What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What model is the bigger Partner?I have two R420s and two P70s I really like these saws they are well laid out start and run really well and they cut very good.
Kash
P100 Super
Had to replace a crankshaft I damaged removing the flywheel. Also, the previous mechanic had bent the copper tube for the oil tank vent down into a semi-circle so that it was submerged in oil. The result of that was when you turn the saw off everything in there gets real hot and starts to expand and then it is forced out the vent tube. It empties the oil tank down to the level of the vent tube opening. Made a hell of a mess. Fixed that.
80F5051F-C656-46F7-A457-057FC526DB9C.jpeg

MS661 I bought as a basket case, missing several important parts (cylinder, muffler, handle, sprocket cover, intake boot, etc) and no idea on history or condition. I've put it mostly back together and am just waiting on a few screws from the dealer to get the handle on and get it ready to use. In the meantime I started it up and let it idle for a few minutes. Popped on the first pull and started on the second, not too shabby for how much of a mess it was!

IMG20220626122706.jpg

The piston was present when I bought the saw and had some scoring on the exhaust end, towards the clutch side. It passed leak and vacuum tests after I rebuilt it so I'm not sure if the scoring was from a lube failure or due to an air leak in something I replaced (i.e. the intake boot). It did have a small amount of gas in it when I got it, and the gas did have oil in it, but who knows. I put a hyway cylinder and piston kit on it since I couldn't find an OEM at a reasonable price. I'm pretty happy with the hyway parts.

IMG20220622172116.jpg

The only outstanding potential issue is that there's a lot of black sludgy buildup behind the clutch. Not sure if it has a bar oil leak or something else is going on, or maybe it's just dirty from use or misuse. I'm going to clean the sludge off and keep an eye on it to see if I can spot a fresh leak once it's got some time on it. No immediate signs of damage or anything severe and it holds oil in the tank just fine.

The damage to that piston could have been caused by crud blocking the cooling fins on the cylinder. It may not be a leak. Couldn’t hurt to check for that, but if the saw is encased in crud , that would be your answer.

The damage to that piston could have been caused by crud blocking the cooling fins on the cylinder. It may not be a leak. Couldn’t hurt to check for that, but if the saw is encased in crud , that would be your answer.

Yeah, could have been that I suppose. Really hard to say since the cylinder wasn't included with the saw, so I have no idea what sort of shape it was in.

The clutch area was the only area which was really cruddy, as far as I could tell.

I'm hoping to put some hours on it this weekend, so we'll see how that goes!

Pretty bad when I don't even know what kind of saw is on my bench. Turns out the 311 is actually a 361, it said 311 on one spot and 361 on another. I looked it up and it looks like a 361. I rechecked it again today and it had noticeable spark but this 79 year old guy can't pull the saw over hard enough to get a compression check or to get it to start. I think I'm gonna find a younger arm to pull it over and see what I have...Funny, the 361 I own isn't that hard to start!

Someone could modify the engine compression and more oil or carbon will increase it too
Yes, it could be carboned up. Another thing is the comp. release may be carboned up also, I have a Husqvarna 353 that needs a new release valve..
Usually, the saws I get in here are likely to be neglected so I usually don't consider any of them to have been modified, since most modifiers keep their equipment clean..
I think I'll ask the owner of this saw how much he wants to spend on repairs because it'll probably need torn down if it's carboned up or needs a rebuild like mine did..

I took the 361 apart and the rings and piston look perfect, no scratches on it or the cylinder. I checked the top of the piston and it had no carbon on the top. I think I will order a new comp. release valve for it and look under the cylinder to see if they put a gasket under it, I assume it has because I don't think the muffler has ever been removed since new because the little covers are still on the front muffler bolt holes..

I took the clutch off again to have another look at the gunk. I'm pretty convinced that it's just normal gunk and not an active leak back there.

Bad news though, as I was putting the clutch back together, I thought something seemed off, so I took it back apart again and looked at the components, and I realized that the needle bearing is shot. The plastic has been worn away on the very bottom edge of the bearing, such that you can push the needles sideways and sort of slide them out. I've never seen one fail like that...

I took the clutch off again to have another look at the gunk. I'm pretty convinced that it's just normal gunk and not an active leak back there.

Bad news though, as I was putting the clutch back together, I thought something seemed off, so I took it back apart again and looked at the components, and I realized that the needle bearing is shot. The plastic has been worn away on the very bottom edge of the bearing, such that you can push the needles sideways and sort of slide them out. I've never seen one fail like that...
It's odd that the aftermarket bearings have metal cages whereas the OEM are some kind of plastic..

I'm open to suggestions on the 361. I can't see any reason why it won't fire when you drop a little fuel mix in the spark plug hole, since it has compression and spark. I suppose I could check the flywheel key to make sure it's on correctly, maybe do a vac/pressure test. If those turn out all right then I'm REALLY open to suggestions!

Compression + air + fuel + timing + spark. You've basically confirmed three of the four, right? Timing seems like the next thing to check!

Compression + air + fuel + timing + spark. You've basically confirmed three of the four, right? Timing seems like the next thing to check!
I'll pull the flywheel next, check the keyway... Once I did one of these and the flywheel was actually the wrong part number, for a different model saw! You never know when someone brings you a used saw what's been done to it.

Back