What trimmer are you running?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got me a nice used KBL34A, I want a good quality trimmer to handle a blade from time to time. I think with its traditional crankcase and cylinder I am going to muffler mod it first then grind on the cylinder a little bit to see what I can get out of it. I will first get all the parts ordered and do some baseline cutting, I will keep my progress posted!

1993 Craftsman "Weed Eater". Still runs perfectly after 16 years. Two full acres of driveway, trees, flowerbeds, garden, sidewalks, roadway, to deal with. Starts all the time. I maintain it just as well as a $720 chainsaw,$5300 garden tractor, or a 1985 Troy Bilt Horse tiller. I'm not looking to kill it and it aint willing to die. What to do? I read where Echo, Stihl, Shinny, make great trimmers maybe some day I'll need one. But in reality after 16 years of flawless performance with a low budget brand would I be smart in switching brands? REJ2.

1993 Craftsman "Weed Eater". Still runs perfectly after 16 years. Two full acres of driveway, trees, flowerbeds, garden, sidewalks, roadway, to deal with. Starts all the time. I maintain it just as well as a $720 chainsaw,$5300 garden tractor, or a 1985 Troy Bilt Horse tiller. I'm not looking to kill it and it aint willing to die. What to do? I read where Echo, Stihl, Shinny, make great trimmers maybe some day I'll need one. But in reality after 16 years of flawless performance with a low budget brand would I be smart in switching brands? REJ2.

REJ2,

OK! Great. Let my 12 year old use for ten minutes. It's history. Make that five.

Take care,

ole joat

husqvarna 355fx
355Fx_H210-0171_huge.jpg

53.3cc
with chainsaw blade
dr_beaver_blade.jpg

it runs very well

husqvarna 355fx
355Fx_H210-0171_huge.jpg

53.3cc
with chainsaw blade
dr_beaver_blade.jpg

it runs very well

And I thought I was going to be able to outgun everyone with a FS450 and FS480 at work. Then along comes this. Wouldn't recommend any of these big boys for general use though. You can't load them up in shorter grass and they will flick stones about 50yds in all directions ensuring that it's not only your own windows you break. Analogy would be 880/3120 for limbing.

And I thought I was going to be able to outgun everyone with a FS450 and FS480 at work. Then along comes this. Wouldn't recommend any of these big boys for general use though. You can't load them up in shorter grass and they will flick stones about 50yds in all directions ensuring that it's not only your own windows you break. Analogy would be 880/3120 for limbing.

Just a FYI, the mack daddy of brush cutters is the Stihl FS550, 56.5cc and 3.75hp.:jawdrop:

Just a FYI, the mack daddy of brush cutters is the Stihl FS550, 56.5cc and 3.75hp.:jawdrop:

Have seen the Fs550 in all the brochures but have not yet come across anyone who has even seen one let alone used it. From what I've been told they are an older design (big bore Fs500) and certainly not light.

Shindaiwa's

272X and C350-- C350 was $90 pickup off craigslist. Runs great
attachment.php

C-35--25 years old and still running strong, my goto rig for blade work.
attachment.php

BP-35--Another e-bay find. Once you get harnessed in, its great for long jobs and hill work, comfortable to run. Not so good for stop and go work.
attachment.php

Last edited:

LOL dont be a Wuss!
I use the FS450 all the time for cutting lawns.
The way to load them up is to throw away the gaurd and give it some more line:)

Thats walking backwards and mulching the grass BTW.
Im using about 7 litres a day in mine.

It was gutless the other day so after some checks and a clean air filter i found the choke was 1/4 on DOH!

From lightest to heaviest

Dolmar MS-22c.... 8.3lbs/.9HP
Redmax 2301...... 9.5lbs/1HP
Kawasaki KGT27a..... 10.2lbs/1.6HP
Stihl FS250....... 13.9lbs/2.15HP
Stihl FS410....... way to damn heavy/just plain kicks azz :laugh:

The two main users are the Kawi for the lightweight loop handle stuff and the FS250 for the heavier bike handle needs.

The little light weights are really nice and if I lived in the city and just needed to trim around the mail box post and along the side walk and driveway those would be just the ticket and all the trimmer you'd ever need, but around here with 23 acres the Kawi is the perfect combo of light weight and power to get the job done. The 250 comes out for the larger areas and ditch lines where the bike handles really shine and for most of the blade work.

The FS410 is a force to be reckoned with and handles the extreme heavy duty work and the big blade work, but man is that thing heavy :dizzy:. It really only comes out when you need to lay waste to some nasty stuff the FS250 can't handle..... and there aint a lot the 250 can't handle. ;)

I’ve also still got the old Homie ST275 out in the garage that just needs a little TLC and a few other choice Pieces-O-Shat laying around for good measure. :laugh:

Just a FYI, the mack daddy of brush cutters is the Stihl FS550, 56.5cc and 3.75hp.

I think my 61cc FS410 would tend to disagree with you. :jawdrop:
:D :laugh:
:cheers:

Been running a Sears Brushwacker (spelling?) from the early 90s for about the last 9-10 years. My dad used it from 1992 until he gave it to me around 2000. It's 38cc of raw torque... only hits 5-6,000RPM, but has the most a$$ kicking low end power of anything I've ever used. Will power a 10" saw blade through 3-4" diameter trees and will cut things like honeysuckle, cattails and pampas grass with nothing more than .095 Husqvarna trimmer line. The negatives are the weight and no vibration dampening whatsoever. Still runs like new and until it takes its last breath I will run it like no tomorrow. Later!

Back