What's the best mid range saw for firewood? what do you prefer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if you want real answers to facetious posts... I have had a saw run off every year with all my saws in the same wood. Usually tests are run in 12-16 inch fir but also white oak, cherry, and maple. My saws have included a large list. Every year I have had a 361, the 361 has won the competition. I also had a separate saw comparison last year between my 036 PRO, my stock 361 and another guy's stock 362C-MR in fir and hemlock. The 361 "won" that as well. The guy with the 362 wanted to buy my 361 but I declined that offer. He then made an offer on my 036 and I sold it to him. This year now that I have adapted one of my 026 saws with a low profile B&C, it may win for firewood cutting. It is a light saber for firewood.

I stumbled onto this post due in part to fat finger syndrome. and well. My question...

for mostly <40" trunks.
A used / new 361 044. 440. 441. 046. 460. 461. Ms/mag. Or now realizing a 660" with a 18" is a seemingly acceptable option. :). Wow

Fire wood making saw. Like the pro options. 390 s are fine but like the upgraded pro set up for weight to pwr ratio
All ash oak maple. Have a ms260 for limbs and p85 for a mill
Which of he above saws for felling and bucking/"cord making" is best suited? 60cc. 70cc. 76cc n Why. Thank you for your time.

I love my ms261 for a all around saw. It has one of he best power to weight ratios you will find. It will run a 20" bar no problem. I think the specs on it are something like 10 pounds and 4h.p. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. Either way it is a pleasure to run all day compared to other saws I have.

I use a MS361 with an 18" bar currently. The Husky 365 special is also a good choice, but too close to my 385xp in weight for my liking in 65cc. Look for the most reliable, best power to weight ratio saw in the 60cc class and you will have made a good choice.

I love my ms261 for a all around saw. It has one of he best power to weight ratios you will find. It will run a 20" bar no problem. I think the specs on it are something like 10 pounds and 4h.p. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. Either way it is a pleasure to run all day compared to other saws I have.

if we are on same page, models that is... I agree. my 026 matches those characteristics, too. prolly a boring saw to some here... lol... not ported!! stock all the way! ;)

:laughing:

Do you have the part # for that felling dawg set you have on it? Did you get it right from Stihl?
Hello logeeland: When I asked my Dealer to order me the Kit, I was told that the kits created an overhead of unwanted parts, so, as of late, they only order each individual part as per the customer request. I stood by as he via phone conversation with STIHL (Virginia, USA) confirmed each part needed for my particular saw. I did not need the large clutch cover if I wanted to drill out the pre-set holes located on the inside of my original clutch cover.

I chose the Husqvarna 555.

60cc
Pro built
Non-pro price

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hello logeeland: When I asked my Dealer to order me the Kit, I was told that the kits created an overhead of unwanted parts, so, as of late, they only order each individual part as per the customer request. I stood by as he via phone conversation with STIHL (Virginia, USA) confirmed each part needed for my particular saw. I did not need the large clutch cover if I wanted to drill out the pre-set holes located on the inside of my original clutch cover.
Thank you! I am going to stop by my local dealer tomorrow or Tuesday. I found a part # to give him first and then I will try your way.

Thank you! I am going to stop by my local dealer tomorrow or Tuesday. I found a part # to give him first and then I will try your way.
I would go that way too. It could be that your dealer may have that kit in stock, or enough spare parts to put one together.

Latest posts

Back