What would you do???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treecutr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else does/ did this when they were fairly new, but.... I

I have a few landscapers that I give a cut to when they help line me up with a job, and 1 guy that gets jobs, but no longer has the gear or kness for climbing. Well bad knees has a problem getting back to me, and I don't want him to think I'm screwing him out of his cut by just doing it, so I waited to hear from him ( over a month ). Got a hold of him, contacted customer, they went with someone else because they hadn't heard from me. What the hell am I to do???? I don't want to ruin a friendship, but WTH?? I have one other job lined up that he basically got for us, but I am again waiting to hear from him. I pretty much want to give him a percentage " finders " fee that I do with the landscapers that get me jobs, and hope hes not pissed and thinks I screwed him out of hunderds of dollars. I can tell you that this is the last job I ever intend to do with him. It sucks because he's very experienced, about 12 years or so. And I trust his judgement, but I don't think I can afford to "partner up" so to speak, with him anymore. Thoughts anyone????

Are you working as a sub. for him? He sells and coordinates the gig, you get er done.

Sounds like you need to call a meeting with him and discuss your concerns. That way you both have an understanding and agreement.

You get the lead man do the job. You can always settle up with him later, if your an honest guy and it sounds like you are then youll be good to go. Never let a job slip you buy when the customer settles on spending the cash they are gonna do it, dont let them give it to someone else.

he seems to not have a problem................

leaving you hanging.

i think it's time for you to return the favor.permanently.

Do the job, send him a check same day with a thank you note attached. Call and tell him the check is on its way and what does he have lined up next. He will like that a lot better than NO CHECK due to you not getting job.

Not subbing for him. He used to work in the field, but now has a cushy desk job in medical field, but he still gets a lot of calls for tree jobs. He was turning them down until he met me during softball season, so he and I did a few jobs together that he had, but wouldn't have been able to do without me because he no longer has climbing gear, and his knees are too messed up for climbing. So these are jobs I may or may not have gotten without him. we did one job to get another. It's this other job that he was screwing up. So.

Today I called client myself after tracking down number and told him my " partner " is out of picture, gave him bid, and now waiting. I called my " partner " and left a message letting him know I was doing the job with my normal crew, and I'd give him a finders fee. As of this posting he hadn't got back to me, at this point, screw him. If he doen't understand the business of it then I don't need him.

I am confused by your post Treecutr. You refer to him as your partner???

As I understand it he calls you and tells you about a job, and then bids for it, expecting you to do the work for the price he calls.

Is he trying to remain in the middle man position for some reason?

I would have thought it would be the case that an old client rings him to ask for a job to be done, he would say he no longer does it but here is the number of a bloke who can do it well (you), and passes on your details to them and their details to you. If you get the job you send him a thank$.

burn the phone lines up. :phone:
waiting for someone else to do the right thing (COMMUNICATE) doesn't always work. call until you get the answer/info you want, or pi$$ em off. doesn't seem like like you guys are on the same path anyway.

persistence usually accomplishes far more than patience. :cheers:

I said " partner ", bucause he would still help with the job, ground guy. the deal I have with a few landscapers is exactly that situation, they get asked to/ or if they can do a tree job, and pass my info to them. If I get the job, I give them a finders fee, works great. They get money for no work, and I pick up a job I may not have gotten to start with. I've settled on no longer doing any work with this guy. all jobs that were tied to him are now either done, or I will be doing without him. Once done with these last 2, he's out of the picture completely.

I see - said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Work your own crew. Guest laborers almost always up the risks, slow you down, and by the sounds of this guy have the capability to #### up the entire job.

Don't be afraid of referred work. Just don't let them have your balls for collateral.

Best of luck man!:cheers:

Latest posts

Back