What should Stihl do

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest... I like things the way they are. You can't buy a used pro stihl or pro husky in good shape without paying for it. I picked up my Makita for around $300 used. I've ran pro stihl and pro huskies and the Makita is every bit as good for way less. Kudos to Makita/Dolmar for keeping the price reasonable.

I was just razzing with that post. I do beleive Dolmar could do much better if they charged more for their products. I think they are a good product, have two of them myself. I know too they have been trying to buy into the US market for several years now by selling comparable models for less than Husky or Stihl. Has it produced any fruit for them, no. I'm 51 years old and I've yet to ever see one single Dolmar commercail on TV, not one. I've yet to see a ad from them in any major newspaper. Thats the result of selling for less, lowballing the competition. Its never worked in the OPE industry and never will.

Last edited:
I'm not dogging Dolmar. I'd love to go out and try one out. A jonsered too for that matter. I just don't have anywhere reasonably close to go. The one Dolam dealer that's not too far away, told me last fall he carries no more inventory.

I have a few 7900's your more than welcome to run. The weather looks really nice this weekend.:clap:

I was just razzing with that post. I do beleive Dolmar could do much better if they charged more for their products. I think they are a good product, have two of them myself. I know too they have been trying to buy into the US market for several years now by selling comparable models for less than Husky or Stihl. Has it produced any fruit for them, no. I'm 51 years old and I've yet to ever see one single Dolmar commercail on TV, not one. I've yet to see a ad from them in any major newspaper. Thats the result of selling for less, lowballing the competition. Its never worked in the OPE industry and never will.

I agree because even in the auto industry in which I work, we see the same thing with most of our competition. Price=quality in most peoples mind.Just look at Cadillacs and Lincolns.
Sometimes I like to argue (keeps me sane).

They should come out with some factory hot rods. Sadly this will never happen do to the EPA and what have you.

Yaaa.. okay... Husky has factory hot rods! They are called Univent! And did spacemule forget to take his meds again???? Out trolling and nothing better todo? I guess its better he is here and not in the general public! :monkey:

I keep saying the same thing is silly threads like this. Each manufacture has it's place.

Pro users who need to have their unit take a beating, preform, and have professional service depts that are capable of getting them back up and running...Stihl fills that catagory very well.

The user who can afford to have their units down for a week or more while they wait for parts to ship out, units to be mailed to a tech repair center, hit or missing service depts...most any of the manufactures will do.

The home owner that's cutting firewood or some trees on their property...hell even Space's lineup will do.

Companies grow as large and successful as they desire. There are very few secrets when it comes to how; produce a product, market it, provide service and support, sell it for a profit. It's how well you do each of those items that sets you apart.

As for Husky, a number of years ago I interviewed for a TM position with them. They are not seeking to be number one. They view their competition to be John Deere. That's where they feel the monies are and where they are directing their Corporate efforts.

So Space, what do you think Stihl and Husky need to do to improve their units? How do you define "improve"? Cost less? Less weight? Larger market share? Improved performance? More durable?

Has it produced any fruit for them, no. I'm 51 years old and I've yet to ever see one single Dolmar commercail on TV, not one. I've yet to see a ad from them in any major newspaper. Thats the result of selling for less, lowballing the competition. Its never worked in the OPE industry and never will.

Some Dolmar dealers are doing very well over here, although they have a lot less money to spent on marketing as you suggested. I'd rather put my money in a well trained dealership network rather than TV commercials or newspaper ads. Stihl can afford it as they have the reputation already and advertise just to keep up the brand recognition.

As far as Stihl is concerned, they will have to develop their range of saws to stay ahead of the others. Timber Mc Pherson listed a few good ideas imo.

I for one would like to be able to order Stihl parts on-line, even with a high price ticket. For example, I order all my bearing and seals online with a german webstore, and it simply is a real handy and comfortable store. I would still order from them even if they increased their prices by 25 % :Eye:

Some Dolmar dealers are doing very well over here, although they have a lot less money to spent on marketing as you suggested. I'd rather put my money in a well trained dealership network rather than TV commercials or newspaper ads. Stihl can afford it as they have the reputation already and advertise just to keep up the brand recognition.

As far as Stihl is concerned, they will have to develop their range of saws to stay ahead of the others. Timber Mc Pherson listed a few good ideas imo.

