What should Stihl do

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really! The only Dolmar I ever see is in here.
garfieldhangover.jpg

I'm not dogging Dolmar. I'd love to go out and try one out. A jonsered too for that matter. I just don't have anywhere reasonably close to go. The one Dolam dealer that's not too far away, told me last fall he carries no more inventory.

Yeah apparently the majority also likes rap music, king obamy, and anything else that the boob tube tells them they should like. Conformists-sheeple if you like.:check::hmm3grin2orange:

Hey if you don't mind playing second fiddle we sure don't. Just remember the view from behind is always the same,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Come now Tom. I thought surely you'd have some ideas for improvement. If Stihl didn't need to improve, they would never have need to bring out new models. :cheers:

Wrong once again Grasshopper, thanks to the EPA the last 20 years alot of new models had to replace the old models, no choice in the matter. Also bringing out new models aren't for improvements over the old, its called keeping up with the times. Do you think a 1965 Chevy pick-up was a improved model over the 1964 Chevy truck or just a new model,hmmmm.

Now where is your constructive ideas young man, lets see them...

Don't forget...

Wrong once again Grasshopper, thanks to the EPA the last 20 years alot of new models had to replace the old models, no choice in the matter. Also bringing out new models aren't for improvements over the old, its called keeping up with the times. Do you think a 1965 Chevy pick-up was a improved model over the 1964 Chevy truck or just a new model,hmmmm.

Now where is your constructive ideas young man, lets see them...

Don't forget manufacturing processes, profitability, cost saving outsourcing, marketing, etc. The big evil corporations don't put out new models necessarily because they like the customers, but because they have to show a profit and growth in sales year to year. We all basically get a dumbed down version of what a saw could be because of all the variables...

I'm not dogging Dolmar. I'd love to go out and try one out. A jonsered too for that matter. I just don't have anywhere reasonably close to go. The one Dolam dealer that's not too far away, told me last fall he carries no more inventory.

I'll have a new 5100S here getting a port job and unlimited coil soon. You can stop up and check it out if you like.

In that case you should thank the EPA for changing the entire product line:greenchainsaw:

Edit: Damn, Tom had the same reply:bang:

Quit blaming the EPA, sure they had something to do with it, not all. I would be willing to bet my bottom dollar that the marketers at Stihl embraced all of this green low emission crap. The masses will pay more for green crap because thats what they were told to do. +1 for sales. Before long they'll be made in china like everything else. The bottom line dictates what is in the product lineup.

Don't forget manufacturing processes, profitability, cost saving outsourcing, marketing, etc. The big evil corporations don't put out new models necessarily because they like the customers, but because they have to show a profit and growth in sales year to year. We all basically get a dumbed down version of what a saw could be because of all the variables...

To a degree your right but some corporations have to answer more than others. Stihl has no stockholders to answer to.

Now the question was what can Stihl do to improve. If you look at their track record of sales, brand reconition, brand loyalty it seems Stihl has done its job much better than the competition. Therefore the question should had been what can the competition do to improve to topple Stihl, wouldn't you agree??

Quit blaming the EPA, sure they had something to do with it, not all. I would be willing to bet my bottom dollar that the marketers at Stihl embraced all of this green low emission crap. The masses will pay more for green crap because thats what they were told to do. +1 for sales. Before long they'll be made in china like everything else. The bottom line dictates what is in the product lineup.

So wrong...

The masses have no idea there is anything greener about one model verses the other. All they know is that they are more expensive. Seen any any "green" stickers on any saws?

From 1998 the EPA made all manfs dumb down the performance of the existing lines... but from 2010 it isn't possible to make them any dumber, so new models are required.

. If you look at their track record of sales, brand reconition, brand loyalty it seems Stihl has done its job much better than the competition. Therefore the question should had been what can the competition do to improve to topple Stihl, wouldn't you agree??

Hey, here's an idea. Husky can pay Stihl to take a timeout so they can catch up in market share. Dolmar can pay both to take a 6 month vacation so so they can establish dealers...

sure.. it's all great fun until someone gets hurt:chainsaw:

Well I figure it like this. Seems ole Space likes to use Stihl as his way of picking and starting a thread to stir up the masses and I'm cool with that, all in fun I say. However when the naysayers chim in and start dishing and piling on I feel its only fair to come right back, the old deal of if ya can dish it ya best be able to take it ya might say. Nuttin like a good romp every once in a while. Those that can't take the heat can stay in the kitchen and cook viddles,LOLOLOLOL

Hey, here's an idea. Husky can pay Stihl to take a timeout so they can catch up in market share. Dolmar can pay both to take a 6 month vacation so so they can establish dealers...

Ouch, now that was mean, true but mean, shames on ya Lake,LOLOL

I have pondered for a long time what could Dolmar do to be able to take off the Makita diaper and not have to suck the Briggs&Stration bottle. Surely thats got to be a helluva way to survive.

Husky has wised up fast, they have been rasing prices like crazy, they should have done it long ago. Dolmar should too, this non-sense of trying to buy the market with low ball prices has never worked and never will.

So wrong...

The masses have no idea there is anything greener about one model verses the other. All they know is that they are more expensive. Seen any any "green" stickers on any saws?
Right it is the marketing department that tells the masses what they should buy, and having that market share will allow stihl to dupe even more customers.
I'm not going to believe for one moment that the Stihl corporation isn't interested in cost saving and profitability above all. They do operate on the same planet as the competition right?

Well I figure it like this. Seems ole Space likes to use Stihl as his way of picking and starting a thread to stir up the masses and I'm cool with that, all in fun I say. However when the naysayers chim in and start dishing and piling on I feel its only fair to come right back, the old deal of if ya can dish it ya best be able to take it ya might say. Nuttin like a good romp every once in a while. Those that can't take the heat can stay in the kitchen and cook viddles,LOLOLOLOL

+1:poke:

Ouch, now that was mean, true but mean, shames on ya Lake,LOLOL

I have pondered for a long time what could Dolmar do to be able to take off the Makita diaper and not have to suck the Briggs&Stration bottle. Surely thats got to be a helluva way to survive.

Husky has wised up fast, they have been rasing prices like crazy, they should have done it long ago. Dolmar should too, this non-sense of trying to buy the market with low ball prices has never worked and never will.

To be honest... I like things the way they are. You can't buy a used pro stihl or pro husky in good shape without paying for it. I picked up my Makita for around $300 used. I've ran pro stihl and pro huskies and the Makita is every bit as good for way less. Kudos to Makita/Dolmar for keeping the price reasonable.

Right it is the marketing department that tells the masses what they should buy, and having that market share will allow stihl to dupe even more customers.
I'm not going to believe for one moment that the Stihl corporation isn't interested in cost saving and profitability above all. They do operate on the same planet as the competition right?

There you are correct but what you seem to refuse to admit is they do it better than anyone else in the biz, they got the numbers to prove it, the most dealers and following as well. So with the facts as they are why is it so hard to admit it? To catch them someone else is going to have to improve, not Stihl.

Back