What's the best all around saw for work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope it's me Mark.......I've been pondering the true meaning of "worksaw" for a bit.....this is just sort of my way of gaining some other folks insight on the matter.

Really?

Thing is everyone's work is different, therefore saw types and sizes will be also.

I will third the vote on the 330, as much as most regular firewood won't want to admit it, it is a fine choice. It aol put a lot of wood in the truck without a lot of drama.

tazusehu.jpg

So much for you being a Gold technician...

Best saw

Ok....so far most of the guys want a saw that starts easily, idles without loading up.....and in Scott's case is light.

I use a bunch of different saws.....most of the time they are one's I've just built and need to put some fuel through them for testing. Yesterday I dropped a 36" oak and bucked it up with a modded 385XP......really strong but damn that's a loud saw to be using for hours on end. I'm thinking of ways the mod a muffler that keep it quite but let it breathe.

The best saw is the one you use most,because-- light weight ,ST. Handling ,noise ,and being accustom to the characteristics that saw has ,starting ,fuel use,air filter service.that being said,I liked old 266se over all other saws,272 ,357 ,61 ,it just felt right.the 357 made me consider weight even more but still choose 266 .Now the 562 is the saw ,do I use others sure,but I reach for 562 first.The 346 guys will tell you,it works because it feels right.Same way I feel about 562 .until a lighter ,better( IMO ) comes along 266 Se is now a 562 Xp based on the few saws I have owned-

My second vote is for mini Mac on nitrous with a 36" bar and harvester chain with no rakers.

I had a modded muffler on my 385 and absolutely hated it. It would make your ears ring through the best ear plugs. You could hear that saw on other side of the valley, 7-8 miles away. You could feel the sound waves reflecting back off the log you were bucking and hitting you in the chest.

Sounds more like you hated it because you were working a day-rate, and the bullbuck could hear if your saw wasn't running......."Oregun Cull"......Hahahahahahaha!

You can gold plate dog doo if you try hard enough...

That guy got sent packing. He thought it was a "factory second" machine. He got corrected.

I thought about getting one of those Chicom knock-offs to see if they could be made into a runner with some work. Then I realized it would be easier and quicker to just step in front of a speeding train.

For the type of work that I do, my go to or "Best" work saw is my 028 AV Super.......... has not let me down yet :D. I can always rely on that saw but sometimes I will use my 50 Rancher (white top) also very reliable.

I had a modded muffler on my 385 and absolutely hated it. It would make your ears ring through the best ear plugs. You could hear that saw on other side of the valley, 7-8 miles away. You could feel the sound waves reflecting back off the log you were bucking and hitting you in the chest.

I hope my 385 project ends up like this.

044 with a 24" bar

Funny, my 038 MAG II (same B & C) has a bigger engine, is heavier, and really lets you know you used her ............ the 044 is just smoother, has more power, and easier to use all day, every day.

Anymore I find myself taking 2 saws in the woods. 357xp and 670champ. Unless I hit really large wood the rest stay home. The 670 is one of the smoothest saws I've ever run.
But I find myself running the 357xp more and more.But I'm just a firewood hack.
The 357 with an 18" bar covers most of what I cut.I like the feel and balance.Just needs a littlle white splashed here and there................

90% of the time...026 Pro w/ 16" bar. The remainder is spent behind a 10mm wristpin 044 w/ 20" bar. Love em both. They just get it done. Wife does the light limbing w/ 017. Good wife ! :msp_wub:

Which ever saw fits the bill at the time and gets the job done

346xp OE Husqvarna 18" bar STOCK light and nimble
262xp Husqvarna 24" bar STOCK Most used
064 Stihl 32" bar STOCK For the big stuff
670 Jonsered 24" bar STOCK Back Up

Not that it matters, but my two favorites are both homeowner saws. 029 Super (go figure) and 023L. In reality, I grab the one with the best chain and the most gas in it.

That's right......I did it. I asked the dumb question. :msp_sneaky:

What saw is it that you prefer when you are working? Not just that though......I wanna know why you like that one over the others in your lineup. Does it just feel better.......is it light but strong........how about fuel mileage and fumes? Forget cookie cutters for now, lets talk about what makes the perfect worksaw.

Yes, dumba$$ question!.......some work, yet some work to play. When playing, I prefer to work with the best!.........Hahahahahaha!

100MEDIAIMAG02532_zps6f6479f5.jpg

Latest posts

Back