What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Brush Bandit hydraulic feed commercial chipper (JD diesel powered I'm doing an infeed rebuild on and welding up the eroded knife wheel as well as putting an access door in the chute as it has a habit of plugging up. It's a trade job. The arborist that owns it I trade for aerial tree work as I'm too old for that crap anymore. No pictures, but a ton of work plus I sharpen all his chains and work on his bucket (Alltec) truck as well. Don't mind trading at all. keeps my wallet his fuller. and keeps me from getting hurt as well. Also have 2 large excavator buckets that need some TLC and a D8 dozer blade as well along with the dozer sitting on a 50 ton detach in the side yard. Busy winter for me.

a hidden feature that I've only ever seen on Parker vices is this little screw. there is a spring and brass slug on the inside that lets you preload the handle, so it stays in position without dropping thru the meatball when you spin it. the brass slug on mine was missing so I used an old McCulloch carb check valve.aa.jpgPXL_20231221_154219155.MP.jpgPXL_20231221_154345193.MP.jpg

thinking about a low pedestal. or something..it would work on the bench but its 14" tall and I'm short.
A pedestal is a good idea for a big vise. Mine puts the top of the jaws at elbow height, I'd make it 2 inches lower if I were doing it again. Also don't put the column in the center of the base as I did. Try to get the center of gravity of the whole shebang centered over the base. It makes moving it around easier if the CG isn't going up and down as you roll on the rim of the base.

My base is 3/4" x 24" diameter. I got that part right, never wished it was bigger so far. I have worked with a pedestal vise where the base was thinner, but large enough so you were standing on it. Helpful if you're hand bending heavy bars or wrenching on something in the vise.

Attachments

• 20231230_191641.jpg
    20231230_191641.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
A pedestal is a good idea for a big vise. Mine puts the top of the jaws at elbow height, I'd make it 2 inches lower if I were doing it again. Also don't put the column in the center of the base as I did. Try to get the center of gravity of the whole shebang centered over the base. It makes moving it around easier if the CG isn't going up and down as you roll on the rim of the base.

My base is 3/4" x 24" diameter. I got that part right, never wished it was bigger so far. I have worked with a pedestal vise where the base was thinner, but large enough so you were standing on it. Helpful if you're hand bending heavy bars or wrenching on something in the vise.
great info, thanks! this thing weighs 149 lbs and of course the COG changes when you crank the jaw out almost 14". will need to do some experimenting.

PXL_20231230_224015506.MP.jpgPXL_20231230_223442729.MP.jpg

This one will be getting a new fuel filter and fuel line ,a new plug and a good cleaning in the morning, and I need to dress the bow a bit. Runs good otherwise.
I see dozens of old Poulans with bow bars for sale in Georgia marketplace ads. It may have something to do with the pecan industry up there.

sometimes it's not whatz on ur bench, but more so... what did u get off your bench!

just got rid of an Echo trimmer! 👍

their BIG Echo PPT-280! w/4' extension... both brand new still NIB. bot 5/15! never read the OM, never cut a chip a wood! i had ideas, but did little more than fire it up 18 mo or so after purchase. still had the shop's fuel in it. then it sat...
and sat... i had both ends bagged! keeping clean and dry. sold it other day. close to what i paid for it new. all i did was tell the guy i had it, and mite like to get rid of it. his next words: "I WANT IT!"

so we made a deal subject to it running, of course. i thot about draining the fuel.

got it out, took bag off engine. opened fuel tank... expecting the worst. but omg! :surprised3: smelled fresh like put in yesterday! i thot... 'why not!' so pulled thru, choked, purged... OFF switch back to ON and pulled.... and pullled.... and

it started and ran on 3rd pull! 🤩 shot some vids and sound for the buyer! he was excited!! :blob2: text'd back... "sounds great! I WANT IT!"

well, hope this post not too out of context. i mean, not actually what is on my bench. that would take too many pages to talk about! LOL :sucks:

but i kinda did want to tell someone about that old gas.... ;)

gone...
1703995757535.png

Back