What tachometer should I buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CUCV

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I believe my Stihl ETD 3 has tached its last saw. There is something wrong with the screen.
I am in the market for a new tach and was wondering what you guys might recommend. I see that Stihl offers three models. I have heard something about the ETD 6 not being able to read off of some of the newer or upcoming coils.

Any suggestions?

I have a tech tach 20k and like it alot .

(2) cs-3400
cs-3000
162se
mac 15

Last edited:
The new stihl tachs are EDT7 and 8. New 4 pole ignitions (coming) will require these to get and accurate reading. I believe the EDT5 is or has just been discontinued.

When I get home later tonite I can get you measurements, unless some one else has the measurements handy.I do know it will not be as small as alot of the other tachs. I have had it over a year an used it on chainsaws and other small engines and I like it. As someone else said that stihl has a newer ignition system coming so I dont know if it will work with that so that could be a concern in looking for a new tach.

(2) cs-3400
cs-3000
162se
mac 15

CUCV said:
I was able to take a look at an EDT 7 yesterday, It looked like the one from Bailey's but $10 more and a Stihl Lable.

It might be, but it may also be different inside to adapt to the new ignitions coming out early next year.

paulkx5 said:
I bought the PT15B2 for $22.65 + shipping and it works great. I bought mine from allied electronics. It is made by ENM,
http://enmco.thomasnet.com/item/enm...?&plpver=1001&origin=keyword&by=prod&filter=0
it reads to 24k.
Are you able to go back and see the highest rpm's reached after a run on a saw? or does it only read while running and does not save the highest reading? I would like to see the highest peak rpm reached during tuning is why i ask and might not be able to catch that while adjusting carb and looking at tach.

Lakeside53 said:
The new stihl tachs are EDT7 and 8. New 4 pole ignitions (coming) will require these to get and accurate reading. I believe the EDT5 is or has just been discontinued.

Aren't the EDT 5's warrentied for life? What will they do about replacement models?

(I thought I heard through the grapevine that they were)

I got the measurements for the tech tach 20k these are with it in its rubber protective case that comes with it 2 7/8 wide,4 5/8 long, and 1 1/8 inches thick. It has three firing patterns it measures, one spark every rev, one spark every two revs.,and two sparks per rev. hope this helps with your search.
It is also wireless if you want or it comes with spark plug wire clips.
It does remember the highest rpm.

(2) cs-3400
cs-3000
162se
mac 15

Last edited:
Cut4fun,

It does not remember the highest reading, but it does have a five foot lead which makes it relatively easy to set it where I can see the reading while tuning.

Latest posts

Back