What's in a bar???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what's the difference between E and ES in the Stihl line?

I beleive that the E bars do not have a replaceable sprocket nose while the ES do

Jimmy
I beleive that the E bars do not have a replaceable sprocket nose while the ES do

That is just one of the differenses.

The E is laminated, while the ES is solid stihl, except for the tip, and are sturdier and heavier. The ES may also last longer, as for wear, but I am not really sure of that.....

Last edited:
Woodsman Pro seems to be the best $ wise. Check them out at baileys.

Baily's Woodsman Pro bars are made by Cannon. They are identical to the Super Bar but have the different name. I was told this directly from a Cannon representative during a phone conversation.
I assume they knew of what they were speaking.

Baily's Woodsman Pro bars are made by Cannon. They are identical to the Super Bar but have the different name. I was told this directly from a Cannon representative during a phone conversation.

That is what I have read earlier.....;)

Yep. I just bought one. WP is painted on the body but "Cannon" is laser engraved near the powerhead end.

Last edited:
Stihls are a good balance between performance and cost, Oregons tend to be more affordable and less durable. I will add that the last Oregon Powermatch bar I bought has done far better than any Oregon bar I've ever owned before. They are doing something right or better on their "pro" bars. Still don't think it is as good as my Stihl bars, but it didn't cost as much either.

Mark

I can get Stihl ES bars from my dealer about 10 dollars cheaper than an Oregon Powermatch of the same size. Lucky for me I guess...:)

The Powermatch bars I have used are good bars though.

Gary

I like the reduced weight oregon I have on my 044 pretty well, even though it's a 28" shorty, it's a good one.

They use Oregon Powermatch tips. If I think about it, my bar is a mutt!

The WoodsmanPRO/Cannon bars were equipped with Oregon Powermatch noses until about 2004. They now have their own single rivet sprocketnose tip that is interchangeable with the Oregon one. The biggest difference between the noses is the Oregon one has 5 rivets holding the sprocket, while the WoodsmanPRO one has 6. Oh yeah, the WoodsmanPRO nose also cost less. :D :D :D

The WoodsmanPRO/Cannon bars were equipped with Oregon Powermatch noses until about 2004. They now have their own single rivet sprocketnose tip that is interchangeable with the Oregon one. The biggest difference between the noses is the Oregon one has 5 rivets holding the sprocket, while the WoodsmanPRO one has 6. Oh yeah, the WoodsmanPRO nose also cost less. :D :D :D

That fits better with what I have "heard" before.......;)

That's one of the many reasons Bailey's rules! Clarification from the "Big Kahuna" him self.:biggrinbounce2:

Oh Mr. NBailey, you've been buying too many dusty boxes. Pick up a few fresh boxes and you will see the PowerMatch tips have six rivets.

The nose component and 6 rivet design worked sooooo well in the Harvester bars that it was incorporated into the PowerMatch tips. Harvester bars operate with machines in the 20 to 55 hp range so the PowerMatch tips do real well with chain saws in the 3 to 7 hp range.

I missed your smiling face at the Eugene Logging show these past few years.

Take care, OE

I like the reduced weight oregon I have on my 044 pretty well, even though it's a 28" shorty, it's a good one.

I run a couple 32 inch reduced weights occasionally and I love how they are lighter just where you back wants it to be lighter. But for accurate blocking cutting at weird angles to the grain, etc. I find them a bit too whippy.

I've quit buying any additional Canon's even though I like them because they are TOO heavy (and expensive). I still run a few, but for example my 395 with a Canon 36 inch bar gets to be a backbreaker after a few hours of blocking out accurate rectangles where I have to hold the saw in position to begin the cut (vs normal crosscutting where the dogs and chain pretty much instantly take the weight.)

For typical use, I'll bet my 7900 with a 28 inch reduced weight bar would be a nice combo....Hmm ..

Last edited:
Oregon makes most of the bars for Husky, Jonsered and Partner, but some are made here in Norway, at a Husky owned facrory.

I have the bars made in Norway on my Jred 2152 and 2159, and have used them on my older Husky's, and I think they are a good

Last edited:
Oh Mr. NBailey, you've been buying too many dusty boxes. Pick up a few fresh boxes and you will see the PowerMatch tips have six rivets.

The nose component and 6 rivet design worked sooooo well in the Harvester bars that it was incorporated into the PowerMatch tips. Harvester bars operate with machines in the 20 to 55 hp range so the PowerMatch tips do real well with chain saws in the 3 to 7 hp range.

I missed your smiling face at the Eugene Logging show these past few years.

Take care, OE

i gotta ask, y the hole with the plug in it just towards the powerhead from the tip? its is extremely aggrating when it get filled up with sawdust....i mig welded mine shut

Latest posts

Back