Whats is worth as is or pay to build?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Dozzer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi, fellas-
Been a while. I got an 066 few years back on trade that needed a top end. Knowing the guy it came from, I decided a full rebuild was in order. This would more or less be a dedicated mill saw. I have purchased every single part needed to make this a new saw. Excluding a carb rebuild kit & caged bearing for the piston.
With what I have into it, I could have just bought a new one, or atleast a newer one, but I figured building this one wouid guarantee I knew the condition.
Problem is, its sat in pieces in a box for 2 years now & I just don't have the time. Im sure the proshop would put it together, but they charge quite a bit & I've had a bad experience with them. There is also a shop with a great reputation south of me (West Coast Saw) I might ask about putting it together, but not sure he'd be interested in a box of parts.
Soooo... my question is, what is an 066 with mostly all new parts worth in pieces if I were to just sell it or should I just nut up & find someone I trust to do it?
I'm in North Bend, WA

Pics

Attachments

• 20201114_101803.jpg
    20201114_101803.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 36
  • 20201114_101812.jpg
    20201114_101812.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 34
  • 20201114_101822.jpg
    20201114_101822.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 20201114_101832.jpg
    20201114_101832.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 35
If they are selling this near you for 500 and an 064 is showing about 700, I guess it's up to you.
d92a592c18d4db5bf2a5d04f6b586003.jpg

So what suddenly changed that you do not have the time?
You have a lot of money tied up in parts and shipping to get to where you are at- for the want of a couple of hours assembly time.
I would build it, run it a bit and sell if it did not suit.
To sell as is I think you might realise a substantial loss.

This morning i paid a bit over 600 for a new Holzfforma G660, modded muffler, h/o oiler, different top end and bar/chain.

So you arent alone on the poor financial decision group[emoji23]

Id find some time and build it. In pieces its worth maybe 250 as a box of mixed parts.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

So what suddenly changed that you do not have the time?
You have a lot of money tied up in parts and shipping to get to where you are at- for the want of a couple of hours assembly time.
I would build it, run it a bit and sell if it did not suit.
To sell as is I think you might realise a substantial loss.

My obsession with hunting & 2 small kids & a demanding job.
If Im being honest, I feel kinda over my head on it a bit. Especially with splitting bottom case & replacing bearings & throtlle control system. If I knew someone locsl that wouldn't mind coming over & helping with a few sections of it, that would be great. Pro shop said they would split & do bottom bearings, but it wasn't cheap.
Think it's worth asking for someone local to help me out? Or is that asking too much. Ide make it worth their time obviously. Shoot, if I got the feeling I could trust them, I would leave it with them & pay them.
Just tired of seeing it in pieces.
Been using my old 461 for seldom mill work.
I'm mildly mechanically inclined. Lots of dirtbikes, but time is just not something I have for another project.
Thoughts on another thread asking if one of you saw experts wants a quick side project for some xmass $$?

Wonder if Gordy from Westcoast saws is on here? I've seen his work & something like this may be beneath him? As in just not in his current buisness model of hot rodding saws.

I take it you’re in/ near Washington? I think @Yotaismygame is up by Wa/Or, he might be able to do it or recommend a shop up there.
Thanks. They are several pro shops around. Was hoping to find someone who just wanted a quick side job & knew what they were doing.
Yes, North Bend, Wa, but would travel a bit. Rather have it built than sell at a loss

My obsession with hunting & 2 small kids & a demanding job.
If Im being honest, I feel kinda over my head on it a bit. Especially with splitting bottom case & replacing bearings & throtlle control system. If I knew someone locsl that wouldn't mind coming over & helping with a few sections of it, that would be great. Pro shop said they would split & do bottom bearings, but it wasn't cheap.
Think it's worth asking for someone local to help me out? Or is that asking too much. Ide make it worth their time obviously. Shoot, if I got the feeling I could trust them, I would leave it with them & pay them.
Just tired of seeing it in pieces.
Been using my old 461 for seldom mill work.
I'm mildly mechanically inclined. Lots of dirtbikes, but time is just not something I have for another project.
Thoughts on another thread asking if one of you saw experts wants a quick side project for some xmass $$?
I like your honesty- plenty have dived in full of enthusiasm, sat looking at boxes of bits for a while- all the time dreading they have actually forgotten how it all goes back together.
Splitting the cases without the tooling might let you down a bit, but can be done with heat and hammers.
Couple of good solid hours would have all them bits back into something that resembles an 066 again- rather than boxes of frustration.
Bound to be some guys on here with very good videos of them building up similar powerheads that can be invaluable to jog memories of how thing go back together.

Saws in a box are a rabbit hole unfortunately. No matter how good someone is, there is always something missing.

Id say it’s worth $400 as is.

You might find someone to split case, install bearings and assemble the entire long block for you for around $200 plus shipping. It’s saves you on labor and shipping that way, you’d have to install the other stuff. Much more compact, especially if you leave the brake handle off.

A porter might port saw for the same price and do the extra for another $100. Most of what‘s gotta come apart and be reassembled is already there.

Saws in a box are a rabbit hole unfortunately. No matter how good someone is, there is always something missing.

Id say it’s worth $400 as is.

You might find someone to split case, install bearings and assemble the entire long block for you for around $200 plus shipping. It’s saves you on labor and shipping that way, you’d have to install the other stuff. Much more compact, especially if you leave the brake handle off.

A porter might port saw for the same price and do the extra for another $100. Most of what‘s gotta come apart and be reassembled is already there.
I agree with DRF255. I might be interested. I'm a few weeks out right now. Issue is what DRF said about being a rabbit hole. Sucks getting into rabbit holes.

Latest posts

Back