what splitter to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poston5

Poston5

ArboristSite Operative
I have a splitter but its slow and old. It is my weakest link right now and I need to speed up the process. This new splitter will be fueling 2 outdoor wood boilers so assume we burn 20 cords per year. I don't want to spend a ton on one because a lot of our stuff doesn't need split since we are burning in owbs but I want one that is reliable and fast. Please give some recommendations, I am really looking at the husky 28 ton at tsc.

lindnova

lindnova

ArboristSite Operative
The Husky 28 ton is slower than the 22 or 35. I hear it has the same pump as the 22 with a bigger cylinder. I have the 22 ton and it works great for me. I split similar amount as you and it works fine for me. A 35 ton would have more oomph to get thru big stuff, but it is also a lot heavier to move around.

Streblerm

Streblerm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yep, the 22ton Huskee has a faster cycle time than the 28ton. I have used a 35ton Huskee and I own the 22 ton. I am extremely happy with the 22ton and if I had it to do over I still wouldn't spend the extra$$ on the 35.

WoodTick007

WoodTick007

Addicted to ArboristSite
There is really only one name when it comes to log splitters and that would be Didier. . . Cheap,durable, longlasting, and you can get parts anywhere. I will try to get some pictures of my Didier later today. . . Its a little rusty, and over the years have made a couple modifications. . . But the core still its still a 'Didier'. I think mine is an early 1970's model

Sawyer Rob

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Do you just want a faster splitter, OR do you want to buy the splitter that will last longer than you???

I also have an older splitter and I wasn't happy with it for two reasons, too slooow and that blasted foot on the end where the "wedge" SHOULD be!

I bought a Timberwolf, and it fixed both problems in spades!! NOW, I have a powerful splitter that pushes the splits through the wedge, onto a grate and then right off the end. Most rounds, I only have to put them on the splitter and let the ram push them through the 4 way, no more handling needed!

standard.jpg

Even the toughest stringy rounds, go right through the 4 way and right off the end! Waaaaaaay faster than having that da* "foot" in the way, and NO splits get stuck on the wedge, needing to be pulled/pounded or pried off the wedge! Like I said, everything falls off the end!

standard.jpg

My Timber Wolf splitter was worth the extra I paid to get such a well made well designed splitter!

SR

Poston5

Poston5

ArboristSite Operative
Found a 28 ton husky with a Honda on it at tsc for 1299. Took a rain check on the unit to hold the price since it is normally 1499. Now I just need to confirm that's what I want. Does husky just slap there name on a speeco splitter? The pump is a speeco pump and they look identical to the speeco units. Does anybody run the 4 way wedge on the husky, if so how does it work?

lon

ArboristSite Member
I second the Timberwolf. I had an Iron and Oak splitter before and it was a quality unit for the money. Lot more money for the Timberwolf but it is a great spitter. They also hold their value well. Only regret I have with the Timberwolf is that I did not buy it a long time ago.

Latest posts