What you guys using for 2 stroke oil? -A fallers perspective-

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Young Bob (and come to think of it, Old Bob as well) runs ported saws. Specifically for Bitz a 390xp. I just looked at the husqvarna 390 owners manual for Sweden (in Swedish). For the 390xp they recommend a 50:1 ratio of husqvarna oil, but a 33:1 ratio of what I think is any other approved oil. Legally, I don't think you can recommend 33:1 in America. So the manufacture is comfortable with a 50:1 with synthetic oil without EPA interference, but recommends 33:1 for what I am assuming is non-full synthetic. This is also for saws with 155ish PSI stock. I would be comfortable running full synthetic at 50:1 in a stock saw if Husqvarna is. At 210psi, I'm liking more oil. If I'm buying less expensive oil, I'd be mixing at 32:1 as recommended by the manufacturer in the absence of the EPA. Clear as mud

Yeah is Australia husky recommends 25:1 to one in the larger saws also. To each his own but I wouldn't cheap out on the oil part running modded huskies.

Been running Amsoil Dominator for the past year or so. No issues. Somewhere around $32 a gallon. Saws run great, no issues with fumes. 50:1......miracle my saws haven't all grenaded yet, according to the cs forum experts lol.

Hope you're busy and all's well Bob - Sam
Same here but I wonder why no mention of Dominator oil for saws on the website ? They actually say to use Sabre. I think the Dominator may be more heavy duty?

I would bet that it is more the denominator than the dominator that is important. BwaaHaaaHaaaa......Sexual Chocolate!

Husk, that was one of my favorite moves as a kid! Me and my brother used to call each other "Brother Noomsbee" for years after seeing that movie! LOL!

Man...my bubble is bursted again! I thought all you pros were real tough guys, non of that wussy firewooder/farmer/home owner sissy two stroke oil..real thin, non manly oil....Here I was guessing ya'all just walked around out in the street back in front of them logger bars, with them high heel spike boots on, then just ripped the clumps of road tar off, and then *squeezed* that into your gas can and shook it up.

It's OK, I won't tell anyone....

Man...my bubble is bursted again! I thought all you pros were real tough guys, non of that wussy firewooder/farmer/home owner sissy two stroke oil..real thin, non manly oil....Here I was guessing ya'all just walked around out in the street back in front of them logger bars, with them high heel spike boots on, then just ripped the clumps of road tar off, and then *squeezed* that into your gas can and shook it up.

It's OK, I won't tell anyone....

That's okay. We're used to you and the fact that you're so often wrong. That's not a compliment, son.

I have blended years with 50:1 full synthetic snow go oil, made by a local gas station chain called Teboil. I think Teboil has lubrication laboratory of its own. The oil is made for low temperatures, however I've been burning it all year round. No wrecks so far (knocking my forehead right now). It costs just about half of the chainsaw brand mixers. The gas station a couple of blocks away has also a small bar, frequented by horse sports orientated gentlemen, which is convenient. I can grab a can of mix oil and put horse race ticket in at the same time.

Too bad Teboil has not stretched to Americas yet, Bitz.

That's nice. Shouldn't you be out feeding your chickens or something?

I was joking about an oil thread man. An oil thread.....No idea why you took it another way. I thought someone might want to run with it and add another funny, a variation on the clumps of road tar maybe.....

As to what I have been doing, came in awhile ago, out working in the rain, had to rescue a cow that was stuck in mud too deep for her to get out of, she tried crossing a ditch at the wrong place. Took a little creative rigging to get this done, so she wouldn't get hurt.

Yes..some of us are farmers..and some of the stuff that happens is funny, and sometimes it is interesting, sometimes it is easy, sometimes it is hard. Same as anyone's outside job I guess.

We run Husqvarna low smoke. Buy it by the 6 pack of 12.8oz(5gal) mix for $30. I mix one bottle into 4 gallons of gas. Had some bearing problems on some of the new huskys when they came out with the plastic bearing cages(562 372xt).......I have run a ton of it threw my old school 372s,390 and 395 and never had a problem with them. I just picked up a new 372xpg a few weeks ago, hoping it holds together.

