what would you pay for an 029/ms290?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowcar281

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good friend of mine just bought his first house and has some small trees to clear along his property line and is looking for a good saw. He wants a ms290 ( I had a muffler modded one a few years ago and he loved running it to cut up wood for bonfires). I've been looking on craigslist and ebay and it seems to me people ask crazy prices for these saws that are well used. I was looking at a 029 super and the owner won't budge from 285 dollars which is kinda high I think. I was watching another 290 on ebay and its already at 245 dollars plus its 35 dollars to ship it. I cant imagine paying anywhere near 300 for one of these saws used.

I was thinking to tell him to go to the local stihl dealer and get an ms250 since they are on sale for 299 and he would be getting a brand new saw, but he seems stuck on wanting an 029/290.

what do yall think?

I have a 029 for sale with a 20" bar a 16" bar two new chains and 3 or 4 that have 75% life and sharp.

300 routinely here I had a 029 super I sold for that on Cl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 029 has something like 3.7-3.8 hp, and weighs around 12-13 lbs, I think.

The 026 has 3.5 HP and weighs around 10-11 lbs.

If he is looking to spend 200-300, I'd think he would be better off buying an 026. I don't understand why 029's would be selling for that much.

Im thinking about selling mine? Not sure what to ask ?but mine probably only has ten to 20 tanks through it and two maybe three years old? Last one dealer had didn't have 291's in yet.
Bet if I cleaned mine good it'd look brand new.
It's done everything I've ever needed!!

If he was a good friend of mine I'd recomend another saw! For a homeowner I see a 40-50cc saw as a better option. Something like a 270/271 would be much better in my eyes. Personaly I recomend all friends with similar needs a Dolmar 421. Built like a pro saw (mag case, etc.), made for the homeowner (easystart), pricewise MUCH better than from comparable companies, only 42cc but behaves like one size up!
The only thing I see interesting in the 029/290 is the extremely easy upgrade possibility to a 039/390 saw.

If he was a good friend of mine I'd recomend another saw! For a homeowner I see a 40-50cc saw as a better option. Something like a 270/271 would be much better in my eyes. Personaly I recomend all friends with similar needs a Dolmar 421. Built like a pro saw (mag case, etc.), made for the homeowner (easystart), pricewise MUCH better than from comparable companies, only 42cc but behaves like one size up!
The only thing I see interesting in the 029/290 is the extremely easy upgrade possibility to a 039/390 saw.

It ain't that easy taking those clamshell contraptions apart sucks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've got a couple of 029 290 saws I'm probably gonna sell pretty soon and they'll probably be in the $250 range. Last guy I sold one to forgot to put bar oil in it and burned up the bar and of course blamed me. I guess I need to ride along with the postal truck to be sure the buyer knows how to operate one when it is delivered..

I think I'm gonna pick one up to play with a 590

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have a MS 290 for years but I would not sale it for $350.
I trust that saw, never let me down.
I know many peoples have different opinions when come to a saw and I respect that.
This is my opinion, my baby.....

I would buy an 028 Super Wood Boss first. Problem is, they are no longer available for less than $200. Three years ago, I bought a pair of 028 Supers for $200 apiece that both needed some work. I did the work. The saws are now mine, and I'm glad I own both of them.

I just sold one for $275, and as I left the guy's house I saw some logs and asked him for some and returned $20 back to him, so $255 and a couple of logs.

sold mine for 350.00 that was what i paid for it new after six years of trouble free use and i bought a 590 for use on bigger stuff but anything with stihl on it sells fast for me.

Latest posts

Back