What's the best backpack blower on the market?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the best BP blower on the market today?

• Shindaiwa EB802

Votes: 28 22.2%
  • Redmax EBZ8050/EBZ8001

Votes: 53 42.1%
  • Echo PB-770

Votes: 45 35.7%

• Total voters
In this context with a high power blower "bombs away" get's a whole new meaning...
Yup, after that job the boots look like they're caked with mud, and the floor heaters in the truck "make it smell funny."

Dealer didn't have the Husqvarna 580BTS in stock so tried on the 570BTS. Just as many here reported, it's uncomfortable on the back even with all the prominent padding and feels heavy; the throttle grip feels weak, cheap, and uncomfortable (it's offset to the right); the tubes and flexible control pipe are thin--to me, typical Husky pro-consumer quality that should be sold at a big-box store. There is good air cooling over the cylinder fins. Also as was reported here, the dealer said they're pretty reliable with very few issues.

Tried on the RedMax EBZ8500RH, and it would seem a bit big and heavy for the average-framed guy, but felt lighter than the 570BFS despite having 10cc more displacement, and was comfortable! Dealer said Husqvarna is targeted more towards homeowners and RedMax toward contractors, and although they're the same internals the externals are different. Maybe the padding makes it sit closer on the back and feel lighter, or maybe the 580 has the same frame as the EBZ8500, but it sure feels better than the 570. The tubes and control pipe are thicker, still somewhat thin but on that size unit weight is a consideration. The throttle grip is over the control tube and rotates left/right freely, has a more ergonomic design, is sturdy, and with the thicker control pipe fell right into position--I like it. The cylinder fins have more plastic over them on the left but a larger opening on the right, and the outer housing is smaller exposing the carburetor more which is probably good for people with large hands.

Although I had previously managed to talk myself into liking the Husqvarna 580BTS, the trip to the dealer has me liking the RedMax EBZ8500RH instead (and a lot of ArboristSite folks swear by them). Got a quote on the 8500 w/RedMax oil, extra control pipe and EBZ7500 nozzle, and extra air&fuel filters. Dealer laughed and said that's a ton of power. Bet those lawn bombs get repositioned instead of detonated...

Not the owner's fault, they keep up on the lawn bombs, they just blend into or get covered by the leaves.

By the way, thanks to all who suggested a 2-stroke instead of 4! And also for suggesting Husqvarna--would have never looked otherwise!

Brad: Husqvarna 580 (local dealer only stocks a 570) may have the same thickness tubes as the RedMax 8500? Padding is thicker & there's a waist belt? 580BTS (tube throttle) spec'd at weighing more than the BFS (frame/arm throttle), and it should weigh less without the arm--something is up.

Also note I only compared the tubes on one 570 against one 8500--a person would think they run the same thickness tubes for both on the same production line, but maybe not. I certainly poked and prodded them enough to know the difference (just short of being called a pervert, most likely).

OK so I pulled the trigger today and bought a brand new EBZ8500. Two weeks worth of overtime to afford it! Haha

Anyway........ took a quick look at it before locking it up in the shed. Looks like it's got a fixed jet carb. Only thing I saw was an idle screw. Can anyone confirm this? Strange seeing a fixed carb on a toppa the line machine.

I was thinking the same thing. But it's a dual-throat strato carb. I haven't worked with enough of them yet to know which replacement I can shoehorn in. What'd you use Brad?

I was looking for an RH but no one stocks them here. Oh well. No biggie.

I do want an adjustable carb though. Maybe Terry Landrum can help out.

After 10 tanks of fuel running pretty much at WOT my Husky 580 seems perfect. Don't see any carb adjustments and won't worry until the extended warranty is gone. If there is a need which I doubt.
I'm spoiled with this king of blowers!

I own 2 Shindiawa 802's. Used for landscaping, owner operated. One is probably 7-8 yr old, other one is 3-4 years old. Switched over to red armor oil a few years ago. Neither one of these has given me one problem. Had to replace the right shoulder strap twice (wears out from grabbing it there all the time). In the fall these get used, a lot! My dealer told me the most important thing is after running them hard, let them cool down for a bit before shutting off. I will buy another in a heartbeat. My 2 cents.

thanks for the advice on the cool down I've been going about 30 seconds but I'll take it up a minute or two

I've been trying to figure that out myself. Interested to hear the answer.

Latest posts

Back