What should it cost to get a bar rebuilt?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golddredgergold

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Heading out with a 36" Mcculloch bar off of my SP 125. I would like to know the going rates to get a bar this size serviced up and ready to go on my mill. At the same time I plan to buy a ripping chain. Our local dealers seam to be way over priced on everything. I have not asked for the bar service yet but want to go in knowing what it should run. Thanks for the help!

by rebuilt what do you mean? new tip, rails ground and trued, chunks missing and need repaired, Post some pics and we can help.:msp_confused:

It is straight and not warn bad or anything just rusty tip. So I would say a general tune up New tip, grind rails, and trued. Here is the pictures. Been sitting for 25 years. This was my dads saw and I have run it a bunch when I was 10-14years old cutting wood with my dad. I turned 39 today! Last it run was around 25 years ago. We are rebuilding the power head now and want to get the bar serviced or need to know if I have to spend the funds on a new bar. In which case I will bump up to a 48". Chain spins through freely.
100_9929_zps523afb00.jpg

100_9928_zps849fc58e.jpg

100_9930_zps85b5dbe0.jpg

That bar still has most of it's paint I doubt its hardly worn at all, after a few cuts that rust will be gone...just use it ;)

I would give that bar a good groove cleaning. I run a cabinet scraper down in the groove to remove the gunk, clean the oiler holes. Make sure the grooves aren't wallered out and the bar rails are even, chances are they're fine. I say that because from the exterior, it looks like it was lightly used. You could remove and repaint the tip and that would definitely pretty it up. Nice saw BTW.

Is that a Beta trials bike I see?

Last edited:
The local bar guy up here charges around $50. Could be more or less depending on the condition of the rails, but the average is 50.

yeah, I agree with above about just running it.

If the tip spins free, and the bar is straight then it doesn't need any major work. Just file the rails if there is a bit of a burr and clean the groove out. That's just standard maintenance that you need to do yourself anyway.

Just clean it good and get the tip to spin free and wire brush the tough rust and you'll be good to go. I doubt if you need to spend any money but maybe 10-15 minutes of time, some spray cleaner, and compressed air.

I'm with everyone else, clean it, file it and run it!
Is that a Beta in the background? I used to have Montesa Cota 349, I think it was a '81 model. I had a blast on that thing, trials bikes are fun.

Sounds great fellas! Thanks for the tips! I will give it a once over and then mount it in my new mill. This thing should cut like crazy! I will order a .404 ripping chain for it to.

Yes guys that is a Beta trials bike. We have three trials bikes My son and I. We ride vintage class. I have a Bultaco 350 Sherpa T and my son rides an Ossa 250 Mick Andrews. The Beta is his play bike. It is a Techno 250. Just plain good fun and it keeps me off the dirt bikes ripping through the woods at full speed. I am getting to old to be doing that. But trials riding is a blast. I will do it till I cannot walk!

Back