What woodcutting has done for me.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
5 years ago my wife and I moved to Tn.When we first looked at this place, my wife said, "you have got to be kidding me...."
But I assured her, give me five years and this place will be as nice as the house we left behind.
today marks the 4 year mark, and my favorite hobby of woodcutting has paid off big time.Among all the new improvements, I am almost finished with her kitchen.
All of the maple I got I saved, and milled into planks.this past month the provided the material for the cabinets.Left over pieces mixed with walnut and cherry were saved to make the butcher block counter tops.
Here is the place when we bought it.

Cabinets were made of old paneling,floor was vinyl, and the carpet was a hideous maroon color.

Last years woodcutting profits paid for all the material, new appliances, carpeting,cabinet hardware, etc.Not one red cent was spent out of family budget.

So far, here is the new kitchen.Took me two months to build the cabinets, but they are worth all the time.the only wood that was bought was the birch plywood for the panels and boxes, and again was paid for from woodcutting.

Like I said, woodcutting has got to be my most favorite pastime, and although I have wondered over the years if its worth all the pain and agravation, in the end it has proven to be a godsend.
I figure in another six months I will be done with all the trimwork around the house.

Good job and nice work. :clap:

Deserving of rep...but can't get ya right now.

Kevin

Lookin good! Are those two pictures of the same area? What does the wife think now?

They are of the same area, just a little different angle.Where the fridge is now used to be the back door.We moved it over to the right,kept the old window, etc.

Wife loves it.Says it is finally starting to look like a home rather than a shack.

Mighty fine work!

I'm going to have to rep your for it once my 24 hour wait time is up. :D

PS ... I think I speak for the rest of us when I say that more pics as you continue would be good!

:cheers:

Beautiful work!
I'm going through the same thing, but I'm not as fast as you. :cheers:
March was our 4 year mark, and I haven't got to the kitchen yet. But I had to take 700 sq ft of a 1300 sq ft house all the way to the dirt, and start over. It would have been much easier, and faster to have just built a new house. :bang:

Andy

Nice work av. Anytime you are bored, I have a couple projects for ya. I'll trade deer hunting or ice fishing for flooring like that! Right now I'm about 1/2way through redoing the crappy sawdust board subfloors in my trailerhouse, and will probably just do the cheapo hardwood flooring over the new plywood. Carpet does truly suck, and you never really know how dirty it is until you rip the stuff out.

Rep is coming when I can hit you again.

Quality work. Nothing give more satisfaction than doing it right and from scratch.

I didn't see any blood stains anywhere.........no serious mishaps in the process?

Back