What's the best all around saw for work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whats your favorite Randy ? you get them all in your hands and get to test about every model out there ,your input would be one of the best on this site in my opinion :D

whats your favorite Randy ? you get them all in your hands and get to test about every model out there ,your input would be one of the best on this site in my opinion :D

He can't give a full opinion......he's never had one of my saw in his hands......Hahahahahahaha!

Snow day today...

Work tasks: clearing stone walls; reclaiming portions of old farm fields to create open space near residences, roads and water features; clearing and thinning below canopy to make wooded areas walkable; cutting trails; falling diseased, storm-damaged or dead trees.
Max tree dia.: 36"
Products: Landscape improvements and Firewood.

Go-to saw: MS260 pro or equivalent 50cc class. MS260: Good power, no quirks, always starts, dependable, easy to clean/maintain, no repairs or failures in 200 hrs. 50cc saw is most efficient for typical wood sizes encountered; less weight = better handling and longer sessions without tiring; less fuel consumption, fewer cutters to sharpen on 16" bar. Would be happy with MS261 or 550xp. Prefer broad torque band. Would prefer breathing less exhaust in close quarters.
Bigger wood: MS440 or equivalent 70cc class. Torque.

Last edited:

I've got no lies to tell. I'm a favor of the moment sort of guy. It depends on the size of the wood I cutting and how steep the hills are. Right this minute though I'm really digging my wildly ported 372XP that's blowing 205psi. :msp_w00t:

He can't give a full opinion......he's never had one of my saw in his hands......Hahahahahahaha!

The same can be said for you old boy. :laugh:

You really need a Mastermind Worksaw in your line up. :)

I've got no lies to tell. I'm a favor of the moment sort of guy. It depends on the size of the wood I cutting and how steep the hills are. Right this minute though I'm really digging my wildly ported 372XP that's blowing 205psi. :msp_w00t:

The same can be said for you old boy. :laugh:

You really need a Mastermind Worksaw in your line up. :)

Did you get my email? I sent a short video of my 350. I think it'd benefit from a 3/8 8 pin. Let me know what you think. And when can I run your 372 :msp_w00t:

Did you get my email? I sent a short video of my 350. I think it'd benefit from a 3/8 8 pin. Let me know what you think. And when can I run your 372 :msp_w00t:

I don't think it needs an 8 pin. It would like a sweetly ground square ground chain better.

I don't think it needs an 8 pin. It would like a sweetly ground square ground chain better.

So you think its set up well from what you'be seen? I am not sure how to post pictures from my phone on here. Still think I need medication or do you like where the beaver project is going ?

The other guys were splitting and I was noodling the rounds into manageable sizes.......watching them wince when the exhaust was pointed their way was telling........then Rudy says "damn that's a loud saw"........not once but maybe ten times. :msp_sneaky:

Recently picked up the Rockman premium forestry helmet on sale from Bailey's. I had used a Stihl helmet for years. First thing I noticed with the Rockman was that the earmuffs provide a lot more hearing protection than the Stihl did.

oh ya

Old Mastermonkey has cured my fellow workers of not wearing hearing protection-361 style- barky little rascal .

The other guys were splitting and I was noodling the rounds into manageable sizes.......watching them wince when the exhaust was pointed their way was telling........then Rudy says "damn that's a loud saw"........not once but maybe ten times. :msp_sneaky:

Exactly why I didn't muffler mod my 026 and will keep one 372 stock. There are sometimes I just don't need that much noise... yes performance is lost but I can manage.

My favorite was my 026 that recently left. Right now I'm digging my open port 268 pretty well. I was running a 20" .325 on the 026 and the 268 does 20" so much better. I do know that I will need to find another 50 cc saw though.. they fit in the truck floor board, not too big but big enough to get out of a jam and loops and bars are easy to source on the fly if you need to.

Ok....so far most of the guys want a saw that starts easily, idles without loading up.....and in Scott's case is light.

I use a bunch of different saws.....most of the time they are one's I've just built and need to put some fuel through them for testing. Yesterday I dropped a 36" oak and bucked it up with a modded 385XP......really strong but damn that's a loud saw to be using for hours on end. I'm thinking of ways the mod a muffler that keep it quite but let it breathe.

I don't mind a loud saw if the bite matches the bark. My go to general cutter is my lightwehgt RH start Mac 10-10A. If I need more cc, the PM700. I mill mostly with the 372XPW, and for big wood currently it's my 075. I really like the Macs overall, they will start on a dime, and run great!:rock::rock:

Latest posts

Back