What's Hittin' the Grill or Smoker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Later this afternoon/early evening, son and one of his buddies will be here to eat. Big rack of ribs low and slow on the grill, skillet of McKenzies' frozen roll, golden creamed corn, pot of purple hull peas, both previous seasoned with country cured side meat, and a big ol' pot of rice. Plenty of sweet tea.

Edit--- in lieu of the pot of rice, doing a casserole dish of quartered up, baked red potatoes drizzled with olive oil, and shaken in a bag of Lipton Savory Herb and Garlic mix.

Sounds good, maybe we can get to see the results!

stand by there, mates!! :yes:... the so Texas BBQ arrived, was sampled, tasted tested and photographed for future reference... remainder inventory... inventoried! film after the race on race day! vroom! vroom!... 14,000!! rpm engines anyone?? ;)

wow!

Later this afternoon/early evening, son and one of his buddies will be here to eat. Big rack of ribs low and slow on the grill, skillet of McKenzies' frozen roll, golden creamed corn, pot of purple hull peas, both previous seasoned with country cured side meat, and a big ol' pot of rice. Plenty of sweet tea.

well, we couldn't wait... and dint want to smoke them til middle of race day... lol... so paid our respects at local hole in the wall BBQ diner. awesome cookings there. they do their meats with hickory. I know. met owner one day and he gave me the proverbial cook's tour in person... sharing and telling me all kinds of 'been at it for over 50 years!' methods, techniques and secrets... :):D:)

got lean and moist brisket, pound an a half of omg, soo good smoked poik ribs :p and all the trimmings... (yes, had some for lunch, today!) pretty sure our Indy 500 Race Day Dinner will be:

...:oops::oops::oops:...

smoked brisket
smoked poik ribs
my homemade BBQ sauce
cowboy ranch beans
baked potato (russets)
homemade potato salad (hellman's recipe, with lite mods)
caramel ice cream...

vroom, vroom!!!! ;)

can u say 14, 500 rpm dinner! first place winner all the way :numberone:

and: :cheers:

Yep chicken and pork needs to be cooked!

I like my steak like a chunk of ahi tuna. Just the outside 1/8" cooked.

omg! :surprised3:

grill one for you there, svk:barbecue:?? "no, thanks"... just let it sit out in the sun 10 mins... :crazy: could u flip mine at 5 mins...? kinda like both sides caramelized.... iukwim but rare to raw in middle... oh yeah, please.... ;)

so sorry! - couldn't resist!! :laughing:

:givebeer:

Happy Memorial Day to all. Gonna grill up burgers and dogs a little later...with lettuce, sliced tomatoes, sliced Vidalia onion, cheese, and pickles. Chips on the side.

now there is a 'hoot' of a MDW menu... :)

I like 'dawgs'... in fact I am a dawg! University of Washington... school mascot: Husky. we are all referred to as ' dawgs'... affectionately... and of course our school football team... yup! the dawgs... lol

and I like hot dogs, too. my fav way is... roasted on a stick. but, grilled just fine, too. toasted bun over grill. and sliced tomatoes, too. really! sliced and then cut in half. and singly placed in bun next to the dawg. hot dogs served this way are called SLY dawgs... and they are awesome. that's all I am saying about it... ;) for me, w/ketchup, mustard and mayo... try one!
auw1.jpg

Earlier, I put four slabs of ribs on the smoker. One slab of Spare ribs and three slabs of baby back.
Some with my normal rub and some with Carolina.
Potato salad, baked beans and Deviled eggs to round things out.
If I could catch a Delta flight, I'd be there in 2 hrs, if you'd have this ol Jarhead as company. Potato salad, deviled eggs, and baked beans...ten thumbs up brother. Happy Memorial Day to ya brother.

If I could catch a Delta flight, I'd be there in 2 hrs, if you'd have this ol Jarhead as company. Potato salad, deviled eggs, and baked beans...ten thumbs up brother. Happy Memorial Day to ya brother.
Absolutely, love to have you. You're welcome at my camp fire anytime!
Happy Memorial Day to you. Thank you for your service!

How do you age a steak 28 days?
I start with a whole Primal. Below is a pic of two strip shells I did earlier this year.
image.jpg

I rinse and pat dry before placing on a rack, on a sheet pan. The sheet pan goes in the vegetable drawer of my Pantry fridge. The drawer stays around 38 degrees. Nothing else is allowed in the drawer while it has meat aging in it. There they stay, until I pull them out to slice, trim and package. During the aging process, the meat develops a crust that has to be trimmed off before eating or packaging. After trimming, I vacuum pack the steaks individually and freeze.
In the pic of the Rib eyes, the white on the sheet pan is Kosher salt. Salt is a natural anti bacterial agent and helps pull moisture from the meat, even though it never touches the meat.
Below is a pic of the strip steaks after trimming. They weren't aged as long as the Ribeye's and are brighter red in color. The longer the meat ages, the deeper the color becomes and more tender the meat is.
28 days is the longest I've aged a Primal. If you go too far, it can get funky.
There's a lot of information online (some of it good and some, not so much) about the process. It's not rocket science and can yield excellent results, if properly done.
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back