What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of you never know, here's the clutch bearing from my 661. The plastic on this side is worn right off as if someone put it on a sanding belt. You can even see little gobs of what looks like melted plastic pushed over onto the sides of the cage. The other side is intact. I've never seen one of these bearings become damaged like this, I am having trouble figuring out how it happened. Unless maybe it was assembled totally incorrectly or something.

IMG20220701071401.jpg

Speaking of you never know, here's the clutch bearing from my 661. The plastic on this side is worn right off as if someone put it on a sanding belt. You can even see little gobs of what looks like melted plastic pushed over onto the sides of the cage. The other side is intact. I've never seen one of these bearings become damaged like this, I am having trouble figuring out how it happened. Unless maybe it was assembled totally incorrectly or something.

View attachment 1000080

What would happen say if the needles stopped rolling in that bearing?
Like if the bearing was that packed with grime or lacking in any form of lubrication?

it is! u r right. but i guess, even eventually... i will get tossed out, too!!!

got my lil hammer project half-a**'d together, but then ran across TNN hickory handles. their tech told me what was wrong with my project, so i wham, bam... thank you! and knocked the head back off. cut a wood wdge slot in handle end, modded up the wedge, lubed it all (wood) with Titebond glue... and wham/bamm'd that in... trimmed and set it all with a steel wedge. couple days later worked on the handle end missing piece. wood filler all but dry mud. but wet enuff err moist... to smear in place. and some touch ups next day. its last 'hurrah!' stain test says wood filler will look good stained along with the hickory! all that has gone well...
View attachment 991226View attachment 991227View attachment 991228View attachment 991229View attachment 991230View attachment 991231
and some artsie/tartsie art n paint planned now for the hammer head. :)

noting Note A in their guide

https://www.tennesseehickory.com/images/RehandlingDirections.pdf
P1010016.JPGP1010018.JPGP1010020.JPG

What would happen say if the needles stopped rolling in that bearing?
Like if the bearing was that packed with grime or lacking in any form of lubrication?

Is that a rhetorical question? 😄 I'd imagine the cage would be a little more universally destroyed than it is here. Under the grime, this cage is in perfect shape other than the end being worn totally off, and the needles cleaned up good and roll fine. I don't think this was a straightforward failure from contamination or lack of lubrication, it looks as if it was forced sideways in a way that was outside what was the intent of normal operation.

Is that a rhetorical question? 😄 I'd imagine the cage would be a little more universally destroyed than it is here. Under the grime, this cage is in perfect shape other than the end being worn totally off, and the needles cleaned up good and roll fine. I don't think this was a straightforward failure from contamination or lack of lubrication, it looks as if it was forced sideways in a way that was outside what was the intent of normal operation.

Okay, I see a bearing that was stuck to the crank and spinning as a unit inside the clutch bell.
But I do not have the bearing in my hands.

Yeah, I'll admit my photo is pretty bad, the lighting in my garage is poor at best. I should have taken an "after" photo once I'd rinsed it out.

I'll pull the flywheel next, check the keyway... Once I did one of these and the flywheel was actually the wrong part number, for a different model saw! You never know when someone brings you a used saw what's been done to it.
Okay, went out this morning and pulled the flywheel off. I didn't notice anything amiss in the flywheel, keyway and built-in key just fine, flywheel nice and tight and the main seal behind it was nice and dry also. I guess while I have it down this far I'll do a pressure test on it next..
You'd have thought that for a saw that wouldn't hit that I'd have seen something by now that wasn't right. Oh yeah, the fuel is fuel I've used to start other saws so it's not old or anything..

Yeah... took a while to clear out and off the buildup so this thing can breathe again. Installed 2 new heat inserts, new solid tip spark plug, new air filter with after filter. Waiting on a whole mess of other parts to show up.

Did some cleaning yesterday. Too hot and humid here today to do squat so stayed in the AC.

1656983905560.png 1656983936470.png 1656983959506.png

Well.... divorce had to happen eventually to the concrete saw #2. Decided to fuel it up before I put all the plastics back on and noticed a fuel leak on the bottom of the carb. NFG!!!

What a damn PITA to get that carb off! And insult to injury, more cleaning of crap buildup. And yup, diaphragms in carb garbage. Waiting game on the kit now...

1658023491717.png 1658023520054.png 1658023538151.png

Took a gamble on this one! Craftsman trimmer been hanging in a garage for 6 years. A friend of mine said a buddy from work wanted it fixed so I verified good compression and press/vacc test. All checked out great so new China carb with fuel lines, filters and all the glam for $18.00. Champion spark plug $1.99.

And the damn thing runs perfect! I had no hope going into this dumpster fire but was surprised. The other concern was the line head spins all the time. Well.... of course it will cause it has no clutch! LOL

1658024071713.png 1658024105145.png

Doing port work on a Stihl 192tc ATM...or I'm at least theorizing what I want to do. My current plan is to raise the exhaust and probably try to raise the transfers while I'm at it...open transfers, so quite a bit easier to get a burr in there. Some muffler mods and advance the timing and then call it done.

Luckily this saw isn't mine lol...actually that makes it worse. It's a pretty unimpressive runner right now, so I don't know how I could screw it up.

Back