What's Hittin' the Grill or Smoker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am familiar with Franklin barbecue. My wife did her doctoral studies in Austin. Great barbecue the type of guy I want to emulate. Very simple menu when he sells out he sells out. Anytime I go to a barbecue restaurant and they have 20 menu items I know it's not gonna be great. Almost impossible to get that many menu items perfectly cooked without having everything a red light district…

I have thick-skin and I'm a chiver.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

373842abc3e8cdf504fc1606de6d051c.jpg

a8c881713414e23bb32b8519b394ed85.jpg

b01753b05fd4f5aaaa9c73500345a641.jpg

dc647c13c6b49f41ab00a9917894d509.jpg

bcb08d28735ba9a873bd15779204d031.jpg

I have to admit, I lurk around this forum to learn about saws, but BBQ is a passion as well. I design and fabricate all my own smokers. Make all my own rubs and sauces, I take on the whole hobby. Jason

your pix of the ribs confuses me a bit. that smoking rack extends out from the smoker quite a bit... does all of that fit inside that part of the smoker's diameter?

All of my racks are made out of stainless steel and they slide out for easy loading unloading spacing and saucing. The upper two racks can be completely removed if I do something large and three-dimensional like a hog. Or I can leave all the racks in if I'm doing things that take a lot of surface area like corn chicken or ribs and need the extra rack space.

All of my racks are made out of stainless steel and they slide out for easy loading unloading spacing and saucing. The upper two racks can be completely removed if I do something large and three-dimensional like a hog. Or I can leave all the racks in if I'm doing things that take a lot of surface area like corn chicken or ribs and need the extra rack space. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so in the ribs pix, you only have to push back the rack... seems as if it is one big one... and it then all fits in across the smoker's diameter in the middle?.... imo, in pix seems no room behind the rack. but prob just more-so how i am seeing it...

Beautiful job on that fish brother (or sister if the case maybe)

What cooked temp are you smoking those at and for how long?

1f6c1eb0c0390ffed8d798c07cbd15ec.jpg

5949c4d5fca7e8313586c0b049b3149b.jpg

Two different levels of cooking grates. As stated above all stainless steel they are on you channel guides so they can come all the way out but do not tip when pulled out with weight on the
63efe39ce00d7a2a8ea9788681f3f33b.jpg

Jason Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks... where i get lost is ur top pix 2nd shelf w/ribs has no pull out handle (angle bkt?) but the pix just above your grate fab work w/corn and chicken does?...

Good Eye (or ma'am)sir, I do not have a handle on the upper rack so I can slide pans in and out easier. I make a lot of side dishes that I let cook up there and I figured the L channel handle would get in the way. I wear insulated gloves to rotate meet around and so I can just pull that rack out. I treat the inside of the smoker like I would a cast-iron skillet no soap. Couple times year I'll scrape it with a putty knife. Reapply some good vegetable oil and smoke to season. Because of all the oil and fats rendering from the meet those trays slide very nice. When I built the smoker I was very adamant that everything is level and on the same plane so I have a 4 foot level and I level the countertop where the sink is and that also means that the cooking surface is level. Just a small touch but that's the way I fabricate things.

I think that's only if you eat them.
I thought the carbon would filter out impurities.
Beautiful job on that fish brother (or sister if the case maybe)

What cooked temp are you smoking those at and for how long?

Yes. did you keep it wrapped or just have the foil on the bottom. That's a serious trout. Do the pin bones soften up enough from smoking or do you have to eat around them?

Good Eye (or ma'am)sir, I do not have a handle on the upper rack so I can slide pans in and out easier. I make a lot of side dishes that I let cook up there and I figured the L channel handle would get in the way. I wear insulated gloves to rotate meet around and so I can just pull that rack out. I treat the inside of the smoker like I would a cast-iron skillet no soap. Couple times year I'll scrape it with a putty knife. Reapply some good vegetable oil and smoke to season. Because of all the oil and fats rendering from the meet those trays slide very nice. When I built the smoker I was very adamant that everything is level and on the same plane so I have a 4 foot level and I level the countertop where the sink is and that also means that the cooking surface is level. Just a small touch but that's the way I fabricate things. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

>Good Eye (or ma'am) sir,

fyi firemore - rumor has it there are only 2 female profiles on the AS... ms TNT and ms Sling... hint: all the rest then are sirs... :cool:

well, you still have not explained the bottom shelf issue to me such that it is clear in my mind. but, nbd. small point. I was not referring to the upper rack. I was referring to the 2 pix of 2 lower racks. but as I say, nbd. and that is not a dis. I will just assume since u do so much crafting and fab work... that u have 2 bottom racks. :D still am interested in the poik ribs discussion if u have the time to spell it out as u said you would be happy to do... " no secrets, happy to help if anybody has any questions let me know I would be glad to help...."

thanks for the reply

>Good Eye (or ma'am) sir,

fyi firemore - rumor has it there are only 2 female profiles on the AS... ms TNT and ms Sling... hint: all the rest then are sirs... :cool:

well, you still have not explained the bottom shelf issue to me such that it is clear in my mind. but, nbd. small point. I was not referring to the upper rack. I was referring to the 2 pix of 2 lower racks. but as I say, nbd. and that is not a dis. I will just assume since u do so much crafting and fab work... that u have 2 bottom racks. :D still am interested in the poik ribs discussion if u have the time to spell it out as u said you would be happy to do... " no secrets, happy to help if anybody has any questions let me know I would be glad to help...."

thanks for the reply

I gotcha now I had to go back and look at the pics. I built the smoker 95% in 30 days a marathon... The L channel handle on the bottom was a later addition/upgrade and the pics are from different time periods. I try to do one upgrade a year, but I'm running out of weight capacity on my trailer. She weights 3,475lbs right now on 3500 lb axle.

