What's in your cutting kit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian S

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Tired of the "best of" threads here is something completely different.

This is the cutting box that I use to transport all my saw accessories to and from the woods.

3477630952_6c7d8379e4_b.jpg

I use a couple of bungees over the top to hold everything in, I don't like to coop up the gas and oil soaked rags inside a closed container.

Here is what is inside...
3476822769_dcb8f9c7e8_b.jpg

Premix, bar oil, 2-stroke oil, chaps, muffs, gloves, hatchet, soap, wire brush, T-27 torx tool, tach, oil can, funnel, files, guides, spare bar nuts, spare e-clips, spare clutch springs, carb screw driver, spare spark plugs, and a length of nylon rope.

I usually cut wood at a couple of places that are 30 miles from home at the closest so I tend to take plenty of tools and spare bars/chains with me. I also take several bottles of water, it goes along with the soap. I'm so allergiac to poision ivy that I have to wash after just looking at it. I also usually take a roll of paper towel too.

Do you bring anything different? Have any suggestions?

I use a Craftsman tool box for my stuff. Check out the pics, you'll probably see a lil bit of everything in there. On top of this, my Fiskars Axe and of course mix and bar oil go as well (and the cant hook if I know I need it).

aao.sized.jpg

aan.sized.jpg

aap.sized.jpg

aaq.sized.jpg

Tired of the "best of" threads here is something completely different.

This is the cutting box that I use to transport all my saw accessories to and from the woods.

3477630952_6c7d8379e4_b.jpg

I use a couple of bungees over the top to hold everything in, I don't like to coop up the gas and oil soaked rags inside a closed container.

Here is what is inside...
3476822769_dcb8f9c7e8_b.jpg

Premix, bar oil, 2-stroke oil, chaps, muffs, gloves, hatchet, soap, wire brush, T-27 torx tool, tach, oil can, funnel, files, guides, spare bar nuts, spare e-clips, spare clutch springs, carb screw driver, spare spark plugs, and a length of nylon rope.

I usually cut wood at a couple of places that are 30 miles from home at the closest so I tend to take plenty of tools and spare bars/chains with me. I also take several bottles of water, it goes along with the soap. I'm so allergiac to poision ivy that I have to wash after just looking at it. I also usually take a roll of paper towel too.

Do you bring anything different? Have any suggestions?

Looks. Good Idea on this thread. Something new.

I use a Craftsman tool box for my stuff. Check out the pics, you'll probably see a lil bit of everything in there. On top of this, my Fiskars Axe and of course mix and bar oil go as well (and the cant hook if I know I need it).

aao.sized.jpg

aan.sized.jpg

aap.sized.jpg

aaq.sized.jpg

Looks just like my box, I got a box just like that, files, scrwench's, wedges, file guides, misc tools, tach, tape measure.

Nice setup Evan! I have that exact same Craftsman T27 driver in my home tool set.

I forgot to add that I need more wedges! I use wooden ones and I'm all out.

Here is my list:
The stuff in blue normally stays in the millin yard but it all comes with me if I mill elsewhere.
Luckily I have a Toyota Hi-Ace Van to carry all this stuff in.

880 and 076 with 42" and 60" bars for the Alaskan
441 with 24" bar for mini mill
Alaskan Mill
mini mill
fresh gas
mix oil
bar oil
unistrut rails
RHS rail for mini mil
cant hooks
Kangaroo jack for lifting logs
Alternate set of mill rails for mill
2 x 6ft portable tressle table for servicing saw
Plastic chair for sittin and filing!
Plastic tub full of wedges
Crow bar
What I call my offset rack for starting awkward shaped logs
Pair of strong collapsible sawhorses
broom

axe
shovel
fire extinguisher
cordless drill
rags
Funnel
Oil can - filled with bar oil
Paint and paint brush
Box of spare chains - I use an old power tool box and wrap the chains in rags or place inside chinese food containers
Tarpaulin to throw over gear if it rains

In Tool Tote
Scrench(2)
Regular screw driver
Small regular screw
#2 phillips screw driver
carb adjusting screw driver
pliers/check
crescent wrench
vice grips
tape measure
wood chisel
driver tips #2 & #3
round files
flat file/check
drill bits
allen wrenchs
deck screws check
Small 2" vice
Pair of 12" clamps
Digital Angle finder
Regular level
Torx driver
Small socket set
Spare nuts and bolts for log rails, mill and saw.
Magnetic anti-sag device for long bars.
Chaps
ear plugs and Peltor Muffs
Full Face shield
Gloves
respirator

food
water
spare clothes
camera
Hat
Sun Screen
Toilet Paper
Cell phone
First aid kit
Pack of moist towlettes (fer cleanin greasy hands before eating)
attachment.php

one thing to add, baby wipes.. they will clean anything and if its gentle enough for a baby butt, i can use them on anything... work great after eating or if your sweating and don't want to smell utterly awful on the way in to the house for a drink..I have kept a baggie of them in the truck since high school.. I have given away more than I care to count too..cheap and easy, but a must have, even if you have no kids of your own...

Advice on what to carry,

30 + years ago when I was cutting pulp, an old timer told me never go into the woods with a chain saw unless you have 2-1/2 ft of surgical tubing in your back pocket. It's the one thing that will save you, or someone else from bleeding to death. Always have it with me, not on the tractor, or in the truck, or in the kit at the landing.

Other than that a file, stump vise, wedges and hammer, spare chain, skrench, insect repellent, and gas and oil. Sometimes a bottle of water. All in a small tool bag, with a shoulder strap. Tie the gas and oil jugs together with a rope so they can be carried over the shoulder as well. Helmet and chaps can be worn in. The rest can stay in the truck or with the tractor.

Take Care

Ive been thinking of adding a shoulder strap to the tool box but I really dont have to walk far. Usually, the tool box stays with the quad or the truck.

my saw kit started with a shopping basket that i found. then it shrank and i had to find more room. i put the shopping basket inside of a 30gal plastic flower container. the small stuff goes in the basket (wedges, tape, chaps, torx wrench, spare chains). i zip tied two pieces of small automotive hose to the basket to hold the round files in a vertical position. i have a small ice cream container that keeps spare e clips, spare carb screwdrivers, depth gauge tool, flat file, and assorted nuts. in the space surrounding the basket, i put the 4lb sledge, splitting wedges, brake cleaner. all of this bungies into the corner of the truck bed.
i cut close enough to the truck that i only carry a scrench and carb screw driver along with a couple of wedges and a sledge with me to where i am cutting.

one thing to add, baby wipes.. they will clean anything and if its gentle enough for a baby butt, i can use them on anything... work great after eating or if your sweating and don't want to smell utterly awful on the way in to the house for a drink..I have kept a baggie of them in the truck since high school.. I have given away more than I care to count too..cheap and easy, but a must have, even if you have no kids of your own...

So true.

Latest posts

Back