What to do in the rain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jrcat

I know that you PNW guys keep working for the most part in the rain. But us east coasters have a hard time of it. Different ground condidtions and different type of logging I suppose. Most of the LO's I work with wont let you on in the rain.

So what do you guys do to stay busy when you cant be in the woods? Personally Im going nuts and a bit stir crazy. I don't want to turns this into a whining session, just askin what you guys do to stay busy and maybe even make some $ at it.

I know that you PNW guys keep working for the most part in the rain. But us east coasters have a hard time of it. Different ground condidtions and different type of logging I suppose. Most of the LO's I work with wont let you on in the rain.

So what do you guys do to stay busy when you cant be in the woods? Personally Im going nuts and a bit stir crazy. I don't want to turns this into a whining session, just askin what you guys do to stay busy and maybe even make some $ at it.

i don't know about if you can't be in the woods. I do know that I sacraficed my eyebrows to the lunch fire more than once when it was raining and I was a bit ambitous with the mix.

Rock the roads and landings and make it so the roads run the water off--ditches and pipes, outsloping or drain dips. I almost created a new term--outloping. Hmmm, I outloped the rain today.:laugh:

Use a yarder instead of a skidder. There are probably a few for sale out here.

Rock the roads and landings and make it so the roads run the water off--ditches and pipes, outsloping or drain dips. I almost created a new term--outloping. Hmmm, I outloped the rain today.:laugh:

Use a yarder instead of a skidder. There are probably a few for sale out here.

The piece I am working at right now is 300 acres and the guy that owns it is a de-facto forester. He likes his roads just the way they are. :( So I have to wait for his go ahead. Not terribly exciting as it is mostly low grade ...more or less TSI work which is ok. He says I can take out a load or 2 of high grade if I do what he wants with the TSI.

Chain saw maintainence. Fix broken saws. Look at equipment.

If its to wet skid I usually keep knocking down trees, always liked cutting in the rain for some reason. Then once it dries you'll be ready to fill the landing.
A lot depends on the type of timber, grade of timber, and temp. I wouldn't want to cut down $10000 dollars worth of hard maple and let it sit very long in the summer incase it blued.

If its to wet skid I usually keep knocking down trees, always liked cutting in the rain for some reason. Then once it dries you'll be ready to fill the landing.
A lot depends on the type of timber, grade of timber, and temp. I wouldn't want to cut down $10000 dollars worth of hard maple and let it sit very long in the summer incase it blued.

Im stuck with that too on a 40 acre piece thats all marked out and I can move to it tomorrow but its mostly hard and soft maple.. Not going to cut it then not get to it for 2 or 3 weeks..no good

worry and fret. then get up and go do maintenance. try ta buy timber. talk to a old logger and realize things ain't so bad. it will dry up......eventually

We work in the rain, we do not always skid in the rain, when it is so wet that I can not skid and things are backed up in the woods we also do locust posts back here at the shop

fix stuff... anything and everything, if there's nothing to fix build something, if there's nothing to build or fix break something and make "improvements" if that don't help read a book, personally I kinda like logging in the rain, I like how the rain sounds on my tin hat... hail is even better, plus I sweat like a cold can of beer on a muggy day, so the rain helps with that...

ya get wet .....fall down a hill and rip yer pants.........all while wife watching thru binos lol

I'm so cool, look at me, ah the wifey is lookin... crash boom bang, son of #####:mad2:

yup that happens to me too ........I really think she ma jonah when I'm working .......oh that together with the advice on how to cut etc lol.......love her really tho

yup that happens to me too ........I really think she ma jonah when I'm working .......oh that together with the advice on how to cut etc lol.......love her really tho

That there is part of the reason I will probably never post a video of me cutting, the wifey would be holding the camera and I just know I'll screw it up some how.:cheers:

That there is part of the reason I will probably never post a video of me cutting, the wifey would be holding the camera and I just know I'll screw it up some how.:cheers:

oh all you'd here if I did a vid was her ladyship telling me what I was doing wrong lol

The war dept would come out with me but she wants a pink saw, and not sprayed pink , factory color.
So I guess I will go out by myself. Then I don't have to hear about the bathroom is where?

Cat , you must have a saw to fix or a skidder to muck out. Do I gotta send you a newspaper with some .404

Latest posts

Back