What should my next saw be???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBull

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I need a midlevel saw to "complete" my arsenal. I am thinking either a modded 026 or a 036. Whats everyones suggestion?

I have already:
Stihl MS192T
Stihl 025
Stihl 064
Husqvarna 154 AE

An 034, they were a good saw. I used a 036, not impressed at all, really a Husky guy but Stihl do make some good saws (020, 066, 034 etc). How about a 372xp, I hear they are going cheap because they are been phased out.

im in the same boat, looking for the same thing. i have an echo340, stihl 029, and 044. i think im goin to buy a new 260. used the 026 and new 260's for about the past two years. best dang saw on the market in my opinion. small and make killer power. had two with my old crew, one with 16" bar and one with 18". both were awesome

I've never used an 034, but like clearance, think it's a great saw. Buddy's got an 036, and I've used it, and thought it to be a good saw, but the new 361 is quite an improvement, and if you're gonna buy new, that'd be my recommendation. All of the saws talked about here, 026/034/036 are all good saw, with proven track records. I think it comes down to what you'll be using it for, how much the weight of the saw matters to you, and how big of a bar you'll be needing to pull.

Jeff

clearance.
The Husky Rep. told me that the 372 will be produced until the end of April. I haven't witnessed any special price reduction in my area on the 372. Most of the dealers that still have a few have increased the price on them. Distributors have just increased the 372 list price by 50.00. If anybody does want one, they better find one while they still can. Jonsered still has the 2171 but who knows for how long. I just picked up 6 new 2171s because the 372s are starting to be hard for me to get.
Later
Dan

Dan-I assumed the price would come down like it did when the replaced the 371 with the 372. Fish-I used an almost new ms361 my boss gave me for slashing little trees beside the line. Hated the stupid gas/oil caps and the chain tenshioner. Put a new chain on it, came of at full throttle and cut a little hole in the gas tank. Back in the truck with it. Next!!! The 034 is a better, way tougher saw. Maybe I just had a dog saw, but the caps alone are enough for me to put it in the reject pile. The ms200 is such an awesome saw that its stupid caps seem like no big deal.

026 & 034S

I love my 026! Got my first one in 1989....Stolen, second one in 1991. It's still running strong. I run 3/8" 20" bar and only cut hardwood for firewood. IMO the 20" is fine up to about 16" wood. For bigger stuff, like 30" oak, I use my 034 super I got in 1992. 61.5cc, 12 lbs. I run a 20" bar on this also. I can burry the bar as long as I don't try and force it and I think it works fine. The last time I used an 044 I did not think it was much different than my 034 super....except it was heavier. With sharp chains these saws have always served me well. I keep them clean and they always start and run well. There are lots of good looking 026's on ebay that are homeowner saws. I would not be afraid to get an older one thats clean. I cut here in the desert, and have run these saws in the summer when the ambiant temp in the shade is 105, and these saws run well even then. I quit when it's over 110. If I could only have one saw ( wouldn't that suck!) It would be an 026 Stihl . Sorry, but I don't know squat about the ms 260's.

Ive never run any of the saws mentioned. I am looking to run a 18-20" bar on my midlevel saw. I am leaning towards the MS 260 just because of the awesome things everyone says about them.

BUT

I am buying a like new 036 Pro from a soldier I know who used it less than 10 tankfuls. he said mayb e 15 hours on the saw cutting homeowner stuff. I am picking this up for 200. So I might use this for a little while saving up for the MS260.

I used to have an 026 and loved it. I originally bought both a 16" & 20" bar for it, but ended up using the 20" for everything (I have short legs so I don't have to bend far at all to reach to the ground).

That being said, there isn't much of a gap between your 025 and an 026, but there's a huge gap between the 025 and the 066. Therefore I would buy the 361. I bought one for Christmas and man do I love it! I thought my 026 was really something until this saw!

Latest posts

Back