What to do with old mixed gas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWME

ArboristSite Guru
Maybe I missed the boat but if it is good enough for a 20-30k truck or a lawn mower, tractor etc etc why not just run it in the saw?? I need to be schooled on this I guess.

I would think twice about dumping mixed gas into my 20k truck, but that is just me.

kspakland

kspakland

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Northern Arizona, Off the grid but I need to move
Because I also run a 2 stroke generator as power backup for my solar setup, I never have old premix gas.
I seem to mix a 5 gallon can a week.
Every week.
Runs the gen and saws.
BUT, if I did, I would have no trouble using it in the truck, mixed with lots of fresh gas of course.
If the mix was real old, it would be used as fire starter when it comes time to burn trash.
Did I win a prize ?

Last edited:
Walt41

Walt41

Addicted to ArboristSite
I dump old mix in my old commercial walkbehind mower, that thing will burn anything and never complain. I even recently ran a batch of rancid stuff out of a friends generator I fixed, no problem.

bruiser 1

bruiser 1

ArboristSite Operative
I have about 2 gallons of mixed gas from last season. I need to get it out of my container so I can mix fresh gas. Any ideas? Would it hurt my truck to dump it in the tank with 20 gallons of regular gas that's in there?

I"m still trying to figure out how you managed to have 2 MIX GALLONS left. I try to keep ahead too maybe, 1/2 - 1 Anyway I put in the mower MOSQUITO PATROL

weimedog

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I have about 2 gallons of mixed gas from last season. I need to get it out of my container so I can mix fresh gas. Any ideas? Would it hurt my truck to dump it in the tank with 20 gallons of regular gas thats in there?

I have an old International Harvester W-4 gas powered farm tractor from the late 1940's- early 1950's era. It eats all my old gas...doesn't even burp!

Zombiechopper

Zombiechopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Maybe I missed the boat but if it is good enough for a 20-30k truck or a lawn mower, tractor etc etc why not just run it in the saw?? I need to be schooled on this I guess.

I would think twice about dumping mixed gas into my 20k truck, but that is just me.

because for strokes don't blow up on old gas. They might run like #### but it doesn't kill em. Plus, I'm usually getting rid of last summers mix that had stabil in it so it really isn't even bad its just not worth it if it is or is on its way to crapsville. I do not put mix in my road vehicles with catalytic convertors though. ive heard its bad- maybe it would foul an 02 sensor? Dunno for sure

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
. AS Supporting Member.
If you have very little gas left in your vehicle tank then make sure you fill up with fresh gas before you add the mix. I fed a gallon of old mix to our Subaru when it had less than 1/8 tank full of regular gas and drove about 20 miles before filling up. This made a mess of the injectors and it doesn't seem to have been itself every since.

Erick

Erick

Addicted to ArboristSite
I always get a good chuckle when I see guys dump the fuel out of a $400.00 chainsaw because its "not fit for use" and then dump it in a $6000.00 4-wheeler.... much less a 30K vehicle with more sensitive electronics than the space shuttle. :laugh:

If it’s "not fit for use" just pour the $6.00 worth of fuel out (on the ground if you have to) and buy some fresh. If it's still "Okay" maybe pour it in the 300.00 push mower.... but for Pete’s sake at least give it a "once over" look and give it the ole sniff test so you know you’re not killing your pusher. :dizzy:

Just my
twocents.gif

:cheers:

Latest posts