what should i price this tree at?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well at least U could Spike-it without punching into the cambium,most likley. A guy on either side taking each others flip line up.
Or alternativly supend inverted giant tub-grinder from chinnok(x2 maybe)
No worries mate Iam here to help anytime.

Holy Schnikies!

I hope the people that want that tree removed have an A$$ load of money. It would probably take my entire college fund to pay you to do that tree. I have no idea on how to estimate a tree of that size but I would have to guess it would be somewhere around $30-$50k? Thats a shot in the dark. Tell me if I am way off.

Weelll, seein as there enuf lumber in that beaut to build at least 40 houses.......or make 30 billion toothpicks (bout all sequoia is good for), i'd say it would be easier to move the house!! That looks like a coast redwood, and regretfully , some old growth is still being logged. I think all the biggies, like that one, are protected.

I don't recognize that tree, but the General Sherman tree, the largest living thing on earth, has 55,040 cu feet of wood volume, or 660480 board feet. That is about 150 log truck loads. Clear doug fir and redwood used to bring $1400 per mbf. you do the math........

Reference:

"Forest Giants of the Pacific Coast" by Robert Van Pelt, ISBN- 0-9968413-1-1

For more fabulous tree photos and stories, get Gerry Beranek's CD-Rom "A Tree Story" available at Bailey's.

Here's an old shot of what was surely one of the largest known Douglas fir. it looks to be 15-17 feet dbh. Tallest documented fir was 393 feet tall. It fell in 1931. Current tallest is a coast redwood at 367.8 feet, when last measured. Doug fir at 326, and some Aussie euc's are over 300 feet.

Last edited:
Spike, i'll be the tree hugger and camp out in 'er to keep you at bay....

Only way you could get me out is if you locate Ginger and bring her to the base of the tree......last known to be in vegas, tahoe, or her cabin outside Sacramento.....

or this gal would do in a pinch.....:

http://www.ottermedia.com/LunaJulia.html

my god..........

rb,
what a tree!!!!!!!!!! thanks for the photo!!!!!!!!
i now have a new goal to work towards......
heading out west to see that tree!!!!!!!!!!!!
i don't know what else to say........
speechless in vero:p

Vero Beach?

Budroe,
You hail claim to Vero Beach as your stomping grounds? Thats cool. I didnt know that was where you were located. Thats not that far from here.

Hey Brett,

If spike notched it just so, it'd probably go through about 50 houses.......

......and make toothpicks outta them too.....

cept Brooklyn is mostly brick.........

the pic was taken in yosemite. i saw the sherman tree at sequoia nat park that rb mentioned. they have the cubic feet posted, so i was trying to figure how many truck loads of chips.
the most fun was walking among the redwoods up north. some blow overs would take down 4 or 5 monsters just like it. one feels like a bug walking among those giant tree's. theres still stumps with spring board notch's.
i'll try and post more pics of them .

The Tree Chick Julia

What an obsessed woman. Living in a tree for two years! I hope the tree was good company. I am sure they had long talks in the night. What do you do in a tree for 2 years. Read the entire congressional library?

spike,

The "baby" sequoia that we removed a few years back, was about 80 feet tall, 60 foot crown spread, 27.8 feet in circ. at the ground. It produced about 30 yards of chips. We gave the wood to a wood carver. The butt log weighed about 25,000 lb at 24 feet long. The root flare had to be trimmed for the butt cut, and then more to fit in the trash truck along with the rest of the logs. It still got stuck and took an hour plus to off load....After we craned it, the operator set it down, butt first and upright in the road. We used a ladder to rechoke it in the appx middle, for loading.

Latest posts

Back