whats its worth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madstone

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good resource for obtaining prices for used saws? Kinda of like a kelley blue book for chainsaws. I have come down with a case of cad and have come across numerous saws for sale but also don't want to over pay some saws are older but a goody thing. Some are newer models.

E-bay. The e-bay craziness has driven even total junk up in price!

Well to me there are 3 different price guides....1. ebay(the highest possible value) 2. what it goes for on here..AS 3. what it goes for locally(cheapest value...craigs list mostly)

A good used saw, or part should be priced at half that of a new saw or part.

A good used saw, or part should be priced at half that of a new saw or part.

+1

Unless the saw is beat to hell ect.

The other thing is the OLDER saws. like 034's.. 021's 009's ect. They are not based on anything i can figure out for a price level.

If you use ebay and are buying and want to make "local" offers take the ebay price and figure about 60% for a starting price and 80% or so for about the highest you want to go.

Around here it seems like the kooks are posting on Craigslist. There's an 025 for $225 and an 041 for $250 right now, for example. For an 041FB to command that kind of dough it had better come with some cocaine and hookers.

Saw prices are funny.

You can look on ebay but you have to watch a few of the same type at different times of the year to get a real idea. Looks seems to matter more than actual condition. an 026 with new plastic can sometimes fetch more than an ms 260 that looks beat up even if the first is 10 years older.

In my area people often try to get more for a saw than it could be sold for on ebay. They never sell but people try so always make an offer. Un less it says "firm" next to the price "obo" is implied.

The half what new theory only works in some cases. an 026 isn't worth half what a new 261 cost (at least not in my opinion because I just bought one for $50). same saw, different year??? opinions vary.

the condition of the saw is everything. some times good things come in ugly packages unless your thinking of re sale in which case looks means a lot as long as it runs decent.

The bottom line: there is no good reliable source other than your own wisdom. Just because you have seen 3- ms 460's for sale at $600 each doesn't mean they are worth that much always. At some place, some time , some condition , with some extra something..... Only you can decide it.

Around here it seems like the kooks are posting on Craigslist. There's an 025 for $225 and an 041 for $250 right now, for example. For an 041FB to command that kind of dough it had better come with some cocaine and hookers.

Now you tell me !
got a 041av i just put $100 worth of stihl b&C on and was going to ask $225 for :(
thats not counting the carb rebuild kit,the fuel lines etc..

Price guide won't work

It is impossible to do a "blue book" type price guide on saws like can be done on a vehicle or boat. The main reason? If you have 100 cars that have the same amount of mileage and are the same age, the condition on average will be similar because people use vehicles in a similar way. ie, they drive on similar roads, similar speeds and of course maintenance can and will vary but most people change their oil and fix things as they break. Ok, now you have 10 chainsaws that are the same age. 10 different people operated them from the "you need to add oil in the gas too?" guy to the professional that handles and maintains it properly but runs the ####ens out of it making a living. Then most of them are homeowners or firewood cutters that may be skilled in operating them but don't really use them that often so they sit around and get gummed up from disuse.

When you are looking at photos of a saw, about all the data you may have other than cosmetic appearance is the manufacturer and probably the model. Some models have been made for years so the age of the saw is not even likely known.

So value wise, if that model of a saw is still made, the current price is useful for a benchmark. If it is an old model or collectible, then how many are around and how many are getting to the market dictates price as it is the typical supply/demand thing.

Professional model saws will bring a higher price but the chances of it being worn out are higher too. The throwaway models like newer Poulan, Homelite, Craftsman, etc are not usually worth much used because they don't cost much new. I put these saws into the "keep one in the back of your pickup" category.

If you are interested in a particular model of saw, search completed listings on eBay, keep and eye on Craigslist and see what they go for. That will give an idea of whether you are likely paying more or less than the typical sales price. but again, you have to determine the value for the particular saw in question and its value may/will be different than another one of the same model in a different condition.

Start out only buying cheap saws and limit your losses until you get good at assessing the market and saw condition. If you are mechanical, buy them broken for cheap and fix them up. Keep in mind the cost of parts can make it cost more than a new one would have been. The whole used saw thing is a crap shoot but that is some of the excitement in finding good buys or reselling one at a profit. There's plenty of stuff for sale so get in the fray!

Back