whats eating my wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sometimes I build log furniture and know that if the bark is off the wood they will die (but who would want to do that to firewood) you can cover the wood with black plastic during warm sunny days for about a month, it will kill them. Here in the west its not a big concern that I know of, although they could migrate to nearby trees. They are grubs (moth larvae) I'm not an expert and someone here will know more about it, just my 2 cts. Seems to me certain bugs like certain trees. ps, good energy if you ever forget your lunch:D

Last edited:
they are some type of larva. not sure what kind, but they eat alot, they are ruining all my pine saw logs. . I would not take any wood in the house that you know has the grubs in it . during the summer if you listen closely you can hear them eating .

Right, I've had those in oak, too. I don't worry about them since I only bring in a week's worth of wood at a time into the attached sun room in back of my house during the winter, and the critter you see in the picture isn't going anywhere before the log goes in the fire.

It's actually a beetle larvae, hard to be exact on species. I doubt it is any threat to structures unless they contain damp wood and they won't eat that much of your wood unless you store it for years.

It's actually a beetle larvae, hard to be exact on species. I doubt it is any threat to structures unless they contain damp wood and they won't eat that much of your wood unless you store it for years.

I doubt so, too. Whatever they do during the winter, they're not leaving the log except as gas up the chimney.

I find them some also, they dont seem to eat near as much of my fire wood as that OWB :msp_biggrin:Man that thing is HUNGRY!!!
I agree the owd does eat more wood than the grub . the first Time I heard them in my stacks of wood I havd no clue what it was then I found then while I was splitting .

Back