What should Stihl do

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some Dolmar dealers are doing very well over here, although they have a lot less money to spent on marketing as you suggested. I'd rather put my money in a well trained dealership network rather than TV commercials or newspaper ads. Stihl can afford it as they have the reputation already and advertise just to keep up the brand recognition.

As far as Stihl is concerned, they will have to develop their range of saws to stay ahead of the others. Timber Mc Pherson listed a few good ideas imo.

I for one would like to be able to order Stihl parts on-line, even with a high price ticket. For example, I order all my bearing and seals online with a german webstore, and it simply is a real handy and comfortable store. I would still order from them even if they increased their prices by 25 % :Eye:

Even if they increased their prices 25%, hmmmmmmmmmmm. I gotta go re-do a e-mail Belgian, be right back,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I'll guarantee you that adding more options for the customer will increase their satisfaction. I see Stihl dealers harping on taking care of the dealer, but they seem to skim over the fact that they're doing their customers a disservice and causing an inconvenience with their service setup.

You name anything you like, from pizza to deodorant to doctor's appointments to cars, and I can buy it in a few minutes online. Why are saw dealers lagging behind the times in this aspect?

People buy Stihls in spite of their parts policy, not because of it.[/QUOTE]

Whats that tell ya Space. I've always said Stihl is the hardest saw on the market to buy because you have to get up off your azz and come get it. Same for the parts and oddly more people get up off their hiny and come get a Stihl than they do setting on their hiny ordering online. There has to be a justified reason why people are willing to do that. Whatcha think it is Space, maybe they got a good chainsaw to offer,hehehehehe

I'll guarantee you that adding more options for the customer will increase their satisfaction. I see Stihl dealers harping on taking care of the dealer, but they seem to skim over the fact that they're doing their customers a disservice and causing an inconvenience with their service setup.

You name anything you like, from pizza to deodorant to doctor's appointments to cars, and I can buy it in a few minutes online. Why are saw dealers lagging behind the times in this aspect?

People buy Stihls in spite of their parts policy, not because of it.

Whats that tell ya Space. I've always said Stihl is the hardest saw on the market to buy because you have to get up off your azz and come get it. Same for the parts and oddly more people get up off their hiny and come get a Stihl than they do setting on their hiny ordering online. There has to be a justified reason why people are willing to do that. Whatcha think it is Space, maybe they got a good chainsaw to offer,hehehehehe
Not saying Stihl doesn't make a good saw. Just remember though, at one time Jeep made a good truck and at one time Studebaker made a good car. :cheers:

Not saying Stihl doesn't make a good saw. Just remember though, at one time Jeep made a good truck and at one time Studebaker made a good car. :cheers:

Your right. I worked at a Jeep dealer once, what a nitemare, transmissions falling out of those things fast as they could put them in.

Back to Stihl though regardless of what anyone may think of them they are always on their toes and they strive hard to keep their place in the market. They aren't going anywhere no time soon. If all the makers were to fold, each and every one, I would put my money on Stihl being the last man standing...

Your right. I worked at a Jeep dealer once, what a nitemare, transmissions falling out of those things fast as they could put them in.

Back to Stihl though regardless of what anyone may think of them they are always on their toes and they strive hard to keep their place in the market. They aren't going anywhere no time soon. If all the makers were to fold, each and every one, I would put my money on Stihl being the last man standing...

Could be, but I think as the computer illiterate generation retires and the younger, more savvy generation comes to expect more from their money, Stihl and others are going to have to implement online sales. I think their policy now is only shooting themselves in the foot in the long run.

Could be, but I think as the computer illiterate generation retires and the younger, more savvy generation comes to expect more from their money, Stihl and others are going to have to implement online sales. I think their policy now is only shooting themselves in the foot in the long run.

Well maybe but the old man, Stihl, doesn't see it that way. He feels every part ordered online is taking profit away from some dealer selling his product. My rep got together with a few other and tried to talk Stihl into allowing parts to be ordered online. The reply was short and simple, no, the reasoning was as well, we will not stab our dealers in the back. When Stihl himself retires things may change but as long as he's behind the wheel things will remain as they are.

Vouche Spacemule

So says the Poulan owner.

Well i haven't used a brand new STHIL in a while but last I knew was air filters.... We bought STHIL for a long time and then bought a Husqvarna... The STHIL always needed to be blown out at the end of the day where we can now go 2 or 3 days before there is enough dust worth blowing off. Husqies still run at higher rpm's too I think but like I said we switched to Husqvarna from STHIL so I don't know how a new STHIL compares to a new Husqvarna. Specs and so on blah blah..

So air filters I guess

I LOVE the factory hot rod idea. I'm sure they could get around it by saying it's a "collectible replica" and sell it as a powerhead only with a solid "fuel line" and plastic "spark plug". Oh, it's crazy, step over here to the parts department (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) we have what you need...

Also the fact that Stihl is No.1 in sales means nothing other than they've duped a lot of customers over the years. It doesn't necessarily mean they have the best product.:)

Husky could very well be number one if they had 80 models on the market too ;) (only kidding, I KNOW they don't have 80 models).

One thing I've noticed with Stihl is they seem to have a lot of models with very similar performance, especially in their smaller saws.
One of the local Stihl dealers would have around a dozen different models on his shelf, and none bigger than 50cc.
Apart from the 200T they'd basically all do the same job and are all aimed at home owners.
I have attached the models below that are available in Australia - quite easy to see who they're targeting, successfully I might add. Quite a bit of performance overlap I reckon, and only really 5 Pro model saws...

MS 170 MiniBoss
MS 180 MiniBoss
MS 180 Easy2Start MiniBoss
MS 192 CE
MS 210 WoodBoss
MS 210 Easy2Start WoodBoss
MS 211 Easy2Start Mini Boss
MS 211 MiniBoss
MS 230 WoodBoss
MS 230 Easy2Start WoodBoss
MS 250 WoodBoss
MS 250 Easy2Start WoodBoss
MS 260
MS 260 C
MS 280 CI
MS 280 I
MS 290 FarmBoss
MS 310 FarmBoss
MS 361
MS 381
MS 390 FarmBoss
MS 441
MS 460 Magnum
MS 660 Magnum
MS 880 Magnum
MS 192 T
MS 200 T

Follow the leader.

Husky and Dolamar followed suit, and now Echo.. so... I guess they all want to shoot themslves so Tanaka and Solo can suceed.

Last edited:
Back