What the @%&# can i paint my bars with that will stick!?!? Help!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are rough...i did say "worn out" but not junk and unusable. Also, my boss will buy a new bar way before he needs to. We have stacks of new bars and if one starts looking a little shabby due to use, he puts it in the shed and puts on a new one. I take them home, dress them, make sure they are good to use, and attempt to make them look good. Obviously every bar comes painted for a reason right? METAL RUSTS. I repair/restore broken saws nee and old and sell them. If the powerhead looks and works mint, dont you think a rusty ugly bar kind of kills it. Im not a moron, or a rookie with saws. I run them and maintain them 30+ hours a week professionally and have a small shop on the side. I wasnt looking for insults or those of you that question why i want to paint a used bar. I was looking for adviice.

Thank you to those who simply answered my question...very helpful. I will try and see what happens.

i am sorry if you feel that my post came across to you as insulting.I don`t know you or what your skill/knowledge level is in regard to chainsaw work/repair I did & do not ever consider any one a moron & applaud the fact you asked for advice. I was pointing out one way to tidy up a tired looking guide bar other than resorting to painting it [after all that was the problem in the first place no paint or very tatty] If you wire wheel /polish a bar & wipe if now & again with an oily rag [which is what I do, I have no problem with rusting] I also note that you are dealing with saws professionally. I didn`t feel the need to inform you that I have been working with/ repairing saws since 1957 so a good few trees plus a good few saws have been dealt with in that time. I was trying to be helpful but it appears to have fallen on stony ground. I trust you will find an answer that suits you, to your query

Man, why ride the guy? If he wants to paint his bars, who cares?

I'll second the gun coatings like Duracoat should be more than tough enough to survive on a bar.

Personally I like the bare metal look. If you can get a good polished finish on the bare metal, I would leave it that way. Old school......

JP, I agree. I am going in this direction with some of my older bars. I had a bar reworked by a company in the PNW and it came back with nice swirls in the metal from the sanding. Looks very cool!

I wasnt even referring to you al...nor was i insulted at all by your reply. Also, much respect to your many years in the business. It speaks a lot of your abilities to be still at it after that long.

I will do some experimenting with all your ideas...thanks everyone. I have to get off my "high horse" now and go put a coil in one of my bosses saws. Ill update as i try your ideas. Never would have thought of the gun paint...great idea.

John

Get them Bars Powder coated 10-12 mills of powder and a clear coat should last a long time

make sure they bake the bars to get the oil of of the tip of bar

before powder !

Get them Bars Powder coated 10-12 mills of powder and a clear coat should last a long time

make sure they bake the bars to get the oil of of the tip of bar

before powder !

I agree with this. Power coating is going to be the best long term solution if you want it painted.

I wonder if you could take a stripped bar, coat it in oil and "season" it sort of like cast iron. If it half way worked then all the bar oil would just keep it reasonably rust free assuming you kept it out of the dirt and water.

Rattle paint isn't all that great. Found that out-painted parts on my 1948 8N tractor, looked AMAZING for 6 mos, then gradually faded and went flat. Turns out rattle cans don't have the solids that real paint has. Now, I brush on, carefully, liquid Valspar Ford vermillion red. Thick, strong, and, shiny. You MIGHT try a paint like that, clean the bar like crazy, dry, etc, then just brush it on smooth, not too thick, and see. I bet it holds up pretty good...

I've found the epoxy appliance paint (in a can) holds up well, but you have to have the surface clean. They have a stainless steel version that looks good. I generally only paint for a resto / display but I did paint the bars on my SP125s and they have held up well.

I've used this paint mentioned above in multiple coats. I scotch brite it after the first coat dries, and apply the second coat. These are for resto's and resale value. I have one here in the shop that I use to test certain types of saws. It has held up for a good while. The bar oil gets to it after while, but it holds up longer than any high heat or anything else I've tried.

Hi temp engine paint should work with the heat and bar oil, i'v been thinking about painting a few of my older bars, I might give it a try too.

You guys are rough...i did say "worn out" but not junk and unusable. Also, my boss will buy a new bar way before he needs to. We have stacks of new bars and if one starts looking a little shabby due to use, he puts it in the shed and puts on a new one. I take them home, dress them, make sure they are good to use, and attempt to make them look good. Obviously every bar comes painted for a reason right? METAL RUSTS. I repair/restore broken saws nee and old and sell them. If the powerhead looks and works mint, dont you think a rusty ugly bar kind of kills it. Im not a moron, or a rookie with saws. I run them and maintain them 30+ hours a week professionally and have a small shop on the side. I wasnt looking for insults or those of you that question why i want to paint a used bar. I was looking for adviice.

Thank you to those who simply answered my question...very helpful. I will try and see what happens.

Now you have learned a good lesson - Before you post, phrase your question within a context that others can relate to specifically. Simply asking about painting bars is going to bring a lot of folks out, like me, who think it is a waste of time unless you are selling it - which is very good advice. Rust is a non issue unless you do not use the bars. Using the bar will coat it in oil. The only rational reason to paint a bar is to sell it. Otherwise, it is truly a waste of time. But, some folks like to practice vanity more than others... shrug

A good way to run off a guy that might have some good info in the future, He didnt ask an opinion he ask about what paint to use, nothing more.

I would go with the powder coat baked on.The last one I did I used some cheap enamel I had left over from a vintage sled and baked it on the wood stove.I think I ran 2 or 3 tanks through it before pic.The writing on it is just a black marker.

attachment.php

A good way to run off a guy that might have some good info in the future, He didnt ask an opinion he ask about what paint to use, nothing more.

this is a big site, its like tossing a goldfish into a shark tank. got to learn somehow right?

Back