What Skills Should You Have to Use a Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All you need to run a saw is common sense and the willingness to learn.

Don't over-think it.
In regards to the "willingness to learn," it made me think of this video ya'll may have seen:

[video=youtube;nAss7qyc0ls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAss7qyc0ls[/video]

The one fellow has the attitude of doesn't need to be shown how to because he knows how to. I work with and know some people like that.

The video's in in three parts.

It can be annoying to quote long posts like this, but I gotta say.................I've been on this site for 7 or 8 years now and this is one of the best posts I've ever seen. :clap:

I get to see quite the cross section of people come into the store. There are a lot of folks who are zeros when it comes to practical knowledge. People simply are not exposed to situations where they can pick up basic mechanical skills. Their entire household tool inventory consists of a hammer, screwdriver and pair of pliers in the kitchen drawer. They are so addicted to their electronic crap that they are living a virtual life. It will only get worse as these people have nothing to pass on.

So, take someone like this and hand them a chainsaw? God that can be scary. I often take time to explain as much as I can to these newbies and pray that nothing bad happens. Fortunately, they rarely hurt themselves. But the poor saws suffer dearly. The chains that people try to cut with would make you laugh. There are some rays of sunlight though. Plenty of people who stay with it and THINK along the way, do become safe and capable operators. Eventually they start to get into it and sometimes even become saw and firewood geeks like the rest of us. :msp_biggrin:
Oh man I never thought of that! It can be hard enough to read it sometimes, I can't imagine it from your end. But cool when someone gets into it I'm sure.

Willingness to learn and ask questions even when others will laugh at you. The humility to realize you don't know much even once you've learned a little bit.

RESPECT!

Your running a high RPM gas power set of left and right facing multiple razor blades designed to cut wood, the human body is just a tad softer.

Respect it always, period.

How about the physical ability folks. You need to be able to do more than 12 ounce curl, be it coffee or beer.
It might be fun and all but mix in some exercise, boiled down its still work, strong back, forearms and grip or your going to get your butt kicked.
As I take myself seriously for 2 seconds, work ethics trumps ported saws.

it's like anything else , it's something you learn " though the consequences are worse " . my almost 8yr old son can run a saw better than i've seen some adults. he was taught to respect the tool he is using. that said there are some individuals that should not be allowed to walk in public .

Couple of points:
What to you is "common sense" could well be gross stupidity to someone else. Helps to keep an open mind, and never stop learning. Communication is a big plus.
In some ways you cannot be "over-thinking" working with saws and trees. Like a good chess/checkers player you are more likely to have a good day if you think many moves ahead. Or, they will conspire to get you. Just don't get mired in newbie trivia- choose your fights judiciously.

it's like anything else , it's something you learn " though the consequences are worse " . my almost 8yr old son can run a saw better than i've seen some adults. he was taught to respect the tool he is using. that said there are some individuals that should not be allowed to walk in public .

You let a 7 year old boy operate a chain saw?

You let a 7 year old boy operate a chain saw?

NOT one that hasn't grown up around machinery. There are young kids that are on farms that can do/drive more than some adults. There are kids who are "street smart" and ones who are "machinery smart"!

When I was around 12-14 we were helping our pastor move. He went to move the truck, hit the key and it lurched forward. He noticed it was a manual transmission and was helpless. I didn't want to overstep my bounds, so I didn't offer to move the truck which I was very capable of doing. It was two things. I didn't know what other would say about me being under age moving the truck, and I didn't want to show him up. I've been driving from the age of 6.:msp_w00t:

Maybe a pro would cringe at your farmer's back cuts or whatever, but the job gets done OK.

That's one of my pet hates...

I am somewhat surprised they dont include a one dollar DVD with new saw purchases. Could be hours of good maintenance and proper cutting technique in there by chapters.

In some ways I agree but in other ways I don't. Watching and understanding the technique is completely different to actually performing the technique safely. I know everybody has to learn somewhere but I have seen plenty of people who know how to fell a tree safely in theory but haven't got a clue where the bar tip is when actually performing it so put it straight through the hinge :) I cringe when I see people get their mitts on a chainsaw and the first thing they try to do with their new saw is fell the biggest tree they can find when they don't even know how to cut a log properly.

There is nothing that somebody can't be taught or learn, it all depends upon the teacher and the student amd both of there willingness.

As an accredited workplace trainer there are certain people I've seen that I will quite happily pay extra tax towards their welfare cheque to keep them OUT of the workforce :D

This is a fine question. It's really quite hard to answer. Depends on what level you're at and your application. The 1/4 acre home owner with an electric saw doesn't have or need the same skill set as you boys out on the west coast felling RedWoods the size of parking ramps. It's hard to put in text. My father showed me how to limb and buck logs, I hope to show my son the same. First lessons should be maintenance of the tool. Then simple bucking(how to keep the the saw under control on small rounds and splits(6" and under)) and keeping track of your own limbs in relation to the bar and chain. Teaching respect for a tool that has zero tolerance for F&CK ups in any way. To always watch where to tip of your bar is. Then teaching in a wooded setting where certain limbs may be under stress. Teaching how to look at a downed tree and see where the pinch points are and how to relieve that pressure. To look up and watch for widow makers. How to light a smoke off your saw muffler. You know. There's lots:msp_tongue:

It can be annoying to quote long posts like this, but I gotta say.................I've been on this site for 7 or 8 years now and this is one of the best posts I've ever seen. :clap:

I get to see quite the cross section of people come into the store. There are a lot of folks who are zeros when it comes to practical knowledge. People simply are not exposed to situations where they can pick up basic mechanical skills. Their entire household tool inventory consists of a hammer, screwdriver and pair of pliers in the kitchen drawer. They are so addicted to their electronic crap that they are living a virtual life. It will only get worse as these people have nothing to pass on.

So, take someone like this and hand them a chainsaw? God that can be scary. I often take time to explain as much as I can to these newbies and pray that nothing bad happens. Fortunately, they rarely hurt themselves. But the poor saws suffer dearly. The chains that people try to cut with would make you laugh. There are some rays of sunlight though. Plenty of people who stay with it and THINK along the way, do become safe and capable operators. Eventually they start to get into it and sometimes even become saw and firewood geeks like the rest of us. :msp_biggrin:

I agree 100%. Sad we have become a nation, world for that matter, of people who cannot hammer a nail. We need to hire an expert to do everything for us. We cannot survive without electric or cash (credit cards!!!) We no longer know how to cook, sew, repair, or anything else that doesnt involve picking up the cell phone and "ordering it up". So sad. There is a whole generation of people who are dying off that did EVERYTHING for themselves and passed those skills on to the young ones. I was lucky enough to be one of them. The next generation has not faired as well, and it is only getting worse. Basic life skills are so valuable to have, and no amount of money can buy them, they must be learned! Use what you have, and teach it to others. Once they are forgotten they will never come back!

Oh yeah...If you can't open a pop top beer with anything besides an opener, I don't want to talk to you!:msp_flapper:

:givebeer:

one more thing!!!!

If your answer to the question: "Where does your food come from?" is "The grocery store!" You need to get a clue!

I raise my own chickens (egg & meat) and butcher myself. I grow much of my own food & can, freeze & cellar it over the winter. If you have never even had a garden...you have NO...I repeat NO business owning a chainsaw!

Not sure the connection there, but I know there is one...see previous post!

:angrysoapbox:

Latest posts

Back