Whats the average pay for a climber who can do it all?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow those rates are really high compared to the midwest. I think top climbers are getting around $16-$18. In our area we do a lot of trimming and the removals we do are usually out of a bucket. I find that having a good trainer climber is essential. The trainer is the main climber, but he takes the "green climber up with him all the time. Our area has a lot of basic trimming and deadwooding and the trees in large percentage are not that big. So getting a guy in a tree trimming deadwood with a pole saw is not too tough This has been a way to keep a guy in the system. So if a climber quits we are not hanging. We also cross train our help to be chemical applicators, I try to avoid letting a climber hold to much power over what happens in my business. We try to keep a team concept on the crew and the guy with responsibility is the foreman, he is not always the top climber he just has the ability to get the work done. Someone who will step up and lead a crew effectively is a huge plus for daily production. I have been lucky because most of my guys have been with me for a while. This year I will be hiring another climber that is more skilled, I have 1 now and myself to do the large removals. I still do it but would hate to do it daily again. We also try to make it fairly easy to get the work done, we try to have plenty of manpower, and the right equipment at there disposal. The hardest part of the job is usually on the ground so this combination helps. The unfortunate part about in house training, is at some point those guys can leave for better jobs with the municipalities or go into business and compete with you, but thats all part of the game.

I've always gotten 200-300 a day.
I wont do another person job unless I like them alot.
Rish life limb for a egoist.. Not me.
Tomm is a 500 day. After I bid 4 dead pines.
Im booked up full for a week already and its really dead of winter.
Spikeless pays in repeats.

xtremetrees said:
wizard thats how it should always be a team effort
Well glad you got the right attitude about that. Some dont. I prefer guys that work together well, one bad apple can mess things up. Your down in Georgia huh? Lots of big old trees down your way.

SCE1966 said:
Well glad you got the right attitude about that. Some dont. I prefer guys that work together well, one bad apple can mess things up. Your down in Georgia huh? Lots of big old trees down your way.
Oh yeah! going to prune and cable a 42" Beech tomarrow, and then wednesday i will be removing a 40" popular..... lots of big trees around here

Latest posts

Back