What The Heck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never once have I seen normal folk receive a grant it go's to foreigners with dots on their forehead or some other minority. I looked into disadvantaged business grants if I had boobs or was a forign person maybe.
Define "normal folk" please.

That's total BS and nothing but a blame game. Did you actually apply? Were you able to explain your grant in writing so your needs/project could be easily interpreted? It's much easier to not try and blame women and them furriners, isn't it?:msp_mad:

In a similar type program, it was found that there was a need to show prospective folks (local loggers) HOW to write their proposals.

One guy, prior to the class, basically wrote a sentence that said, "We're gonna cut the trees and skid them out." He might have understood that, but the committee awarding projects thought it needed a little more elaboration, like what equipment was he going to use, etc. He ended up getting some projects after redoing his proposals.

The only folks with "boobs" who were applying were fat men, and I can't think of any "foreigners" who did.

Define "normal folk" please.

That's total BS and nothing but a blame game. Did you actually apply? Were you able to explain your grant in writing so your needs/project could be easily interpreted? It's much easier to not try and blame women and them furriners, isn't it?:msp_mad:

In a similar type program, it was found that there was a need to show prospective folks (local loggers) HOW to write their proposals.

One guy, prior to the class, basically wrote a sentence that said, "We're gonna cut the trees and skid them out." He might have understood that, but the committee awarding projects thought it needed a little more elaboration, like what equipment was he going to use, etc. He ended up getting some projects after redoing his proposals.

The only folks with "boobs" who were applying were fat men, and I can't think of any "foreigners" who did.

Well fortunately my wife put me on a diet or I might have them. Really what I seen is only non profits or minority owned grants on the website so that discludes me. Here every motel is owned by foreigners it seems. Anyway obtaining a grant to me seemed like a lot of red tape bullspit just to get turned down so no I did not apply. However I have thought of having the wife apply which might work :)

PS: normal meaning not already rich,or a minority, ie banker bailouts etc there ain't much help for a red neck country boy.

Last edited:
The vast majority of welfare recipients, that I know or have met arewhite most of the "immigrants" I've met that own hotels, gas stations, mini marts, whatever... are very hard working folk, many of them own and operate multiple locations... meanwhile the rest of america sits around complaining how there isn't any jobs while lying to unenjoyment for 2+ years so they don't actually have to go out and get a job. So why don't you get of yer high horse. Besides this thread started out as a deal about Prison labornot immigrant labor

The vast majority of welfare recipients, that I know or have met arewhite most of the "immigrants" I've met that own hotels, gas stations, mini marts, whatever... are very hard working folk, many of them own and operate multiple locations... meanwhile the rest of america sits around complaining how there isn't any jobs while lying to unenjoyment for 2+ years so they don't actually have to go out and get a job. So why don't you get of yer high horse. Besides this thread started out as a deal about Prison labornot immigrant labor

I ain't on no high horse just seen the grant thing and spoke my opinion from what I have seen on the website. I started my business with my own money and have seen illegals in the national forest doing something my company could do, granted not cheaper but at least my dollars would remain in the USA. I feel for red hope it works out for him.

BTW yes they do work hard in the motel and mini mart business but just wonder if the ones your calling unemployed were given grant funds like they got if maybe they too would have made a hard go of it!

Last edited:
Keeping it on topic...

This thread is close to turning political. Please don't let that happen.

This thread is about Redprospector and the problems he's dealing with. I'm sure the majority of us want to see a productive resolution to his situation.

If you have any workable suggestions for the OP let's hear them.

If you can't be of any direct help kindly butt out and take your bickering elsewhere.

If you can't be of any direct help kindly butt out and take your bickering elsewhere.

What if our butts are so big, we can't get them out of the way?

I doubt Andy needs my help, but I have a lot of experience writing grants, being a government slob and all. I've procured funds for a non-profit doing wetland restoration (while I was a log cutter at the time) and I've procured fire preparedness grants for rural property owners to get assistance with fuels reduction work. I'd be happy to pitch in.

What if our butts are so big, we can't get them out of the way?

I doubt Andy needs my help, but I have a lot of experience writing grants, being a government slob and all. I've procured funds for a non-profit doing wetland restoration (while I was a log cutter at the time) and I've procured fire preparedness grants for rural property owners to get assistance with fuels reduction work. I'd be happy to pitch in.

Good on ya. That's the kind of help he needs.

And on that "big butt" thing...try getting out of the office more.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm just trying to figure out what to do with the property, pole peeler, 150 kw generator, and all the other stuff I've invested in. :msp_rolleyes:
Actually I think you're full of crap. I think that you have this opinion because you either have no experience, or haven't put any kind of pencil to it, but probably because you work for someone else and have accepted your lot in life. I should not have to compete against the government in "free enterprise". Period.
If I wanted to get a check from the government for doing nothing, I'd already be on welfare (oh crap, it's income support now) and food stamps. :msp_angry:

Andy

The consultant thing would be a whole lot easier and most likely a lot more profitable. Remember you are the resident expert. First, go see how that sells the politicians.

