What size dump trailer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcoz88

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Sold fire wood for the first time last year. Just 4 or 5 cords,it is pick up only right now.I would like to be able to deliver the wood but don't really have a good trailer for it.What would be a good dump bed trailer to start with thats not an arm and leg to buy? Any and all info would be appericated. Thank-you.

Pete:chainsawguy:

I've priced them and they are ALL arm and a leg if you want a new one. A used one is your best bet. I plan on selling a few cord this fall also, and just settled for putting some brakes on my little 5x8 trailer 3500lb trailer.

Ian

Hm, sort of depends on the capabilities of your truck and your ability with backing up. I know for a proven fact I am a retard at any trailer without a 14ft boat or more than 1ton, I can do many things but this is mot one of 'em *hangs head*, not enough practice tho.
A nice light trailer capable of 2-3000lbs with high sides and good tires/suspension would be a nice cheap start imo, save the dumper unit for when ya gets big! Hm, ya want ta dump it make sure you get one with most of the weight forward of the axel (2/3 max imho) then use a jack to tip it :D Or, use a short trailer and stack the main bulk of the wood on the back half ( making sure you're hooked up real well to the hitch lol), DOH!

:cheers: :chainsawguy:

Serge

I ran a homemade dump trailer for years made with an ez-dump truck insert. 7K gvw perfect for one cord. It was 4x8 at the bottom and flared out to 6x8. With side boards it fit a cord loose. I had a 7 x 14 to haul 2 cord at a time. Turned out to be too big for most deliveries. I now run a 6.5 x 12, works pretty well but nothing beats the smaller homemade one, it has a nice long tongue and backs up easy. My basic recommendation would be a 7k lbs rig with the dump body over the tires if firewood delivery is what you would use it for the most part.

I would suggest doing what I do. Whenever I need a dump trailer I borrow my buddies. We have an agreement where he bought the trailer and buys parts for it and I fix and install the parts. He gets free labor and I get to use the trailer. Evan

the guy who is helping me keep up with the tree trimmer has a 6x10 dump he bought used for 2500 handled a bit over a cord and a half in each of two loads the other day whereas my 6x12 landscaper was dog tracking with the same amount of weight in it so I would say a loose cord would fit in his and the two minute unload time was a huge plus when you have to beat the rain storm on the cleanup site.

don't know any body that owns one.:jawdrop: Thank for the info.

Pete:greenchainsaw:

I have a bri mar dump

7 feet wide 12 long 20'' deep 10.000 lbs that holds 163 cu.feet 6.700 new best money ever spent put 6'' sides on it you have180 cu.feet 1 thown in cord I Load mine20'' over the top back from the woods no prob dumping puLL it f-250 power stroke whold Like to get 18' or 20' some day life and back saver ms440 ms460 ms660 t200 tw.6 kioti dkse 35 4wheeL drive with loader: :blob2: :blob2:

I just bought a Dump Star 7x12 12k with the scissor lift, powder coat paint and on board charging for $5,300. My buddy sells firewood and he was in a jam as far a delivering 5 cords a good distance away from his house so he threw side boards on my dumper and we managed just about 3 cords on it.

I would say the dump trailer has been on of my best purchases ever. I haul just about everything on it. from 4 ton of coal to my tractor.... They are VERY handy for sure...

same as you

i just made the plunge this year for my firewood. Got a 6x10 7k gvw dump for 3,000. Put some wood sides on it and it takes a full cord per trip no issues. U dont make more money per cord because you deliver it....u just sell more. the extra you get for driving it about pays for plates insurance gas and the price of the dump. Good luck.

I just upgraded to a bigger trailer. I had a 12x6 with 48inch sides. Thrown in I could haul 4-4.5 ranks of wood. The new one will haul about 5.5 ranks thrown in. A dump trailer ios the best thing you can buy. It's very easy when making stops. Just dump the trailer up with the gates closed and the wood slides back to you. The bark mess stays in the trailer. They work great. Make sure you get one with at least 6k pound axles. You can over load one of these quick. Stacked full I can get almost 3 cords. that is a lot of weight.

Scott

16 long, 8 wide, scissor lift gooseneck.

3 or 4 cords loose, but she gets a little heavy, and i won't pack it very far with more then 2 cords in it.

Latest posts

Back