What to look for in a used saw to avoid trouble?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Have the Saw

Thank you again to everyone for the information you passed along. I am now the happy owner of a CS62 :greenchainsaw: . The fella that had it was a nice guy - insisted I lay it on a cushion before pulling the starter. The saw was cold - engaged the choke and the decompress, two squirts with the bulb - started on the first pull. Quiet and ran smooth at idle, accelerated smoothly all the way to the top. I scared myself on the compression test - held the starter rope and let saw dangle - boop, boop, boop, boop and down toward the floor she went. Then I disengaged the decompression mechanism and tried the same test. It hung there like a big mean green and yellow sausage in the butcher's window. There's not a scuff or scratch anywhere to be seen, no smudges. Looks like it just came out of the box. The only sign of use is that you can't read "John Deere" on the bar. The guy was selling it for a friend of his who bought it two years ago, used it for about 15 hours cutting firewood, then moved to the city. It's been sitting since then. By the way, "Made in Italy" is stamped on the casing and on the bar. This would seem to help confirm Efco/Emak/Oleo Mac. (See how effortlessly that flows? One week with ArboristSite and I can talk like I know what I'm doing!)

Thanks again! Now - about those mods ...

Jim

Use it and enjoy it awhile; before messing with the mods. Otherwise you will not have anything to compare it with. Every now and then one comes pretty hot right out of the box; in any case, break it in good, get use to how it feels and performs. Then you will know what if any mods might be appropriate. But don't rush into a bunch of mods, just cause the rest of us have done so.

I did not do any mods on my saws for a long time; until I was convinced the newer saws had turned the muffler into a 'jake brake' to meet EPA noise restrictions. Freeing up the muffler does make a nice difference in most newer saws. But, even that, is something you can do after you get to know your saw.

Good work Jim;

I see in my price guess that I forgot to factor in how everything costs a little more when it's painted J.D. green.

Your saw seems like it falls into the "hardly used" category, which is the best way to buy a used saw.

The Efco saws are well built, but somewhat underated. And the 62CC is the best saw in their lineup. You should be able to enjoy it for a long time!

Update on CS62

Thanks *again* for all the help, you guys. The CS62 has been in use for a few weeks now, and I have to say that your collective guidance really paid off. Starts on the first or second pull - every time - and really goes quickly, quietly, and smoothly through even big, hard stuff. I'm not sure if I said that I bought this one because my little HD Echo got snagged from the house construction site last year. Now I'm almost glad it got snagged. I thought the Echo was great. There is really no comparison though, and rightly so - at the very least this saw is twice the size as my former little guy. the CS62 is a gas to use. It makes quick work of hard work. Hey! If that ever gets turned into a logo, you heard it here first. I want royalties!

Jim

Latest posts

Back