Whats good material to learn tree health

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cottonwoody

Reaction score
Ive been trying to figure out some good books to get to learn about general tree health. My customers are constantly asking me questions about their trees and I would like to tell them helpfull information. Any suggestions?

Here's a good one

Here's a book that I've used a lot and is still recommended in courses for a commercial applicator cert. "Insects that Feed on Trees and Shrubs" by Johnson and Lyon.

Mine is a 4th printing from 1982. There's a new edition that has changed a little. Great photos, descriptions, life cycles. You can look stuff up starting with the host plant or the type of insect.

For books on diseases, and plant health in general, consult your "county extension office" (that's what we have in PA. I don't know if other states have the same system). They may have resources on hand, but will definitely be able to point you in the right direction.

I just got re-certified as a commercial applicator and the study material included excellent stuff on weeds, plant health, insects, diseases.

Good luck!

Check canopy on down to the roots into soil. Soil compaction tool. Tree growth habits, problematic? Sugar reserves. Micronutrients/pH. Fe v Man etc. Root fertilization topical v pin point burn. Carbon/nitrogen ratio for Organics and microbe support. How a tree branch is wrapped yearly to support amazing lengths of some branches. Types of xylem. Conductivity. Evapotranspiration. L

Latest posts

Back