New makita battery saw XC06Z

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alabama xl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently got a deal on a bare tool version of the makita xc06z, and am definitely not sad about it so far. It’s the 18V single battery 10” top handle saw. I purchased for about $130 delivered from an auction site with a best offer, new in open box. I figured at that price it was worth the risk, since I already have other tools that use these batteries. Looking now to buy their newer dual battery saw, either too or rear handle, and possibly use it as full on replacement for my trusty husky 435 for limbing work. There’s currently a deal on some of their stuff where you get two extra batteries, depending on where you buy.

This baby saw, I’ve only made a few cuts so far on smallish stuff, but it’s way faster than me and my silky, and this thing is so small and light! Not as light as and will never replace my silky, but I can see this doing a lot of the work that saw does while up in a tree or closer to the ground.

Battery chainsaws are only getting better. I love how quiet it is. But I’ve got to remind myself I’m holding a dangerous tool in my hand because of that and it’s tiny size. I’ve seen some people sad about how many buttons you have to press to turn in on, and frankly I don’t think there are enough!

I’m hoping that prices come down on the greenworks commerical stuff, which advertises the KW of the motor on various models, and look to be well made. It would be nice to be able to abandon gas saws completely except on the biggest jobs or when I’m feeling nostalgic for the smoke, vibration, and noise!View attachment 849014

Even this “toy” saw has an adjustable Oiler. If I get bored, I’ll try to figure out a way to hook up a watt meter to this and measure power draw under load. Not quite willing to crack it open just yet, but I do have an old dead battery pack that might allow me to make an adapter that I can use to hook up a meter. It’s really unfortunate that the numbers aren’t out there for people to compare various saws. HP/KW is not everything, but it helps make some better informed decisions.

Attachments

• 991C326C-8901-4310-8968-A672287F9B79.jpeg
    991C326C-8901-4310-8968-A672287F9B79.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
how do you like the little Makita so far ? i was checking out videos of it and it seems pretty good for a single 18 volt battery making it super light....im guessing around the weight of my echo 2511t?more or less....I have kinda stopped doing tree work but i cant help myself when i see something cool....

how do you like the little Makita so far ? i was checking out videos of it and it seems pretty good for a single 18 volt battery making it super light....im guessing around the weight of my echo 2511t?more or less....I have kinda stopped doing tree work but i cant help myself when i see something cool....
It’s great for what it is. 4” or so is the max it wants to handle. On bigger stuff, especially in harder woods, it shuts down from overheating, so you have to go slow on the big stuff. I mostly use it for cutting smaller limbs to thrown on the fire pit, pruning my fruit trees, cutting big pieces when taking overgrown bushes and hedges back to a more reasonable size. Great for that kind of work, and would definitely work for smaller limbing up in a tree. It’s way faster than me and a silky, especially when you’re having to reach a bit at an odd angle to cut what needs cut. Would definitely like to try out the newer 36v saws at some point for bigger work.

Still have to remind myself to be extra careful when the main button power is on, since it doesn’t make a sound when it’s not spinning the chain. Trigger discipline is very very important here! Nice that you can cut wood at night without bothering the neighbors, though.

I have the Makita 36 volt rear handle saw and like it pretty well for 6" and under stuff. I mostly cut stuff 4" and less with it and it makes for a handy saw to have by my chipper or in the basement by my wood stove. I've been looking at the 36 volt tophandle with the batteries in the rear but it's north of $400 scares me away and I fear it may not be well balanced.

There are a couple different versions of both the top handle and rear handle 36v saws from makita. I don’t have any experience with them, so can’t say if the newer saws are better than the older ones. They had a deal not so long ago, where they were offering 4 batteries instead of two, but I passed because I haven’t been cutting anyone else’s trees recently, let alone my own.

Still want to see the greenworks pro too handle saws, but I don’t climb enough to justify buying more saws right now.

I have a 36V Makita & while I think it's very good & makes a lot of sense as a climbing saw... 1 significant consideration when your 50' up a tree is the batteries don't last as long as a tank of gas

Looking now to buy their newer dual battery saw, either too or rear handle,
That xcu06 is kind of new at least I think. It has the time out to shut off about right in my opinion, For the double battery choices, I am not sure there is a newer rear handle model. xcu03 and xcu04 are basically the same there may be a non tool less chain adjust choice elsewhere on the globe. They are the ones found with the 4 battery package deal. For double battery top handle I have a brushed reduction gear one I think it endes in 02. Perhaps obselete, Very awkward but more torque, larger bore for the sprocket and no overload cut out. Just a button on the side of the handle similar to battery circular saws. I can't comment on the newer double battery top handle model xcu08 besides that I suspect the batteries are most likely more easily disloged than the Husqvarna choice.

That xcu06 is kind of new at least I think. It has the time out to shut off about right in my opinion, For the double battery choices, I am not sure there is a newer rear handle model. xcu03 and xcu04 are basically the same there may be a non tool less chain adjust choice elsewhere on the globe. They are the ones found with the 4 battery package deal. For double battery top handle I have a brushed reduction gear one I think it endes in 02. Perhaps obselete, Very awkward but more torque, larger bore for the sprocket and no overload cut out. Just a button on the side of the handle similar to battery circular saws. I can't comment on the newer double battery top handle model xcu08 besides that I suspect the batteries are most likely more easily disloged than the Husqvarna choice.
The rear handles, there is xcu07pt vs what I think is the older xcu3pt. I think they made the 07 have longer on time for the main power switch before auto shutoff kicks in, but there may be other differences? The 07 weighs .2 lbs more, but they don’t mention any other differences 4 battery deal is only with the older 03 model.

Latest posts

Back