What's a low hour 044 worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fumducker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy one of these. Best guess is its had 10 hrs of use. The guy wants $500 for it. I don't have pics and won't unless I buy it.

Just want to be fair with the guy but it's hard to put a value on such an old saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beat good runner 044's go for $300-$400 nice ones for $400-550. Last year I could get a new ms440 for $750, which is the same saw but with flippy caps, so $500 for a good clean used 70cc saw is a fair price. I paid $400 for a low hour one three years ago.

If it's got ten hours, there should be almost no paint worn off the bar. Paint wear on a Stihl is a pretty good indication of usage (assuming it's the original bar)

The 044/MS440 was made for a lot of years. Some like the 10mm as they supposedly have more power. The age of a saw can affect it's value as seals and other rubber parts suffer from age and plastic parts can get brittle. The 044 isn't a collector saw, they're common enough that people are buying them to use. Because they are a common saw there are lots of sales and thus with a little searching a value can be put on it.
For $500 it would have to be exceptional as they sold for less the $800 new.

Based on your reporting of condition, if the saw runs good and I was seeking one, I'd probably give up the $500 and get the saw (after trying for a lower price) because really nice ones don't become available that often. If you bought a ratty one for $300 and put a couple hundred in it...

I will look it over good. The guy listed it in the local paper. He's a 45 minute drive away. I've asked him a lot of questions and he's very adamant about the condition. I'm trying to get pics but haven't received them yet.

We're planning on meeting at the city shop on Saturday to look over and run the saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back