What to Replace my Dolmar 421

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is the 2nd ported like that and it gained a ton of rpm in cut and torque
A chunk of my work is feral tree removal, and fuel economy is pretty important for how much I get done. Walking lots, cutting not much, end up a long way from fuel - always half way through a tree.
The stock or mild ported 241 is pretty much untouchable if the wood is small enough, I can't imagine a strato gutted saw is likely to be as miserly with fuel. Am I right?

A chunk of my work is feral tree removal, and fuel economy is pretty important for how much I get done. Walking lots, cutting not much, end up a long way from fuel - always half way through a tree.
The stock or mild ported 241 is pretty much untouchable if the wood is small enough, I can't imagine a strato gutted saw is likely to be as miserly with fuel. Am I right?
Right. If u gut the strato u basically have a 6 port transfer instead of a quad port

Thanks. Theory is one thing, asking someone who has tried is better.
Just my opinion but u r welcome. You could ask Brad as he came up with that porting and was kind enough to help me with mine. He has ran alota other saws also to compare it with including the 421. To get that 241 to run like Brads u gotta feed it alota fuel and the gutting is necessary imo

Sorry I meant SE.

Not sure where my head was at on that one!

I won't tell you where I live, you're likely to get a sore back. ;)

What causes these new huskys to require a pull/push on the choke lever for hi idle to get them restarted once warmed up. Is it just certain models, or are they all like this ??

It's enough of an inconvenience on the ground but standing on a set of climbing spurs 60' up is a pain!!

That's one thing I'll miss with the 421, shortest pull on any cord ever once warmed up. That's what sold me on the 420 in the first place.

I know this is an old thread but I have a 421 with the same high idle issues . In the shop now second time in as many weeks! If anyone has any info on the cause I would really like to know. My dealer is scratching his head????

I know this is an old thread but I have a 421 with the same high idle issues . In the shop now second time in as many weeks! If anyone has any info on the cause I would really like to know. My dealer is scratching his head????
Sorry about the thread revival, if you still have the saw check the following list.

- check clutch is free and clean of oil, clutch springs are good and not dragging
- check fuel line isn't kinked or leaking, this can change when hot causing a lean condition
- check tank vent isn't clogged, this can cause an intermittent lean condition (turn saw on side while running and open the cap slightly, if air rushes in and RPM changes the vent is likely not working)
- check you're running correct plug gap, the 421 specs NGK CMR7A-5 not the standard gap variant CMR7A plug which may cause tuning issues
- check the fuel line to tank and all unions etc are in good condition, confirm o-ring is in place and hasn't swelled
- check the fuel line to the primer where the throttle rod rubs against it (check if it's rubbed a hole, check whether the throttle is hanging on it)
- get a competent technician to assess for an air leak, and/or put a length of hose on the intake to isolate it and spray aerosol starter around the engine/carb to see if it affects the idle

If you search terms relating to idle issues, you'll find hundreds of posts regarding all makes of saws and only this post regarding the PS421. It's rather odd that the OP states he's had this same unresolved issue with 3x PS421's

Figure this may also help anyone else with this issue as this was the only post I found. Mine was nothing serious; my throttle was hanging due to debris at the handle.

Don’t replace it with a Makita, stick with Stihl or Husqvarna, read my posts on getting parts for my Dolmar/Makita and what a crappy company Makita is to deal with.

They never told me what was wrong with mine. It went to Chicago and Georgia , and no fix . They sent me a Chinese Makita for a replacement, which I promptly sold. Replaced it with an Echo 501p. Really nice saw light and fast in the wood .

Latest posts

Back