What's mill would you buy ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work on that beam Trx ! Pretty uniform looking piece.

Thanks ,the shorter ones i can do a lot easier ,made a couple 8ft6 footers last night 6x12 out of one log ,i get pretty good results if i measure and draw on the end of the log with a square ,it does not take much of a tilt in the log dogs to throw you off 1/4 of an inch ,if i go pretty slow in the cut ,i can get a pretty nice finish similar to a bandsaw if not smoother ,i am pretty new at milling ,but am learning more the more i do ,seems like my cedar comes out nicer than my fir does though ,maybe due to the softer fibers

For sure on the WRC. I have done quite a bit of both, more doug fir though. Have to sharpen a little more often for fir, but it still does well, especially if you can mill while it is green. Goes easier.

I'm just getty ready to order a panther pro carriage mill. I do not have large wood so an 18 in or 22 in would be sufficient. I only want to cut rough lumber for garage, camp and bridge decking. But it seem like the panther pro website is not running. Hope it"s only temporary.

Danthe
Any reservations about the log resting on the carriage? It seems to me it would need to be strong and well supported to handle the rigours of everyday use. I haven't read anyone having any trouble with Kim's mills, but knowing my luck, I'd roll the log off the forks just a little too harshly and the log would point it's load on the one area of the carriage I didn't support well.

Any reservations about the log resting on the carriage? It seems to me it would need to be strong and well supported to handle the rigours of everyday use. I haven't read anyone having any trouble with Kim's mills, but knowing my luck, I'd roll the log off the forks just a little too harshly and the log would point it's load on the one area of the carriage I didn't support well.

I will not have that issue.
1- I do not have any log over 14-15 in.
2- I will be the forks:(...I will roll the log on the track so I do like not having to lift the logs.
3- I will building my own track with 1 1/2 in square tubing (I will buy the carriage not the track)

He can expect my order in a few days.

New weekend warrior mill including 395 chainsaw on Trademe auctions $7.5k .

Back