What wood is really yellow on the inside and smells really funny when burnt/

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TKO-KID

TKO-KID

ArboristSite Operative
not Mulberry looks like Locust when split has a stinky sox kinda smell almost like some crab apple trees have.

I think it might be locust from what everyone is saying. Because I was splitting the wood in the garage and then the garage started stinky. I would say it is kind of like a stinky sock or sour smell to it. The smell coming out of the chimney seems to be normal wood burning smell.

urhstry

urhstry

ArboristSite Operative
I have the same wood that I am burning. i have no idea what it is either but it is plentiful here in PA. VERY wet inside.....ok for heat, not the best, and somewhat stringy.

TallElf

TallElf

ArboristSite Operative
Along my crick bed I have a few like that, It seems like it is in the locust family. The top on mine was dead as he:censored: but when i dropped her, she bled like a stuck pig for about 3 weeks.

If it is locust I could have my stove run at about 350* all banked down. It is a wonder wood.

Jimfound

Jimfound

ArboristSite Operative
I won't take any credit if it turns out to be right cause someone already mentioned it on here - Kentucky Coffee Tree.

First pic is the original posted and second is Coffee Tree bark. I also agree with someone who said the bark is not deeply fissured enough for Locust.