What's in your saw box?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl sells a three pack of files in a segmented plastic sleeve. Bought those for the sizes I use and store files safely that way. Files haven't necessarily stayed stihl, but the sleeve is handy.

Nice setup, with the field box. What about the First Aid Kit? Anyone got pictures or a list of what you take when cutting? Just curious. Thanks Tom

thats great, i need to do something like that. i just throw all my crap in the space saver tray behind the seat in the truck. i keep chains under the seat in a plastic sidewalk chock container i stole from the kids.

Do any of you who carry these boxes try to protect your files? I cut a piece of shrink wrap to length and slide it on the file so the files don't rub together when in the tool box.

I slip a plastic drinking straw over my round files. For the flat files I make a scabbard out of a piece of cereal box cardboard and wrap it with duct tape.

Philbert

I believe they have that very same ammo box at Walmart if I'm not mistaken. Last I saw it was on clearance where I live. Can't remember the price though.

Here's another

I've got several of these boxes for various chains and parts, but only one orange box to make sure I grab the right one to take with me. I'm running out of room as I keep adding to it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I just have a few items stuffed into a 5 gal bucket , bar oil , 2 stroke oil , spare chain , and some brushes

Dry box is a good idea!

Ive been using an old dutch military medical bag, its "rubberized" and waterproof.

One thing that I havent seen mentioned much is a first aid kit. I carry a small one when I go out, nothing fancy, but a little can go a long way.:cheers:

I have a generic first aid kit from wally world. Just picked it up after my buddy had a close call and nicked himself. We realized here we were out in the woods with no first aid provisions. My kit has a few things we will probably never need but for the most part it is a good kit for field work. I think it is like 107 pieces or something. It was in the "pharmacy" area.

I have a generic first aid kit from wally world. Just picked it up after my buddy had a close call and nicked himself. We realized here we were out in the woods with no first aid provisions. My kit has a few things we will probably never need but for the most part it is a good kit for field work. I think it is like 107 pieces or something. It was in the "pharmacy" area.

i tried to find one with morphine, but was unsuccessful:monkey:

I whipped up this toolbox for my saws a couple years ago after dealing with the regular tool boxes that had handles through holes in the top that let water in them. It is a "Sportsman's Dry Box", basically a fancy plastic GI ammo can. Bright orange so it's easier to spot, and harder to accidentally run over.

In the bottom, I made a divider so I could keep sharp chains on one side, dull on the other, and some extra 2-stroke oil and bigger stuff in the middle. Wedges also go here, but they are in the tractor toolbox right now.

attachment.php

The small tray on top holds most of the tools needed for maintenance/ minor repairs of my saws. Contents: Reg and Phillips screwdrivers - normal sized and little fellows, pliers, scrench, small vise grip, Gerber Multi-plier, files, 3/8 metric sockets, extra ear plugs, and a metric wrench set. Except the Multi-plier, pretty much all cheap stuff I wouldn't shed a tear over if I dropped it in a snowbank and couldn't find it.

attachment.php

It's a tight squeeze to get everything in, and honestly the wrenches and sockets could be left out, except for the 17mm wrench for the bar nuts on the 271 that the scrench doesn't fit. Note that the scrench has to be tucked under the handle cutout to fit.

attachment.php

Anyone else got a cool way of keeping your saw stuff together? I'd like to make something to organize chains by saw, but that takes a lot of space, and I like having something handy sized like this.

Steve

Vey nice job. How did you secure the dividers in the bottom?

As far as first aid goes you should pack a very large type of bandage as a saw cut could be very large and you need to cover it. This was taught on a chainsaw course I took, it was considered one of the important items.
Besides my first aid kit. I have the usual tools. Seems now I have enough saws I just grab another one and fix the other at home when broken, I do my clean up at home. :cheers:

You might include a small paintbrush for cleaning around filler caps

Really nice job.

...Toothbrushes
Cut Down Paint Brushes...

Philbert

I use brushes as well, just takes a second to get rid of the junk around the filler caps and if you don't clean them I have found junk in (the tanks), gives junk out (performance and longevity).

I found that the paint brushes, even cut short ones fray / wear out too fast, so I found that parts washing brushes from the local auto supply store are more durable and better to use. :cheers:

Steve, nice little water tight box you have there, it's nice to have what you need, when you need it, where you can find it.

Last edited:
Back