What's a decent bush knife?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrebug

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been watching re-runs of "Dual Survival" and I notice these guys will do without water, food and basic necessities. But... they never, ever go into the bush without a decent knife.

Since I'm seriously lacking in that department can anyone recommend a good multi-purpose bush knife. I'd like to get something but also dont want to break the bank.

Pics would be nice if you recommend something. Thanks

I've been watching re-runs of "Dual Survival" and I notice these guys will do without water, food and basic necessities. But... they never, ever go into the bush without a decent knife.

Since I'm seriously lacking in that department can anyone recommend a good multi-purpose bush knife. I'd like to get something but also dont want to break the bank.

Pics would be nice if you recommend something. Thanks

I picked up the fiskars machete and it works great for only $15.
I also use the Gerber Parang it has a nice shape to it and works awesome!

I have much nicer knives but the SOG Seal Pup is pretty tough and cheap. Can't go wrong with a K-bar either.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a broad range of knives you're asking about.
I like the Cold Steel SRK. If you want something basic, try the Cold Steel bushman survival knife. I have both of them and they both do well. the Bushman is a hollow handle type knife that you can put a handle in to use as a make shift spear. Pretty versatile tool for around $20-25.

SRK
SRK_350.jpg

Bushman

IMAG0924.jpg

image003__Medium_t.jpg

006-3.jpg

I also have this Mac daddy the Cold Steel Trail Master :msp_thumbup:

CS16JSM.jpg

Leathermen Wave.

Absolutely love mine. Feel naked without it. It's not fancy or glamorous, but you'll use it daily. Guaranteed for life. I have at least a hundred pocket knives, my leatherman has been my daily carry since I got it. Takes an edge (and I do mean razor sharp) easily, holds up to much abuse. Any of the full size or heavy duty Leatherman tools should do.

Leatherman multi-tools: Wave

Absolutely love mine. Feel naked without it. It's not fancy or glamorous, but you'll use it daily. Guaranteed for life. I have at least a hundred pocket knives, my leatherman has been my daily carry since I got it. Takes an edge (and I do mean razor sharp) easily, holds up to much abuse. Any of the full size or heavy duty Leatherman tools should do.

Leatherman multi-tools: Wave

+1

Still made in America. Wear my Wave always. It was even in my pocket when I got married, and I repaired the hasp on my newly married wife's necklace after it got snagged on her dress.

Made me a hero more than once. You never realize how often you hear someone say "aw does anyone have a ___??" where the blank is usually a knife, screwdriver, scissors or pliers.

I've got several more expensive knives, and many prettier knives. But I carry this Leatherman as my EDC, in my pocket whenever I go in the woods.

Leatherman knives: c304/c305

Fits easily in my pocket, I use the clip to hold it a little handier than digging to the bottom. The clip is reversible which I like as I am left handed.The serrated blade opens one handed and locks open. The screw drivers have been put to work on chainsaw, ATV, guns, truck, stove, and others. Oh, yea, and the ever critical bottle opener for a couple Canadian brews to maintain my hydration level.

Looks like it is discontinued by Leatherman, probably could still find one online, or maybe one of their newer ones is even better.

I have a leatherman Juice CS-4 for when I can't wear my gerber legend 800. I also have a Schrade Something I used before I got my Gerber. I feel very nekid without my gerber. That thing has been through hell and still keeps doing what needs to be done.

Military combat knives

I like the SOG Seal Pup design, but my favorite blade design is the K-Bar military combat/fighting knife design. Hard to beat.
I have an original Case combat knife with leather wrapped handle that I like a lot.

Seal Pup is between $52.50 and 57.90 at Wally Whirld on line. Sweet price!!

Here is the SOG version of the military combat blade. Damn good price too:

SOG Fixation Bowie Knife with Nylon Sheath - Walmart.com

I spend alot of time in the woods. Long walks with the dogs some over night camping. Every time I go I carry these 3 knives: Gerber Bear Grylls Parang, Camllius Les Stroud Mountain knife and Leatherman Wave. The Les Stroud Knife was a x-mas gift and I have used it much but I like it. I have used the Machete and the leatherman alot!. All can be bought at Crappy Tire!

20130110201120.jpg

This place here has some awsome Knives!
Bushcraft Canada

Wow, that's a broad range of knives you're asking about.
I like the Cold Steel SRK. If you want something basic, try the Cold Steel bushman survival knife. I have both of them and they both do well. the Bushman is a hollow handle type knife that you can put a handle in to use as a make shift spear. Pretty versatile tool for around $20-25.

SRK

Bushman

I also have this Mac daddy the Cold Steel Trail Master :msp_thumbup:

Id like one of those bushman knife/spearheads

I have mostly old timers, and one nice benchmade kukri

with that said, any of the old surplus army/navy/air force/marine service knives are good

depends on your operating area.
I would rather have my K-bar and a hatchet.
the k-bar is small enough to work with, the hatchet for the chopping.

In denser areas, a machete works better, but its too big to do detail work.

Depending on what you’re willing to spend…

Boker Magnum Duck Head Bowie – about $35.oo
attachment.php

Boker Plus Mark I Navy Fighting Knife – about $60.oo
attachment.php

My personal favorite stainless belt knife - Boker Abrolito El Trampero Guayacan Hunter – about $100.oo
attachment.php

A bit spendy for an every day belt knife, but absolutely beautiful - Boker Bob Dozier – over $300.oo
attachment.php

gerber LMF II survival (heavy, but the belt cutter is nice)

Gerber_Legendary_Blades_Gerber_LMF_II_ASEK_Coyote_Brown_Survival_Knife.jpg

gerber air ranger (found the serrations useful, and the point holds up to scraping battery posts)
not the easiest to resharpen, but holds up well when you do

images

used to carry spyderco folders, but the pointy end didn't hold up to screwdriver use

yes, I like folders because I don't end up leaving them in the truck :)

think I'd rather carry a small saw than a big knife...like a drywall saw...just a thought

protouch%E2%84%A2-drywalljab-saw-141.jpg

K-Bar FTW

depends on your operating area.
I would rather have my K-bar and a hatchet.
the k-bar is small enough to work with, the hatchet for the chopping.

In denser areas, a machete works better, but its too big to do detail work.

Good choice. K-Bar USMC combat knife is a great survival tool.

Wspider, the only one of those Bokers I would consider a survival knife is the Mark I Navy. All the others have slippery looking handles when wet or muddy.

For working you need a knife that can be used like a small lightweight machette, and then used for detail work, like Fronty Owner mentions. All, in less than optimum conditions.
That means Kraton, leather, or handles with a good pommel for gripping while hacking.

Latest posts

Back