I for one would like to be able to order Stihl parts on-line, even with a high price ticket. For example, I order all my bearing and seals online with a german webstore, and it simply is a real handy and comfortable store. I would still order from them even if they increased their prices by 25 % :Eye:

That day is coming. Online sales are too profitable and generate to much money. Some of the little issue, how does Stihl assign territory? Who gets credit for those parts sales? Personally, I have 4 other stihl dealers within 10 miles of me. Someone buys a part online, who gets the credit?

As a dealer if Stihl was to become my competition, and keep those monies for themselves, I'd have to seriously reconsider my position with them. Their in lies the rub...

That day is coming. Online sales are too profitable and generate to much money. Some of the little issue, how does Stihl assign territory? Who gets credit for those parts sales? Personally, I have 4 other stihl dealers within 10 miles of me. Someone buys a part online, who gets the credit?

As a dealer if Stihl was to become my competition, and keep those monies for themselves, I'd have to seriously reconsider my position with them. Their in lies the rub...

I doubt Stihl will open a web store as it directly competes with the dealer network parts and repair sales, as you suggested. I was hoping actually an independant hardware store or dealer would create a webstore themselves.

So Space, what do you think Stihl and Husky need to do to improve their units? How do you define "improve"? Cost less? Less weight? Larger market share? Improved performance? More durable?

I would like to see a different parts distribution set up. This is the 21st century, and no one should have to leave the comfort of their home or jobsite to go into town to get parts. I can understand wanting to protect dealers, and that's fine. Give the dealers a cut of the online sale grouped by zone or zip code. Everyone wins that way, and the number one person is taken care of more effectively, namely, the customer.

I would like to see a different parts distribution set up. This is the 21st century, and no one should have to leave the comfort of their home or jobsite to go into town to get parts. I can understand wanting to protect dealers, and that's fine. Give the dealers a cut of the online sale grouped by zone or zip code. Everyone wins that way, and the number one person is taken care of more effectively, namely, the customer.

amen brother!

I doubt Stihl will open a web store as it directly competes with the dealer network parts and repair sales, as you suggested. I was hoping actually an independant hardware store or dealer would create a webstore themselves.

That would be an interesting move...I still see alot of possibilities for abuse.

There was a dealer near me who made alot of monies personally, selling rolls of Stihl chain to himself at cost. Then selling those rolls on E-bay at a pretty decent discount. Took awhile but Stihl shut that down. So he sold those chains to his buddy, who then sold them on e-bay and kicked him back part of the profits.

I could see something similar happening with the parts sales. That or just dealerships in location where it's very cheap to operate/live willing to sell parts are a few points over cost...

Could get fugly quickly.

No one has to leave the comforts of their home. That's the beauty of our American way of life. You are free to buy any product you want. If a particular manufactures policies do not fit with your business style, buy from another who does.

Business is market driven. If the market says, sorry to expensive, the company either changes their pricing structure or eventually goes out of business. Same with parts policies. If others are doing it, well, and it's what the consumer wants...that manufacture will thrive and increase market share to the point others will either adapt to the market or shut down.

Based on sales numbers, market shares, profit margins, etc...I'd say currently the vast majority of consumers are rather pleased.

No one has to leave the comforts of their home. That's the beauty of our American way of life. You are free to buy any product you want. If a particular manufactures policies do not fit with your business style, buy from another who does.

Business is market driven. If the market says, sorry to expensive, the company either changes their pricing structure or eventually goes out of business. Same with parts policies. If others are doing it, well, and it's what the consumer wants...that manufacture will thrive and increase market share to the point others will either adapt to the market or shut down.

Based on sales numbers, market shares, profit margins, etc...I'd say currently the vast majority of consumers are rather pleased.
I'll guarantee you that adding more options for the customer will increase their satisfaction. I see Stihl dealers harping on taking care of the dealer, but they seem to skim over the fact that they're doing their customers a disservice and causing an inconvenience with their service setup.

You name anything you like, from pizza to deodorant to doctor's appointments to cars, and I can buy it in a few minutes online. Why are saw dealers lagging behind the times in this aspect?

People buy Stihls in spite of their parts policy, not because of it.

Latest posts

Back