There is alot of work done around here by prison labor in nevada. the work crews are run by nevada division of forestry and are a 12 man crew with a ndf crew boss no guards with them. the only time they have a guard with them is when there is multiple crews on a fire. They do alot of the state contract work for thinning around here. people can hire them out last i looked it was around $700 for a 8 hour day but the time starts when they leave the prison and ends when they get back to the prison so you may only get 4 hours of work or less for that price. I know some people that use them because you dont have to pay workers comp and taxes on them and it can be real difficult anymore to find anyone to do manual labor anymore. I stick only to the federal contracts cause the state ones arent consistent they go out to id every couple of years and once you get it they call and say we have this much money go here and do this work as soon as the money runs out your out work until more money becomes available. They have done a few projects here that really hurt me and others they were great projects if they would of went the way they were supposed to but they didnt. The wood from the thinning was supposed to go to the seniors who couldnt afford it to heat their homes unfortunately some worthless theives would go up every night and take all the wood cut that day then sold it in the winter for a low price. I doubt this project will really be much competition for you because it probably wont last to long before going bankrupt they tried to do it here with biomass boilers heating prisons and some schools with chips. They stopped doing prison labor because it cost them to much and couldnt supply the amount of material need to operate the boilers in their short work days and the ones that are still using the boilers buy the chips from private companies at a lower cost to them and a reliable supply. I would keep going getting your operation set up and not worry that much about the prison plant it wont be around long or much competition. look into a federal stewardship contract with blm or usfs so you have a reliable supply of wood to cut and process like i am doing. If you havent already researched it look into exporting pellets to europe the market is huge and the demand is massive and if set up right very lucrative just make your pellets bag them and load them in containers and either truck them to a port or load on a train and ship to a port to send over seas. There is alot of information and programs out there for exporting pellets if you look into it might be a good option for you.

That's a good consulting job. Creating your own market as American pellet exports, good name, and consulting to other like businesses. Plus you'll still get to run your own piece of the pie :) I said pie...

Sorry for the derail, but....butt....

Just curious, are there still pellets made at Precision Pine in AZ? That outfit is famous for a big lawsuit against the Forest Service about the shutdown caused by the Mexican Spotted Owl.

Uh... sorry boss, forgot my manners...

No problem, you're okay. I just wanted to nip that politics crap in the bud before it turned into another typical shouting match. Shouting gives me a headache.

I like JJ's idea about grants and such. Maybe he and Andy could put their heads together and come up with something good.

yeah but they gotta beat the gub-a-mint to the draw though, or beat them in court. With enough determination and the public on their side who knows... Getting a grant on the project would put the prospector on his claim much faster though. Allow him to buy the property and start putting in a solid foundation, before the county has a chance to organize, and come up with anything resembling a plan. Hopefully the county is still in the planning stage and he can catch them with their shorts down.

If the property you had planned to utilize was the VERY SAME Pellet Plant the County is after, then please disregard the paragraph above. I had imagined you had, or had in mind, another, unrelated property... Perhaps mistakenly.

I had a question about that in mind... This "County buying Pellet Mill" idea came from somewhere.... I wondered if somebody in the know about your direction may have let the concept slip out... It's a small world.

It would be interesting to learn just when the County signed the contract to thin? I looked for that when examining the meeting agendas and didn't find the answer. Perhaps an oversight on my part? Or was that also kept hush? The County "Plan" had to have been in the works before that time....

Andy, I'm working in my shop at home for a spell and so have ready online access and periods during day and night which I can spend as I see fit. Should you think of any more investigative grunt work I might be able to do from here, PM with an assignment which will self-destruct in 30 seconds should I be unable to perform the duty at that time...

Best wishes in the struggle,

Lance

Your imagination is working just fine. I have no intention of trying to purchase the "defunked" plant. The property I am in negotiations for (and have a nice chunk of earnest money on the table) is about 5 or 6 miles from that plant.
I will go to the FS to see if I can find out about their contract, but I've got other fish to fry first.

Andy

This thread is close to turning political. Please don't let that happen.

This thread is about Redprospector and the problems he's dealing with. I'm sure the majority of us want to see a productive resolution to his situation.

If you have any workable suggestions for the OP let's hear them.

I sure hope this doesn't have to got to the political forum, I can't afford to go there anymore. The last time I spent much time there I got so screwed up that I had to spend a week in Oahu to recover. Of corse it wasn't all fun & games durring my recovery. :msp_rolleyes:

Hawaii2008Dancers6.jpg

Andy

I sure hope this doesn't have to got to the political forum, I can't afford to go there anymore. The last time I spent much time there I got so screwed up that I had to spend a week in Oahu to recover. Of corse it wasn't all fun & games durring my recovery. :msp_rolleyes:

Hawaii2008Dancers6.jpg

Andy

I know what you mean. We'll keep it here if at all possible. We may not be a lot of help but at least we're all on the same side.

The consultant thing would be a whole lot easier and most likely a lot more profitable. Remember you are the resident expert. First, go see how that sells the politicians.

Well, I've never been one to take the easy route, or for that matter the more profitable one either.
This is personal now. I may be the "resident expert", but that just means that I'll be the one writing to the papers making these people look like the asses they are when they screw up...and they will screw up if I can't stop them.
I'm just not going to surrender, and go to work for them. I'd rather find something else to do.
But thanks for the advice anyway.

Andy

Sorry for the derail, but....butt....

Just curious, are there still pellets made at Precision Pine in AZ? That outfit is famous for a big lawsuit against the Forest Service about the shutdown caused by the Mexican Spotted Owl.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're still in business.

Andy

Back