What temprature do you stay home

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on sun and wind it is 15-25* F for me.

As for the gelled biodeisl, have it assayed, they are supposed to get the glycerin out of the veg oil. if they don't it gels and your SOL.

There was a bad batch 2 years ago from MN that had truckers all over stranded in the cold.

temp

juststumps the coldest we fought fire were -80 below with wind chill about 6 years ago.we never stop.the usual rule of thumb for us the coldest day of the year and hottest day of the year we will get a fire.thank you guys for all the input its nice to know you have a great bunch of guys to give there knowledge and experiences to help one another out. this is a great site to be apart of to learn and help others through there knowledge and working experiences. thanks tom

28 degrees and freezing rain today

I just pulled an 8 hour day where I had to pull over 3 times this morning to scrape the ice off the windshield in the bucket just to get to the job. Me, the trees, and the bucket all had a nice clear and shiny ice coat. We work everyday, rain or shine, freezing or cooking, Lightning and tornados shut the job down till they pass then its back to work.

Being that I am not very busy in the Winter, I usually don't have to worry about working when it's too cold. I would be hunting instead. :D

Not so this year. I am booked out 3 weeks with all the business from the ice storm. We worked Wed. and started when the temps were in the teens. We blew two hydraulic lines on our chipper and the hydraulic filter sprung a leak. We layed off yesterday and today. Yesterday the temp was 12 in the morning and we were in the teens today. I'm fighting a cold and figured it would be better to try to recoop from my cold and service the chipper so we can be set for this weekend and following week when the temps come back up. I'm not opposed to working in the cold but it's tough when your fighting a cold and equipment starts to fail. Besides, I'm one of those tropical white people... 110 degrees, no problem. Working in the teens and 20's sucks!

Just an added thought, when I was on my way to the job Wednesday I saw 2 dump trucks broke down on the road. I also blew the fuel pump out on my pickup last week when the temps dropped into the teens and my partner blew a power steering line in his truck. The cold weather is definitely wreaking havoc on our heavy equipment. The saws love the cold air though.

I agree with WOR. Mick I will say this My 360pro saw has a small deal in the air filter housing for using it in realy cold weather. Nice feature really, probably not as good as the ARTIC saw though. Heated handles. My splitter on the other hand, I do two things. I go out 45min before I leave put an oil dipstick heater in the res. tank and A 500 watt halogen bulb inside the cover to take the chill off of the motor. It's 16hp eletric start briggs and it doesn't like the cold. I have gone out when the carb was freezing up under the cover. About the Freezing ground. About 3-4 years ago it didn't get cold enough to freeze but maybe half dozen times. Sleet, rain and light snow was it. the roads were so bad here it took 4wheel drive to leave the driveway. The ground got super soft even on gravel. roads were sponges. I got stuck multiple times that year. I went and made a fourwheeler trailer logging device just so I could get the wood to higher ground for processing. It sucked on an epic scale. 20-30 degrees is my prime temp. 50 and higher is too hot for heavy work.:popcorn:

52 and partly cloudy (and dry) is what I consider perfect Tree working weather. Thirties are always OK, unless it is wet out. 20s are ALWAYS welcome, the swifter you work and the more you keep moving=the more you stay warm=the more money you make. Wooo Hoooo!

10-20 degree range, I just want to be doing a large crown reduction or deadwooding a giant oak or something, big, aggressive climbing weather. When there's nobody's out walking, you can wear your ear-protective radio muff helmet headset and sing at the top of your voice. You are out workin, out makin money, and havin a great time,
GIMME SOME FLURRIES!!!

HAH, no temps keep us at home, but it is the nature of our work. Highest temps were 104 and the coldest has been in the -30's up on lake erie/michigan.

Diesel engines do not like sub zero climates. I don't mind the cold, but the snow and ice make getting around a pain, both on feet and wheels.

I was wondering at what temperature do you stay home...Just wondering what temps do you call it quits.

Humidity really sucks for me, but a dry temperature, I'll call it quits around 88 to 93 degrees. Depends if I'm bustin' butt or grinding stumps.
icon10.gif

For cold, about 5 degrees and lower depending on wind speed and the work involved... like tree removal grunt work or in the tree trimming dead wood.

Back in the day around the Twin Cities, MN, I was under dressed and happened run a Bobcat most of that day. It was -20 degrees... minus 20.... 20 below! Talk about pain. I manned up though. Yikes!

