they had it ready and waiting for me. They took it into the back filled it up and gave it a test start. Then they brought me into the back area of the shop.

He went through the starting up process then through some of the different safety features. Seeing as this was my first saw I had all sorts of questions, he happily answered them all. He was quite adament about maintaining the saw and with good reason. He showed me some of the different maintence I should preform. I guess it will take about 5 tanks of gas until the saw starts to break in he said.

I'm going to buck up some wood this weekend and see how she performs.

:blob2:

Congrats! You'll need to change your signature line now.

dealers

Both my dealers take me in the "back" and get the saw, take it out of the box put B+C on it, do a overall check, put mix and bar oil in it, fire her up, and tune the idle, and run it WOT for a little bit, once warm, he then checks it with a tach. My 385 was a little under 13,000rpm, new. Then he hands me it with owner's manual and screnches and says,"here you go".:chainsawguy: :D :laugh: :rockn: ;)

My dealer has a pile of wood in the back... so if you wanna cut a little with a saw you can.

They also use the wood to test saws in the cut.

Most good saw shops around here that cater to loggers are set up that way.

Gary

logs

My dealer has a pile of wood in the back... so if you wanna cut a little with a saw you can.

They also use the wood to test saws in the cut.

Most good saw shops around here that cater to loggers are set up that way.

Gary

Oh, BTW, they both have test logs, if you want them to see what it is doing in the wood. Matter of fact, I have supplied both of them with test logs in the past, got good benefits off that. Before I gave them a test log one time, they where using a piece of split firewood to cut, lol.:laugh: :laugh: :rockn: :D ;) :chainsawguy:

Latest posts

Back