What Skills Should You Have to Use a Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Necessary no. Point I was trying to make was if you have no skills whatsoever, especially outdoors, stay inside. Garden was just my way of ranting. Old Troy-bilt Horse-no safety equip. Old farm tractors-No ROPS, sickle bar mower and a belt PTO..ever run a buzz saw? Scary stuff! If you have never been exposed to any of that...don't run a chain saw! Yes, some of my t'maters are so big I need the saw!!!!! HA! Check mate!
I like Maters and Buzz Saws.... Oh and Mowin' machines with a belt drive.:rock:

There are some tasks that at first glance appear rather simple, but in reality are quite difficult. Some of the most challenging are where the only way to learn "the feel" is to fail repeatedly. Common sense doesn't help much. Case in point......tapping a small hole through steel......something down around 8-32 or smaller....without snapping off the tap.

It takes a quite a bit of practice and failure to pull it off every time.

Tony

There are some tasks that at first glance appear rather simple, but in reality are quite difficult. Some of the most challenging are where the only way to learn "the feel" is to fail repeatedly. Common sense doesn't help much. Case in point......tapping a small hole through steel......something down around 8-32 or smaller....without snapping off the tap.

Tony

I see your point, but some people just have natural mechanical abilities, and some could F up a steel ball repeatedly!

Tony
There are a lot of traditional tools, some for even mundane jobs, where the first time you try to use them you just end up thinking "this is nuts, it just doesn't work!". But if you keep at it you find that the tool works very well once you work out the technique - and sometimes how to set it up or sharpen it properly, etc. - and that of course it does becasue people had refined and perfected it over many many years. You can't just jump in and use it, you must do your time practicing first before you can be proficient and fast.

If you can't open me a bottled beer with any tool found In my saw case you have no business cutting with me

Common sense is number one. Without it, you will get hurt or killed.

You also need to be a good worker, and bee leveled headed to make it a good day. ( Even then its bad sometimes, but.. you know)

You need to learn to hold your tongue right. Best to learn with mouth closed

You let a 7 year old boy operate a chain saw?

OK, I'm probably going to be super-flamed or expelled for this, and in my defense, I grew up with saws, guns, axes and all sorts of other fun stuff. I was turned loose in the woods with a
.22 by the time I was 8 and was allowed to run whatever I could start myself. My only chainsaw scar is on my leg from one of the stupid side mufflers which burned me when I was a kid. My 9 year old is allowed to use the 445 cross cutting under extremely close supervision, but nothing more. My 11 year old gets more freedom, but always closely supervised. Why did I turn into such a namby pamby overprotective girlie man? Science. Kids aren't fully able to comprehend "permanence" until they are 11 or 12. Before that age they don't really get that death and serious injury are forever. You can teach them to act safely, but they do it out of fear of punishment and desire to please, not a true comprehension of the potential long-term consequences of their actions. I try to teach my kids all the limited skills I have, and the older ones run small saws, split wood, drive the truck but all under close supervision. I would urge everyone to not let a child under 11 or 12 out of your sight with anything that could easily kill them if they were careless. Oprah moment over

Safety or you are Shaking Hands with Danger.

[video=youtube_share;3_gEVILWVUM]http://youtu.be/3_gEVILWVUM[/video]

All good points

I will repeat what has been said because it is worth doing so:

Common sense and humility go a long way. I grew up going "up north" every Fall with my brothers to help my uncle split and stack firewood for the winter. I watched him use the chainsaw and got in minimal first hand experience due to his sister, my mom being neurotic about safety.

Some guys may think that is enough experience to get out there and start cutting on things. I didn't. I bought a house this fall and heated most of this winter with wood I cut and split in the past two years. I started on this forum before going to a dealership that I felt treated me right (and had pretty saws on the wall). I had used their shop mechanics for other small engine work and I felt like they could be trusted. I bought a saw, asked a million questions (many of them came from this forum, based on things I didn't understand) and the tech was great about answering even the "dumbest" ones.

Long story short, I didn't know a F-14 was a tractor and sometimes I pinch my thumb when I open a bottle with anything other than a bottle opener, but I am willing and eager to learn and coming to this forum, asking novice questions, and you all not being overly condescending has helped quite a bit.

Now, I have several neighbors I have to go ask if they are going to cut up those trees that fell down and then practice opening beer bottles with my scrench.

At least an IQ score of 4 and good arms but if you're planning on leaving the ground and going skyward you should have at least half a master's degree in Physics or just (damn common sense) but as you all know common sense isn't so common...

Think about it

In Europe, you cannot buy a chainsaw before you are Permitted. It is a school for 5 days, extra day if you are going up in a tree. It started in Germany after a 21 year old carved up his free hand in a tree. After this school, the accident rate dropped from 700 or so a year to zero. Soooo, they have their proof!

The justification? National health care. If you screw up, and maim yourself, they have to pay to fix you, so you better damn well demonstrate you know what you are doing! (Its coming, Its coming!)

Doctors in Amerika make money off of the 30,000 or so that try to carve their initials in their legs and arms. Besides folks, lets not be hypocrits here. If we all believe in Evilution, then aren't we obligated to give stupid people the means to eliminate themselves from the gene pool? At least keep them to the shallow end?

keeping on top of the details

You need a eye for detail and being alert and observant. I used to have a helper who would saw with me sometimes (with one of my cheaper saws). I always have to watch over him as he never notices that the saw is so dirty it's not oiling properly. I keep telling him to keep an eye out for this but I've come to realize he just is not detail oriented enough to keep up on it. He's burned up more bars and trashed my chains. Needless to say I found a new helper.

A rational brain and the ability to leave your ego at the door. Beyond that, a decent fitness level.

A sober professional attitude, combined with a willingness to learn. When you put on the PPE, drop the EGO & Pride.

We have a saying. “Rock climbing isn’t for everyone”. Same thing applies to chainsaw’s.

Back