StihlRockin'

americans

20 to 85 (unless easy cash)
50 and grey to 30 and still, exelent!
less than 20 go shoot some bunnies,and break out the x-country skis
over 85 get out on the water,lifes to short,and im to slow.

If it's below -10 wind chill or above 110 heat index we don't work.

I'm not out to prove how tough I am or what I can endure . . . extremes in temps affect the mind and then there's a safety concern when it's becomes too cold or hot.

We usually don't work in rain either, unless it's at the end of a job or an emergency call.

I don't like climbing in the cold mostly because my hands get too cold. What gloves are you guys wearing for cold climbing? I'm a glove guy but don't like climbing with them. Makes winter suck.

Cold

I will work in any weather. If I had it my way I would quit any time it was over 80 degrees, but I dont. I get useless when its really hot climbing. Cold is another story, I live for it. Nothing bothers me when it comes to cold. I'd say the coldest I have worked in was like -1, with a -16 windchill. It wasnt that great, but I would take it anytime over a day thats hot. Rain sucks, escpecially if your pruning, such a ##### to limbwalk. I dont even try unless its a conifer or a tightly branches species (sugar maple, or red maple)

Last edited:
It's all about the equipment for me. It's cheaper to take a day off than risk a spendy repair. Besides my diesel trucks just suck the gas in cold weather and at $3.50 a gallon. We've worked when it's well below zero but if the warm part of the day isn't above zero we usually find something else to do.

Being that I am not very busy in the Winter, I usually don't have to worry about working when it's too cold. I would be hunting instead. :D

Not so this year. I am booked out 3 weeks with all the business from the ice storm. We worked Wed. and started when the temps were in the teens. We blew two hydraulic lines on our chipper and the hydraulic filter sprung a leak. We layed off yesterday and today. Yesterday the temp was 12 in the morning and we were in the teens today. I'm fighting a cold and figured it would be better to try to recoop from my cold and service the chipper so we can be set for this weekend and following week when the temps come back up. I'm not opposed to working in the cold but it's tough when your fighting a cold and equipment starts to fail. Besides, I'm one of those tropical white people... 110 degrees, no problem. Working in the teens and 20's sucks!

Just an added thought, when I was on my way to the job Wednesday I saw 2 dump trucks broke down on the road. I also blew the fuel pump out on my pickup last week when the temps dropped into the teens and my partner blew a power steering line in his truck. The cold weather is definitely wreaking havoc on our heavy equipment. The saws love the cold air though.

Ok, this seems odd to me. I've spent most of my life in wny where the winters get cold. Grew up on a farm and logging outfit. Been around heavy equipment all my life. Have spent 12+ years in the tree industry working every winter. And yet i've probably seen less than 10 instances of hydraulic lines blowing due to the cold. I have a buddy who's a mechanic at a big gravel pit-they will run a hundred dump trucks every day in sub zero temps with no big problems. Our shop runs better than a dozen trucks and several big chippers and we don't have the problems in a cold month you seemed to have in one week. I guess the question is, if oklahoma has that much heavy equipment down in a week of cold temps, why aren't our roads littered with broken equipment by february? Do we get different equipment? Better maintenance? Any ideas?

Heck, i can't even remember the last time i've seen a snowplow down.

-43C still air temp when I got up and drove to work this morning, which was an adventure given the ice fog that has settled into this place. Dodge turned over a little slowly but I did have it plugged in all night. Can't say our Fords wanted to start yesterday as did both my Bobcat and 4x4 forklift. However I have pulled my guys out of the field compound and they are working in the main warehouse inside for a couple of days until this cold snap passes. It has warmed up to -42C at 0800 MST.

Last edited:
I'm staying home today because of the wind, gusts of up to 100km. wind chill is -18c. I'll wait for some storm damage before I will venture out in this...

Better maintenance? Any ideas?

Heck, i can't even remember the last time i've seen a snowplow down.

Different oil?? I do know things that are hydraulic here are not working too well right now the far side of -40F/-40C. Diesels run just fine in the cold so long as you are using winter fuel, our CAT 797Bs run 24/7. Just don't shut them off outside.

I do know Air Canada has not been able to fly into here since Monday because it is too cold. One of our team members en route back from Orlando is stuck in Edmonton. I flew in Sunday night in the nick of time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back