What was the first chainsaw you ran?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First power saw I used was at about 12 yrs. old - electric Sachs-Dolmar 285 , closely followed by a Sachs-Dolmar 105.

First saw I bought - Dolmar PS-6400 which is also my favorite go-to saw!

The 4 saws my dad and I ever had are also the only saws I ever ran: Sachs-Dolmar 285 ; Sachs-Dolmar 105 , Dolmar PS-6400 , Dolmar PS-7900

Dolmar 105-PS6400-PS7900-02.JPG Sachs-Dolmar 285.JPG Sachs-Dolmar 105.JPG
Dolmar PS-6400.JPG Dolmar PS-7900.JPG

My first saw, and the first one I operated was this one, an 026 that I bought new. I still use it sometimes.
026_zps3quk27dh.jpg

Now I mostly use my new 555 AT. This one.
555at_new800_zps9wmtltcb.jpg

Funny story is that my dad did not own a chainsaw. He was a local butcher and owned some cattle and pastries with trees in it. So I bought the first chainsaw in the house in 1978, an 038. Dead reliable saw but it was a bad starter. Favorite now is my MS200, in spite of several carb issues.

Funny story is that my dad did not own a chainsaw. He was a local butcher and owned some cattle and pastries with trees in it. So I bought the first chainsaw in the house in 1978, an 038. Dead reliable saw but it was a bad starter. Favorite now is my MS200, in spite of several carb issues.

288 xp best saw in the bunch have one for years no stopping this saw.

Homelite Super witha 16" bar. It scared the hell out of me with the vibration and the noise and worrying about cutting myself and was I doing this right.....?! I was 11 or 12. So worried about all the other stuff I forgot to keep hitting the oiler button. Smoke started coming off the bar and my dad was up behind me in a flash screaming at me for wrecking his chain and bar lol. Funny now but it wasnt for me then.

On the ground its a 460. In the air its a 201T/C. Yes I hate to admit it but I like it more than me trusty 200T

Man that would be sweet cutting in a place with pastries growing. I would probably get really fat though.
Sorry couldn't help myself.

Seriously though I have no idea of a number but it was heavy and yellow with a couple welds on it. How many remember back to the days when you could weld up a crack on the case of a saw?

3 years ago , I bought my 1 st saw , an almost never used Echo 750 evl . Best saw so far 372 xp.
Hope that will change , just bougt a 550 xp , waiting for it to arrive..... :)

Think it'd be neat to see what saw everyone over here on the F&L forum started out on...and what's your favorite saw?

Reckon I'll get it started, the first saw I run was a stihl 046, my favorite saw is Stihl's 461r
Think it'd be neat to see what saw everyone over here on the F&L forum started out on...and what's your favorite saw?

Reckon I'll get it started, the first saw I run was a stihl 046, my favorite saw is Stihl's 461r

Dads old top handle poulan. It was an excellent saw. Lots of camping & caving trips that thing came along for firewood duty. My first saw was you guessed it an 056, of the super kind. Clutch flew off one day and the loony tune drunk tree trimmer said he'd fix it and never ga e it back. That man cut the center piece of his wifes late parents home IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. For no reason, other than being drunk probably. Good sized pin oak. Nice tree. He was a friend of mines dad, thats the only reason i knew of the s
Work. I pretty much taught myself to climb working, well with the "ill pay you next job" stuff i dont know if slaving would be more appropriate. I was just eager to be running a saw. climing took no time to get comfortable. Old school style. I believe there is aa rather epic thread about his preferred spurs, belt, & flip rope. As opposed to harnesses ropes. EVERY aspect of tree climbing other than the 3 i just mentioned. I'll give him credit, be could do what needed to be done with his minimalistic setup. I was young and impressionable. Probably sounded pretty stupid. Oh well..

Christ! Does anyone else think buttons on these phones could be a little larger. I try to correct things but its all so small..

First saw I used was a craftsman electric chainsaw. Favorite that I own would be an echo 590. Favorite that I have used would be the stihl 661.

If it had a full-wrap handlebar then it was probably a 1-52 or 1-53. Similar saw, with a bit more power. Parts got swapped around quite a bit on those Macs however....

Latest posts

Back