What would happen if you ran .050 gauge chain on a .058 guage bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
most roller noses accept 050/058/063 just like the drive sprockets.

Up here on the east end of the great lakes, the 050/058 is very common and typically it leads to the chains rolling and the bar rails peaning over and creating a kerf problem with the chain. Usually can be corrected with a bar grind and installing the correct chain.

Just what constitutes a "broken in bar"?

When I was a dead rookie I never thought about the bar and chain interacting. Now that I've moved up to rookie, it occurs to me that the chain moving across the bar must polish the bar. More polish - less friction. Some bars are better than others, just like Stihl chain is harder than most other chain, different steel.

when the chain runs freely in the bar!!
There is a lot of H.P. lost in a bar that
is not running freely. Yes some bars
are better than others. But as far as
cutting crooked!! We don't have no
problem in 19 inch round. A saw will
cut circles or crooked if it is not filed properly we call it butter bowling.

Last edited:
when the chain runs freely in the bar!!
There is a lot of H.P. lost in a bar that
is not running freely. Yes some bars
are better than others. But as far as
cutting crooked!! We don't have no
problem in 19 inch round. A saw will
cut circles or crooked if it is not filed
properly we call it butter bowling.

so that is all I can say

Thanks

What is the proper bar groove width for 0.050" and 0.058"? Or if that's the nominal groove width, then what is the drive tang width?

From experience, I stand with others suggesting you do not run a .050 chain in a .058 bar. By the time the .050 chain is worn out, so will your bar. As stated, the chain will favor one side of the bar and cause a internal groove inside the rails. Installing a .058 chain on the ruined bar will continue to cut in curves.

Latest posts

Back