what size lathe for turning jugs and pistons?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That way you know you will at least be @ centerline...... :msp_wink:
exactly!!!!!!!!!!

Yes very true on using my grandfathers, hes a life long mechanic and was a engine builder for a well known race car driver back in the day. Needless to say its where my mechanical background started. So along with him teaching me, im sure I can go use it anytime. He only lives 20 min from me anyways. Only problem is my grandparents live in Florida for the winters. But when may rolls around I will be giving it a shot. I would like to have my own someday though. Its just nice when its yours and you have it right in front of you when in need. I've been porting for a few years now, but I see all this cutting squish bands and making pop ups and so on and I know I could be building better and more powerful saws than I am now. That's just CAD I guess!

Yep and modifying stuff that dont normally go together and figuring out how to make it work & more stuff!!!!! it is rather addicting:rock::givebeer:

Last edited:
Stihl 361 much like husky skirt.
IMAG0243_zps3dfccfd9.jpg
IMAG0246_zpsf302f511.jpg
IMAG0248_zps5d209fa4.jpg

Now that's what im talking about!!! That's a great looking jug buddy!! I just built a 361 for a friend and its definitely impressive. Although I just went gasket less and had to polish up the piston a few thou to get my squish right. Its a little tight at .018" but its a very strong saw and runs great. I can't wait to cut squish bands and jugs!!

Too bad your not closer to Michigan. So many tool and die shops have gone out of business, the machinery usually sells by the pound for scrap prices. Its a little depressing seeing nice machines that turned out such great work headed for the crusher, or to china in a shipping crate.

I thought about making a road trip and buying a few lathes from Michigan. I am sure that I could sell them on the east coast and make a little profit.

Later
Dan

I'd like to see how you setup to cut the base of a Husky cylinder that has a skirt extension on a mill. Dial it in on a rotary table? :msp_scared:

I could do it on my rotary table but set up time would be a long time just to cut the base. Heck I don't even like to lift my rotary table on my mill be myself.

Later
Dan

Now that's what im talking about!!! That's a great looking jug buddy!! I just built a 361 for a friend and its definitely impressive. Although I just went gasket less and had to polish up the piston a few thou to get my squish right. Its a little tight at .018" but its a very strong saw and runs great. I can't wait to cut squish bands and jugs!!

Curious. What is keeping the jug from spinning on the arbor? Did you dill and tap a hole in the arbor and put a SHCS through the intake or exhaust port to act as a stop?

I could do it on my rotary table but set up time would be a long time just to cut the base. Heck I don't even like to lift my rotary table on my mill be myself.

Later
Dan

Exactly!

Curious. What is keeping the jug from spinning on the arbor? Did you dill and tap a hole in the arbor and put a SHCS through the intake or exhaust port to act as a stop?

Friction from the pressure put against it with the live center. Most of my mandrels have a bolt in the center of the face to hold some sand paper.

Exactly!

Friction from the pressure put against it with the live center. Most of my mandrels have a bolt in the center of the face to hold some sand paper.

Ok. Guess it is aluminum and not taking too much off. I'll give it a whirl!

Latest posts

Back