what the heck makes this saw so valuable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The big Homelites like the 750 and 2100 are high-dollar saws. A mix between size, collectiblity, and some kind of coolness makes it happen. Stihl 090s and 076s go for big bucks, and my 111S probably would, too, judging from what other old Jonseys (Model 70E, 80) go for.

Tim,I e-mailed this guy about that saw.He is listing it as a 123cc saw.It is a 112cc or 6.8 ci infact.I been watching that thing sense it was put up.I'll bet it goes for $600 before it is over;) What some people will pay.......................including myself:p

Dang ! I should quit my job & learn e-bay. I have so many blue , yellow Red & orange old saws in the garage & shed I could retire. I just wonder what an ole 041 gear, brand new in the original box from Germany would go for ?

yea, i been watching it too. but there ain't no way i'd pay that kinda dough for it. seems like i've seen a couple other 750's come up but i don't recall 'em fetching 500+ bucks. fact i don't recall ever seeing 42 bidders on any saw, and i watch it closely, everyday. sure'd like to have one, but i bet one of my 80 dollar 125 macs will eat it up. maybe i'll call up the winner and challenge
him to a duel.

I know of three 750's that people run as hot saws or I should say they started as 750's. They have a preaty solid desigh and no EPA stuff to slow them down. I still think that they would be heavery than the 3120 or 088 hotsaws.

Later,
Chris

If you look at the bidding history,its pretty much 3 guys fighting over this thing with a few early bidders in there.
When I see something like that going on even if I want the item,I pass on it.The price gets artificially inflated and the winning bidder usually flakes out when it comes time to open up the wallet.
E-mail the seller after the auction.......I bet it doesnt go anywhere.
But you never know.
Mike

boy, as a seller, i'd be mighty upset if a couple bidders went through all that and then the winner scammed out. i would be alooking to give someone a homey 750 enema

I have watched the 750 also. I really want one and if I was not long on saws and short on cash I would make her bring more. When you compare it to an 090 you must think about the number of 90's compared to 750's. It is simply a supply issue. Obviously the demand for a 90 may be higher but also is the supply. The past 750's have not sold as high but this is one of the best condition ones sold.

Sonny,

If you have a new 41 gear I would be interested in it.

Bill

I know I saw a 750 go for $540 or thereabouts a couple years ago. I believe our own Homedelightman may have been the high bidder.

Sure are nice saws, but I've never paid more than $75 for a saw and I'm not about to start. :)

Some saws are crazy, and some bidders are, too. I guess if you want somethinmg bad enough....

I think there are several classes of merchandise that seem to be able to command respect on ebay, far in excess of their normal value. Chain saws are one...look closely and you'll see a lot of sellers that know absolutely nothing about them, except that "this worn-out stihl should bring a big price" They have just been able to recognize what brings in big profits.

I'd do it too...If i could part with any of my saws, and if I could find any reasonable deals. saw a tired-looking white-topped husky 61 at a farm auction sale this summer...auctioneer wasn't shy about letting the crowd know that these go for "two or three hundred on ebay"

Danged if he didn't get over $200 for it. I was prepared to go as high a $30.:(

eyewolf,

I guess I am crazy then because I would probably run the 750 to $600. I have have been lucky enough to find a large number of great deals on saws. I have never paid anywhere near $600 for a used saw but the day will probably come. There is no doubt that ebay has had a huge effect on prices. Most of our farm equipment has come from farm auctions. Over the years I have stayed away from the hayrack items but lately I have noticed many people gaining a huge interest in them. Last fall I saw a 031 bring well over $100, sure it was in great condition but that was way above it's value. As for $30 for a 61 it would not happen around hear although I saw a Husky hydraulic pruner bring nothing. As for the saws on ebay it is amazing what some things sell for. It is funny to see the sellers that have a cheap Stihl that is worth $50 but because it is a Stihl they have a reserve of $200 on it. The next guy has a great saw that he thinks is worth $50 and ends up at $200. To me it is great entertainment. I have sold off some of my excess saws and have done fairly well but I only expect a modest bid. I sold a Homelite 410 late summer for right at $260. I believe my reserve was about $150.

Bill

Those 3 guys are just beating themselves to death on that saw.
Unbelievable......................................

Latest posts

Back