Jason

I gotcha now I had to go back and look at the pics. I built the smoker 95% in 30 days a marathon... The L channel handle on the bottom was a later addition/upgrade and the pics are from different time periods. I try to do one upgrade a year, but I'm running out of weight capacity on my trailer. She weights 3,475lbs right now on 3500 lb axle. JasonSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for the clarification... annual upgrade! lol ;)...

well, as so many other posters have noted too... your attention to detail shows up in both your craftsmanship and design... as well as end products... I like working with both steel and wood. most people have problems cutting a straight line in wood, much less steel! if u don't mind, 2 more questions?:

1-your pix often show cooking feasts to float the band... lots of food! are those for catering jobs?, seems a lot of chow for a one person vegetarian family of two (unless u have a large family)....

2-your fabrication abilities are high quality. not what the average guy that likes to work with welding, grinding and steel design can do. even if exp'd and with a good shop. your work is, imo... a cut above - how does a fireman acquire that? were you a trained welder by trade... or just a guy that does things a certain way...

sometimes I will cruise thru the CL BBQ smoker ads in my area... no shortage of offers and designs. every once in awhile one can run across a really good deal... 10-cents on the dollar kinda stuff, well built and the $$ don't include the labor. I have been tempted from time to time as A. Franklin's theories I find interesting. however, I have an offset smoker... and as R. Proenneke was fond of saying way out there at Twin Lakes, AK... 'good enuff for my needs!'

here is a pix of one that caught my eye... think the price was under $200.00!!! or thereabouts... and on wheels!! just add elbow grease, some repairs and black BBQ paint... and 'viola'... cool smoker... I liked the stack's postion... much as A. Franklin builds his as per the welding/construction section of his book...
smoker.jpg

>Good Eye (or ma'am) sir, fyi firemore - rumor has it there are only 2 female profiles on the AS... ms TNT and ms Sling... hint: all the rest then are sirs... :cool:

EDIT: well, b4 I get called out on this or that re: only 2 female AS'r on the AS... I got to thinking [ I know, I know... :rolleyes:] well, there are a handful or so of Mrs. AS profiles, too... and of course, there is Mrs Arbor Site, as well...

1) I am a firefighter and so those fellas keep me pretty busy with weddings, graduation parties etc. but truthfully I have the most fun cooking for friends and family and or various charity events. My wife works with make a wish foundation so I do a fund raiser for them annually. I also worth with a few veterans and I have do a lot of fundraising for wounded warrior project. BBQ isn't a cheap hobby, all told in It for upwards of $50,000 so a few paying gigs a year like weddings helps keep the hobby going and helps me come up the upgrades to my arsenal every year( I don't believe in resting on your laurels). Making a little money on a few bigger gigs every year helps me do more pro bono events. I usually cook about 20-30 events a year and take January-March off. I specialize in events from 100-500 people.

2) 100% self taught welder and fabricator. I have a bachelors degree in physics, so the engineering and design are backed in an understanding of forces and the functionality come from my understand of heat and smoke path from being a firefighter. There are many functional rigs out there that don't look like much or dot don't have a great flow and some of that just comes from working off a pit and leading what works and what doesn't work for you. My family has been in BBQ for generations and so every time we build a new rig there are lessons learned from the last one and they evolve in that way. My current rig is my design, didn't intentionally copy anyone's design, but I am always checking out rigs whereever I go. I am friends with the Myron Mixon family and have cooked with them, I have been to BBQ with Franklin in Austin, Gator Pits in Houston and many other lessor known BBQ establishments. When my wife and I travel we always try to visit Local BBQ joints I have had BBQ in many countries other than America. I learn something from just about every pit I see, and it's taking the best of each design and applying it to the type of cooking you enjoy and that your region enjoys eating the most. I had to balance my fab skills with available tools when I chose some of the design and do that in such a way that it never looked "cheap". For example re purposing a propane tank is infantry easier than having a 3/8 steel plate rolled into a tube. First of all there are only a handful of shops that have that kind of Equiptment and secondly a propane tank can be had for sub scrap metal prices. I figure I have @500 man hour in my rig and @$9,500 just in materials. I've had a lot of offers to sell her, but she just cooks so well and there isn't much I would change so for now she stays. I do wish I would have put her on a double axle trailer so I could add more options that weigh a lot, such as a folding roof for in climate weather and a warming rack for side dish pans. But I am at a safe weight now and cannot legally add an weight. I have also thought about re chassising the smoker onto an antique fire truck the compartment space would be great for all my tents, spices, tables, chafing dishes, coolers, etc. but for now I am enjoying her every time she gets fired up. I tend to be a meticulous guy and I will literally loose sleep if something is under engineered. If I come up with a solution that's good but not good enough or exceeded my tools or fab skills I had to go back to the drawing board and lay in bed and stare at the ceiling till a more creative solution came to me. The smoker was built with a couple angle grinders, a metal cutting chop saw, torch, Mig welder, tig welder, tape measure, some levels and a mini excavator. No real fancy fab shop. Sometimes making a few gussets took an hour or two, starting with cardboard then going to metal, whereas a water jet or plasma cutter would have been nice and made things quicker, just didn't have access to one.

I appreciate all the kind words about my smoker, I would like to find a way to take a walk around video and show you guys some more of the features that these pics can't show or explain. I don't have a YouTube channel but if anyone knows how to post a video I will shoot it tomorrow and post it. Please pm me and explain how to post. I think there are some cool design features you guys will really dig. Thanks

Latest posts

Back