Having torn down quite a few saws with bearing failures I would go with a good synthetic. Woodland pro seems to work fine for guys milling and Andy and Bob. I've seen a few blue cranks on husky 372 and 390s along with big end bearings killed. Burvol sent me one of his that grenades the big end in a month of run time and it needed a new crank and all the bearings. He said he was running 50:1 in it Stihl ultra. Just my .02 worth. You might save on the oil but if you lose a crank in your saw you're out $250 plus labor and maybe a top end.
Stihl HP Ultra is a thin synthetic--8.45 CST at 100C:
http://www.stihllibrary.com/pdf/msds/2cy_HP_Ultra.pdf

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66505
"I personally think that Stihl ultra is too thin at elevated temperatures with only ~8cSt@100°C"
-pe reveirs

^ Who is pe reveirs? He's one of the foremost experts on RC 2 cycle aircraft engines like MVVS from the Netherlands.

Heavier viscosities protect better at high temps and higher RPM's. That's what was so great about Mobil 1 Racing 2T, having 13.8 CST @ 100C. I have a bunch of this for sale, but I guess my 100% positive feedback, 200+ transaction Ebay account is somehow meaningless since I'm new here.

Thanks for all the replys! Yeah I always forget the bearings. When I think of a failure its usually the slug and jug. Right now I'm buying the 6 packs of 5 gallon mixers for 26 bucks. Its Husky XP oil and I'm running it at 45:1. Yep that's goofy I know. I ran 40:1 for years, but for the last year I've been cheaping out and stretching that mix with an extra half gallon. I guess it just makes me feel better. The crap I was thinking of running is a no-name synthetic blend. For some reason I didn't realize that Husky or Stihl brand would come in gallon jugs. I will definitely have to check into that. Right now I really only have one production saw and I need it to last for another 6 months at least. I like to think that most oils are pretty equal especially at the higher mix ratios. Who knows the **** probably all comes from the same factory, its just tough to think outside of the name brands. I think this thread is kind of doing what I hoped it would, talk me out of cheaping out! Those damn expenses though. I gotta figure out how to cut corners somewhere!

Thanks for all the replys! Yeah I always forget the bearings. When I think of a failure its usually the slug and jug. Right now I'm buying the 6 packs of 5 gallon mixers for 26 bucks. Its Husky XP oil and I'm running it at 45:1. Yep that's goofy I know. I ran 40:1 for years, but for the last year I've been cheaping out and stretching that mix with an extra half gallon. I guess it just makes me feel better. The crap I was thinking of running is a no-name synthetic blend. For some reason I didn't realize that Husky or Stihl brand would come in gallon jugs. I will definitely have to check into that. Right now I really only have one production saw and I need it to last for another 6 months at least. I like to think that most oils are pretty equal especially at the higher mix ratios. Who knows the **** probably all comes from the same factory, its just tough to think outside of the name brands. I think this thread is kind of doing what I hoped it would, talk me out of cheaping out! Those damn expenses though. I gotta figure out how to cut corners somewhere!

Dude, cheap pre mix oils and lean ratios aren't where you want to skimp. LOL!

.... think this thread is kind of doing what I hoped it would, talk me out of cheaping out! Those damn expenses though. I gotta figure out how to cut corners somewhere!

You're really sounding like a logger now.:laugh: Making money in this business is easy. Keeping any of it is the hard part.

The only advice I'd have for you is not to cheap out on something that, by spending just a little more, will keep you working. The price difference, and it isn't really all that much, between good oil and "take-a-chance-bargain-oil is all you're really paying anyway.
Hang in there Bob...if it was easy everybody would be doing it.

Been running Amsoil Dominator for the past year or so. No issues. Somewhere around $32 a gallon. Saws run great, no issues with fumes. 50:1......miracle my saws haven't all grenaded yet, according to the cs forum experts lol.

Hope you're busy and all's well Bob - Sam

I've got work from here until God knows when. If I could only keep the skidder together for more than a week at a time. Had the tranny out and apart last week. Just gotta keep on the up and up. Keep pushin. Its only trees and machines, right? I'm going to look into Amsoil around here. $32 a gal would knock a lot off for me and you are putting more hours on your saws than I am. I hope its not getting to cold up there by you! Single digits here tonight. Should be snappy in the am. Gotta do some welding on the grapple. Thanks for the suggestion Sam! I may run with that one.

Latest posts

Back